SASS Wire Forum

Plane of the Day

HARDPAN :P

Nope.  The engine and engine exhaust placement on the F-117 has nothing to do with "sound."  The placement and ducting is to dissipate the infrared heat signature and to re-direct radar signature.

My only experience with a 117 was an airshow when I was with Civil Air Patrol. One did a fly-by, you couldn't really hear it until it was past you. Now the F-14 that left after it was over was a real trip! Somebody bought the crew extra fuel and the pilot did a take-off and then went vertical until out of sight from the ground......spectacular!:FlagAm::o:rolleyes::blush:

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

HARDPAN :P

Nope.  The engine and engine exhaust placement on the F-117 has nothing to do with "sound."  The placement and ducting is to dissipate the infrared heat signature and to re-direct radar signature.

Such was and still is my understanding.  However, from a small article in Aerospaceweb.org, "Another technique used to make a stealth plane quieter is to place the engines on top of the plane so that their noise is blocked from reaching the ground by the body of the aircraft itself. You can see this method used on both the B-2 stealth bomber and F-117 stealth fighter."  :rolleyes:

Uh... I don't think so.  :lol:

13 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

My only experience with a 117 was an airshow when I was with Civil Air Patrol. One did a fly-by, you couldn't really hear it until it was past you. Now the F-14 that left after it was over was a real trip! Somebody bought the crew extra fuel and the pilot did a take-off and then went vertical until out of sight from the ground......spectacular!:FlagAm::o:rolleyes::blush:

Back in the 90's I lived in a semi-rural area northwest of Fresno.  I was delighted to discover that it was on an approach path to Fresno International Airport, and I got to see a LOT of cool planes headed there for air shows or as a stopover to some other event.  These included B-17's, B-25's (a whole formation once!), various old fighters and other historic birds.  

One afternoon, while sitting at my kitchen table having coffee I heard an awful racket - dashed outside and looked up and there it was - an F-117 headed to Fresno for a weekend air show.  And it was LOUD.  In fact, newscasters and an article in the Fresno Bee commented on how loud it was.  They may have had some sort of "sound stealth" mode, but it was in "off" position that day.

Needless to say, I was near the front of the line to get in to the show the next day.  ^_^

It never ceases to amaze.  Scribes with absolutely NO technical knowledge will PARROT idiocy from other ignorant sources.  The ONLY time a Jet Engine is "quiet" is when running at "Flight Idle" making no power.  And that "quiet" is relative.  

On 5/23/2021 at 2:44 AM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Oh, yeah, a plane. Here's my favourite:

assorted 016.JPG

................ is the coin slot on the other side ?

(looks kinda like a "kiddie ride" at the shopping mall ........ stick kid in 'plane, insert coins, enjoy the "quiet" 'til the coins run out ........)

:P

Speaking of planes of the day, my Father was in the RC AF and assigned at one time to the Golden Hawks aerobatic team, handling scheduling and press.

Here for your enjoyment, The RCAF Golden Hawks:

Golden Hawks 12295694.jpg

RCAF Golden Hawks9598e1.jpg

Golden Hawks 77ceb355f93634.jpg

42 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Speaking of planes of the day, my Father was in the RC AF and assigned at one time to the Golden Hawks aerobatic team, handling scheduling and press.

Here for your enjoyment, The RCAF Golden Hawks:

Golden Hawks 12295694.jpg

RCAF Golden Hawks9598e1.jpg

Golden Hawks 77ceb355f93634.jpg

When did they change the name to Snowbirds?

I saw them perform back in the 90s. Awesome performance.

Abilene Smith and Four Eyed Buck: The Golden Hawks were from the 1960s and used Sabres. They preceded the Snowbirds, who use T-37 Tutors, that are nearing or passed the end of their operational life, according to some aero engineers.

RCAF Golden Hawks 16b4.jpg

Archived