SASS Wire Forum

Question re the new schofields

I know they were originally lower power rounds ie the 45 schofield, 44 russian, etc.

The newer guns by Uberti,  can be had in 45Colt (notice I didn't say Long Colt, don't want this going off topic!)

To those who have them in 45 Colt how well do they hold up with lower power loads.

I know a ways back they dropped them for a while as they wouldn't stay timed.

Thanks for any input.

I know some folks who have been shooting their 45 Colt Schofields for 20 years, so I think they are fine.  There was a single guy at Uberti who made the Schofields for a long time.  When he retired half a dozen years ago (?) the trainee started making them and it took some time for him to get up to speed.  But the design of the gun can handle the 45.

I've got two of them in 45 Colt and shoot regular power loads in them, but so far have not broken over 1.000 rounds through either. Both are still tight as can be and run for a full match without fouling with smokeless powder. One is 5" and the other 7".

Running 8.0 grains Unique under a 250 grain RNFP

Mine were good for about 15,000 ends of 250 gen bullets at about 750 fps. Eventually had problems with both of them where the hand would not reliably rotate the cylinder. So I would say pretty durable.

Silver Rings

When Uberti started chambering the Russian models in .45 Colt, they had to stretch the frame and cylinder slightly to accommodate it - that's directly from Giacomo Merlino. I don't know if something similar had to be done with the Schofields or not...? The more I think about it, probably not, as I think they were chambered in .44-40 right from the get go, which is slightly longer yet.

21 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

When Uberti started chambering the Russian models in .45 Colt, they had to stretch the frame and cylinder slightly to accommodate it - that's directly from Giacomo Merlino. I don't know if something similar had to be done with the Schofields or not...? The more I think about it, probably not, as I think they were chambered in .44-40 right from the get go, which is slightly longer yet.

Schofields only ever originally in .45 S&W.  They had to be enlarged for .45 Colt.  Only the New Model 3 was in .44-40.   I have one.  Sweet shooter

1 minute ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Schofields only ever originally in .45 S&W.  They had to be enlarged for .45 Colt.  Only the New Model 3 was in .44-40.   I have one.  Sweet shooter

Referring to the Uberti repros.

Irish Ike nobody was talking unsafe. Asked how they held up re timing and such.

think some guns just aren't problematic from the get go. Colt D frames were notorious for going out of time!

They were only rated for std 38 ammo and any 38's on the hotter side they went out of time quickly.

Thanks for the responses much appreciated.

Archived