SASS Wire Forum

Plane of the Day

Laid up for a bit, so I'm in the recliner with my laptop watching planes go over on Flightradar24.

My pick of the interesting Plane of the Day:  RAF C-17A Globemaster III.  European military flights are fairly common here, making the swing up over the Maritimes.  It's neat to hear them (sometimes), and then watch them as the pass overhead (or on the screen if they are high).

I don't tire of watching the planes; every day has a surprise.

LL

We have C-17s pass over our house daily, sometimes low enough to hear the hydraulics at work. Sometimes low enough to rattle things inside. On occasion a C-130 will mix it up a bit, or the rare fighter.

Last night around 10:00 we had a couple V-22 Osprey fly over our house heading to the nearby air base. Weird occurrence for that time of night. I am sure it woke everyone in the neighborhood that was asleep. 

3 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Laid up for a bit, so I'm in the recliner with my laptop watching planes go over on Flightradar24.

My pick of the interesting Plane of the Day:  RAF C-17A Globemaster III.  European military flights are fairly common here, making the swing up over the Maritimes.  It's neat to hear them (sometimes), and then watch them as the pass overhead (or on the screen if they are high).

I don't tire of watching the planes; every day has a surprise.

LL

When we were in Charlotte last year a C-17 flew over the apartment complex. We were located only a few miles from the airport. Then I saw it agin about 10 minutes later. And then again.
What the French Onion Dip? I said to myself?

Then on  the news that night they said it had been delivering Covid supplies for the hospitals and circled the city 3 times as a show of support. I understand they did that in other cities too. Made me feel good.

The liquor store down the street was still closed though. :(

I live about 5 miles from the Martinsburg, WV airport which is home base for the 167th Airlift, an all C-17 Squadron. They replaced the C5A's which earlier replaced the C-130's. It can get noisy at times. The C5A's were the worst, but the C-17's are not quiet. They fly quite low when practicing touch and go's. We can usually tell when something big is going on as lots of heavy planes head one after the other in the same direction.

Plane of the Day No. 2:  MC-130J Commando II

One of these chunky tankers coasted in last night at dusk at 450 ft., headed for a landing at Hanscom Field, about 4 miles from me.  Even at lower speed, those four RR turboprops set up quite the vibration.

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/products/c130/mc-130j-commando-ii.html

LL

18 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

When we were in Charlotte last year a C-17 flew over the apartment complex. We were located only a few miles from the airport. Then I saw it agin about 10 minutes later. And then again.
What the French Onion Dip? I said to myself?

Then on  the news that night they said it had been delivering Covid supplies for the hospitals and circled the city 3 times as a show of support. I understand they did that in other cities too. Made me feel good.

The liquor store down the street was still closed though. :(

Now that is a bummer!

Here in Ontario, Canada, the Premier of Ontario made sure the beer and liquor stores all stayed open!

OH Yeah. Planes. Here's my contribution. We call her "VERA" and she's located at WAR BIRDS in Hamilton, Ontario.

_AA! Lancaster VERA 5137.jpg

I get the new F-35s, can hear them pretty well, but have never seen them. Even when it's clear out. Likely looking not far enough ahead of the noise!

3 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Now that is a bummer!

Here in Ontario, Canada, the Premier of Ontario made sure the beer and liquor stores all stayed open!

OH Yeah. Planes. Here's my contribution. We call her "VERA" and she's located at WAR BIRDS in Hamilton, Ontario.

_AA! Lancaster VERA 5137.jpg

The stores were allowed to open. You had to know what you wanted because no one was allowed inside. Long lines in the parking lot.s.

But the closest one to us down the street closed up. Probably had no employees.

The base near us has transitioned from the F 16 to the F 35.  Them things are LOUD!!! They are worse than the F 4's that we used to hear all the time while stationed at George AFB (now closed) in Victorville Ca.  Here at Hill AFB we are right under the final approach so we hear planes all the time.  We are also the repair depot for A-10's and F 16's.   All that along with constant air traffic of the KC 135's,  shooting Touch and Go's out of SLC Reserve base.  C- 5's,  C 17's  are a common sight when deployment is leaving or returning.  Those F-35's are by far the loudest thing in the sky around here. 

I liv within about 4 miles of the Bangor Maine airport. We have an Air National Guard base located there. They fly the KC-135Es. Tankers we hear them frequently and even more so when there was a lot of action in the sand lots. We also get C-5A and the C-17s. Once in a while we will get other countries tankers, they are usually accompanying some of their fighters. There is a General Electric manufacturing plant near the airport and once in a while we will get the Antonov 225 in for pickup. I have not seen one land but I have heard it when it takes off and have seen it on the tarmac.

When I first moved here I could always tell if the big jets coming in were the tankers because I could see the long smoke trail. They changed engines and it made it a bit harder to tell after that.

20 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The stores were allowed to open. You had to know what you wanted because no one was allowed inside. Long lines in the parking lot.s.

But the closest one to us down the street closed up. Probably had no employees.

The way they did it here was to limit the number of people allowed inside at any one time, based on the square footage of the stores and placing markers every 2 meters with direction arrows in the aisles. Worked pretty well.

Oh, yeah, a plane. Here's my favourite:

assorted 016.JPG

5 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I suppose if putting a mentos in a bottle of Coke is close to a Saturn 5 in basic design.:P

As long as you point the business end at the ground rather than up in the air, I agree.

Here's some shots of a Canadaair CL-84 Dynavert tilt rotor landing on a United States Aircraft Carrier in 1973 

Canadair_CL-84_Dynavert_landing_on_USS_Guam_(LPH-9)_in_1973.jpg

568c0755968e65e8aee14ea4a9ce0a27.jpg

CL-84-1 Mfgrd 1969   30f8865.jpg

6 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

The way they did it here was to limit the number of people allowed inside at any one time, based on the square footage of the stores and placing markers every 2 meters with direction arrows in the aisles. Worked pretty well.

Oh, yeah, a plane. Here's my favourite:

assorted 016.JPG

Sweet ride, CLK!  Is it yours?  Does it have rudder pedals?  :)  

Back about 1974 a buddy asked me if I'd like to go in halves with 'im on an Ercoupe ~ as I recall, it was something like $3500.

I declined, and bought a Fiat instead.  Doh...!   :wacko:

I spent lots and lots of hours in C-130s as Aircrew.  Love'd it.  My favorite ride however, is/was a '29 Ford Tai-Motor.  What a Hoot.  I live just off the end of the local Airport and have different airplanes overhead every day.  Bestest is when we have the annual Air Show and the bring in all the WW II fighters and Bombers.  B-17s and B-24s and B-25s overhead is a treat.

13 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I spent lots and lots of hours in C-130s as Aircrew.  Love'd it.  My favorite ride however, is/was a '29 Ford Tai-Motor.  What a Hoot.  I live just off the end of the local Airport and have different airplanes overhead every day.  Bestest is when we have the annual Air Show and the bring in all the WW II fighters and Bombers.  B-17s and B-24s and B-25s overhead is a treat.

I know what you mean; here's my neighbor:

https://www.collingsfoundation.org/

LL

Speaking of "Loud..."

Anyone ever seen - actually, heard! - an F-117 when they were flying?

Those things may have been stealthy, but DAMN they were noisy.   Supposedly, the engines were placed on top of the plane so that their noise was blocked from reaching the ground by the body of the aircraft itself.  Didn't work so well.  :rolleyes:

53 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Anyone ever seen - actually, heard! - an F-117 when they were flying?

Yep, pretty sure I did.  2 AM one November, 1983, if I remember right, clear skies, in mountains of western NM elk hunting.  One roared right up the canyon in which I was camped.  Noisy enough to give a half-minute's notice before it passed.  Was able to jump out the tent door and couldn't see it.  No lights on.  Stars disappeared for a split second when it was overhead.   A spooky gremlin for sure.

good luck, GJ

On 5/20/2021 at 4:49 PM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

It looks like AirVenture is on for this year, July 26 through August 1. If you really want to give your Flightradar24 a workout, try checking out the arrivals, or just track the aircraft traveling to the event. That was why I got it in the first place a few years back.

4 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Sweet ride, CLK!  Is it yours?  Does it have rudder pedals?  :)  

Back about 1974 a buddy asked me if I'd like to go in halves with 'im on an Ercoupe ~ as I recall, it was something like $3500.

I declined, and bought a Fiat instead.  Doh...!   :wacko:

No, it didn't.

Right now, it's likely a beer can somewhere after the new owner landed short and hit the perimeter fence. 

In Wichita, Ks there is a huge symbolic Indian statue on the two rivers convergence called "keeper of the Plains"  When we had a new international airport 
 built I suggested to the city counsel it be moved to the airport to represent the air capital city as "the keeper of the planes!" LOL

Sadly it was not received as popular.  Although from what I've observed here maybe Alpo might approve! :rolleyes:

50419.jpg

Archived