SASS Wire Forum

C notes

Chili Ron

Howdy,

I saw a batch of fake 100 bills on tv.

They looked mighty good.

If you handle these I recommend you check out the list of

check points on the web.

I have noticed several stores post that they will not take 100s.

Seems better to me to know whats what.

ymmv.

Best

CR

I watched a show that talked about fake $100 bills.   Ongoing investigation  Started with fake Marlboro"s , drugs, illegal weapons and then to funny money  Very interesting.  They managed to get a few bills to inspect.   FBI could not tell the fake bills from reals.   Finally figured out fakes were higher quality than real , TOO good.    The kicker is at the end of the program they revealed this had 15 years ago.        Got no fact checker, but  interesting          GW

They are very likely from Iran.

C B

41 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

They are very likely from Iran.

C B

Or North Korea.  They have been the best counterfeiters in the world for decades.  Even the Treasury Dept has a problem telling their fake 100's from the real ones.

I guess the Kims figure that if you can't get foreign currency by trade, you just make it yourself.

2 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

I saw a batch of fake 100 bills on tv.

They looked mighty good.

If you handle these I recommend you check out the list of

check points on the web.

I have noticed several stores post that they will not take 100s.

Seems better to me to know whats what.

ymmv.

Best

CR

Did not think stores could refuse US currency???

You can buy what looks like real U.S. and Cdn bills that at a glance look like the real thing.  I bought some U.S. ones before I knew that there was a Canadian issue for the grand kids.  Up close there are several red flags that only a drunk or a dumb azz would not see that they were phony.  Various letters in the serial numbers, wrong presidents names, In God We Thrust, serial numbers in the wrong location, printed on plain paper, on the right hand side of the $100. bill, in the yellow area, it says It's not money it's a joke. etc.

They were advertised for theatrical purposes, teaching children about money, games etc.

I got some C# notes, The darn bank wouldn't take 'em, can you believe that??

If you go on Amazon you can see the bills and they really look real from a distance.  That's where I got them.

For those who don't know, our Canadian bills are now a type of vinyl plastic with holograms repeating the denomination.

Pennies are no more and we now use one and two dollar coins.

I swear to God.  I went to the Post Office yesterday and handed them 3 five dollar bills.  The lady spend five minutes inspecting them and marking them with one of those forgery pens before she would give me my stamps.

6 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

My banks ATM drops $50.00 bills to the nearest $50.00 all the time.  Got some cash, took it to USPS (Yeah THE USPS) just after opening time and they couldn't break a fifty.  There was a lady in the line who gave me a twenty, two tens, a five and a handful of metal.

I offered to buy her breakfast, but she declined.

7 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

They can if they let you know ahead of time and the time is near when many won't accept cash.

Currency is legal tender for all debts, but they don't have to let you get into debt to them.

I went to UPS in the last few months to ship ammo to various places. UPS was not accepting cash as payment. CC, Debit or check only due to Covid. CC and Debit I could sort of understand, the check...not so much.

Spectrum cable office here has a machine for cash payments, it will NOT give you change if you have more than the correct amount. I put in $50's, it took them, no problem. Don't know if it has a checker in it or not. I have had cashiers do the pen thing on bills I've given them before.:blush::blush:

8 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

One of several reasons is people will buy a $5 item and want change. A couple of transactions like that cleans out a cash drawer quickly. The policy reduces the amount of cash that a store has to have on hand. 

Off the Federal Reserve website:

Is it legal for a business in the United States to refuse cash as a form of payment?

There is no federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law that says otherwise.

Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," states: "United States coins and currency [including Federal Reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal Reserve Banks and national banks] are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues." This statute means that all U.S. money as identified above is a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor.

4 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

That would be a 'major' crime!

Yea but just a minor jail sentence! 

4 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I swear to God.  I went to the Post Office yesterday and handed them 3 five dollar bills.  The lady spend five minutes inspecting them and marking them with one of those forgery pens before she would give me my stamps.

She knew your Cowboy name and was being careful???

7 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Will those new improved counterfeit notes pass the marker test?

Markers only test the paper.  The super notes coming from overseas are printed on good paper.

Since they changed the ink and took whatever was keeping if from fading out of it, the ink will fade and can even be washed away.  Low level crooks will wash a low denomination bill until it's blank and then print a fake higher denomination on it. 

The thing is, you can't wash out the watermark.

The first counterfeit bill I ever ran into was a $50 printed over a $5.  When I checked the watermark, I was looking at Lincoln AND Grant. 

Needless to say, I didn't take it.

Archived