SASS Wire Forum

She likes my poncho liner

Trigger Mike

My 9 year old daughter is spending her first day out of school sick.  Her mom had to take the others to their last day of school events so I stayed with her.  She said she had a sore throat and I noticed she had a small fever.  I gave her a cup of orange juice with crushed ice.

Sadly it didn't stay down.  I didn't know her stomach was part of the problem.   She didn't make it put of her bed in time so I needed to change her bedding. 

I put a pillow on the floor and spread my poncho liner out and told her to lay there until her bed was ready.  She cacooned it around her and slept.  She said it was comfy.  

I have two Poncho liners from Vietnam that are now 50 years old. One is the Old style Rip-stop nylon (1970) and one is the newer (1971)smooth version. Both have been used at the beach because sand just falls off unlike a towel. I used them when squirrel hunting. I hide and make noises like a nut and they come running. Now many years later, I keep one in each car and truck for Emergency blankets. Miss those Squirrel hunting days.  just sayin'. Good story Trigger Mike

Big Jake #1001

I recently passed on 69 dated liner to a young friend.

The poncho liner was a great innovation and I’m glad to see they are still issuing them.

I ended up needing to get both my daughters and my wife their own woobie. I've even heard of a poncho liner being a point of disagreement in one divorce. Wonderful things.

“Woobies” Dang whippersnappers!

19 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

My 9 year old daughter is spending her first day out of school sick.  Her mom had to take the others to their last day of school events so I stayed with her.  She said she had a sore throat and I noticed she had a small fever.  I gave her a cup of orange juice with crushed ice.

Sadly it didn't stay down.  I didn't know her stomach was part of the problem.   She didn't make it put of her bed in time so I needed to change her bedding. 

I put a pillow on the floor and spread my poncho liner out and told her to lay there until her bed was ready.  She cacooned it around her and slept.  She said it was comfy.  

I use my liner (ca 1968) all the time and my dog likes it, too.  Just smooth, warm without weight, and comfortable.  Your daughter has good taste.

Aha!  Something almost as good as a Sailor's Pea Coat!  

The thought of a little one not feeling good, rolling up in her Daddy's warm hug that only incidentally looks like a Woobie, and drawing comfort from it, warms my grandfatherly old heart!

11 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

“Woobies” Dang whippersnappers!

In this particular instance, I’ll own that!

43 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The poncho liner has been a staple of deployed life since it was first introduced in Vietnam, but the origin of the "Woobie" is shrouded in mystery.

Why the Woobie is the Greatest Military Invention Ever Fielded

I tend to lean toward the Mr. Mom explanation.

Howdy,

Sure hope that little one is all better....

Is the sportsmans guide version like the military one?

I have a real one from the depths of a duffel bag and have use for one more.

Not sure if sis has one either....

Suppose the ones on ebay are ok????

Best

CR

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Aha!  Something almost as good as a Sailor's Pea Coat!  

Better. They can provide shade or be used as a hammock.

3 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

What IS the weight limit on that there hammmmock????

Inquiring minds gotta know.

Best

CR

Skinny grunt.....and you have to know how to do it.

Archived