SASS Wire Forum

911??

Alpo

That thread titled PANHANDLERS made me think of this

Begging is illegal. So someone comes up to me with this sob story about needing gas, or needing food for his starving children. I want to help him. I want to give him a place to sleep for a few days and meals. I want to have his ass locked up.

Now I have the number to my Police department in my phone. But the last time somebody put the bite on me I was in a different town. I don't know the phone number to the police department in Eufala Alabama. Would dialing 911 have worked to get the panhandler arrested, or would it have gotten me arrested for misuse of 911?

I am pretty sure that if a panhandler was physically abusive a 911 call would be totally appropriate, but verbally abusive? Probably not. 

I didn't say anything about them being abusive - either physically or verbally. But they are breaking the law. As a good citizen, I wish to have these lawbreakers arrested.

When they first started 911 in my county, back sometime in the late 80s, for the first two years after it started, the only listings in the telephone book for the police department or the fire department or the sheriff's department or the hospitals were 911.

911 is an EMERGENCY number.
Use for reporting non-emergencies is generally considered a more serious violation of the law than panhandling, jaywalking, spitting on the sidewalk, etc.

Dialing 411 should provide access to local non-emergency numbers to contact law enforcement.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Begging is illegal. So someone comes up to me with this sob story about needing gas, or needing food for his starving children. I want to help him. I want to give him a place to sleep for a few days and meals. I want to have his ass locked up.

Now I have the number to my Police department in my phone. But the last time somebody put the bite on me I was in a different town. I don't know the phone number to the police department in Eufala Alabama. Would dialing 911 have worked to get the panhandler arrested, or would it have gotten me arrested for misuse of 911?

Google Eufala Alabama police or call 411 as PWB said. 

I just tested 411 on my cell phone.
Call connected directly to my land line and a text message was sent with name, address, and listed phone number.

1 minute ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

I just tested 411 on my cell phone.
Call connected directly to my land line and a text message was sent with name, address, and listed phone number.

Maybe I am misunderstanding.  What good does calling your own landline do in an emergency?  I don't even have a landline anymore.  The Alexa thing my daughter gave me is also supposed to be able to make emergency calls.  Don't know as I have never tried it.  In fact I have it plugged in but have never used it.  The only thing it does is beep when I get an Amazon delivery.

I'm assuming he called 411 (what used to be known as directory assistance) and ask for the phone number of his landline. And it worked. Since that worked it stands to reason that asking for the police department number would also work.

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding.  What good does calling your own landline do in an emergency?  I don't even have a landline anymore.  The Alexa thing my daughter gave me is also supposed to be able to make emergency calls.  Don't know as I have never tried it.  In fact I have it plugged in but have never used it.  The only thing it does is beep when I get an Amazon delivery.

I dialed 411 from my cell phone and requested the number for my name in my home town (as listed in the local white pages).
I was connected to the number and a txt msg was also sent to my cell.

I tested it for that listing instead of requesting the non-emergency number for the Sheriff's office just to see how it works.

But this is a little bit confusing. When you called 411 and asked for the number of Palewolf, along with sending you a text with your name, your address, and your landline phone number, 411 also called your landline phone number?

Just now, Alpo said:

But this is a little bit confusing. When you called 411 and asked for the number of PaleWolf, along with sending you a text with your name, your address, and your landline phone number, 411 also called your landline phone number?

Yes (but I requested listing under "Brunelle").
Also tested under other relatives' last name.
Response was a numbered list of full names with direction to state the number (1, 2, 3, etc.) of which one I was looking for.

OHHH.  The last person I would call if I was on the floor dying is myself.  But I get it now although I think very few people in this day and age have even heard of directory assistance.

49 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Why would you call the cops on an ordinary (non-abusive etc) beggar?

"I want to give him a place to sleep for a few days and meals."
- OP

As a former LEO I'd say go ahead and call 911.  As long as you are reporting a crime or suspicious person (panhandler) and not complaining that your McDonalds hamburger was cold I don't think they'll care.  I've called 911 several times when I did not know the jurisdiction I was in.  If you pass by an accident, or a wooden pallet in the middle of a highway you may very well have no idea what city/village/county you need to contact.  911 should get you to the correct department.

In St. Louis County there are 90 different cities/villages/townships many of which have their own Police Departments.  Plus, there are pockets of unincorporated county in the middle of some of those cities that are patrolled by St. Louis County Police.  Also some of those villages contract with some other department for police services.  You could waste a lot of time trying to figure out which PD you need to call.  If you are driving a car at the time it is impractical if not downright dangerous to search for phone numbers.

Call 911 and explain you do not know which department to call or the correct phone number.

That's my .02 anyway.

Angus

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

It can get them (he,she, etc....) an opportunity for 'community' assistance and help, such

as a place to stay and some food to eat.

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

When was living in CA I knew a guy that more than once would shop lift in Safeway so he would get arrested. He said he would just eat as much as he could until the police took him away. It’s a sad situation when jail is a good alternative 

Don’t assume that begging is illegal. Vagrancy used to be illegal. You could be busted for “no visible means of support. Cussing out a cop used to be illegal too.

In many jurisdictions merely asking for money without any real or implied threat to coercion is, in fact, considered free speech.

Times change.

I have never called anybody on a panhandler. I usually say “Sorry, I can’t help you brother” 
They usually respond with God Bless you anyway.

If there are 4 cars at the station gassing up and I’m the ony one with a cowboy hat guess who the homeless guy will approach? ;)

Non emergency only. Now once connected they will advise you if panhandling is illegal or not at that location. Many locations panhandling has been challenged in court and the panhandlers won. If it is then the only option on a panhandler is if they are impeding traffic. That is against the law. 

I cannot say for certain, but as I recall a disabled veteran may panhandle anywhere as long as not interfering with others.

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

Please pray that you are never in the situation where you need help. It could happen to you in a second 

6 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

In Eufala, Alabama..... dial BR549.

..........Widder

You only say that because you've been to Eufaula.;)

(Eufaula High  was my high school's main rival back in the day, so you can't come up with something that we haven't already said about them.)

On the other hand, don't ya'll just dial '3' in your neck of the woods?:P

Archived