SASS Wire Forum

Midway and M1 carbine

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Classic is also selling a bunch of restored ones right now . I would really like one but for the $$ there’s allot of other guns that are calling me 

I picked one up while back at LGS but no ammo yet. If prices are good I might but not going hold my breath.

28 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Here’s a link:

https://www.midwayusa.com/us-military-surplus-m1-carbines

I will probably pass on these as I have other things that I want more. I have owned 2 M1 Carbines and they are cool little long guns for sure. 

Yup about time you move up and get a real bike. :P Unless price is really good I will probably pass too.

3 minutes ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Yup about time you move up and get a real bike. :P Unless price is really good I will probably pass too.

Yeah, I have really been wanting a Honda Goldwing. :P

Not really…

Howdy,

Years back a good friend and gun dealer bought a number of carbines.

He took them apart and swapped parts to build several really nice carbines.

I asked him if he would build me one that was all Winchester.

He did and he further explained how some parts were not Winchester due

to the way things were marked etc.

I decided to sell it to build a varmint rifle.

It was sold in about three days.

I know.....how dumb.  But ya cant afford everything.

The M1 carbine is just a great fun gun. 

Everyone should have one.  

If you cant have one, get a 10/22 and option it to resemble the carbine.

M1 carbine goes real well next to your Marlin lever action.

Best

CR

I did get another finally....after too long.

Not winchester but thats ok

Tried to drill the peep on a fellow shooter's M1 Karbin to open its aperture (old eyes, y'understand) but the metal was either of really good stuff or had been most wonderfully tempered.
Could make NO progress with it, and my Google-fu failed entirely on finding a replacement aperture with a bigger hole!

Had a pair of those for awhile when California was having a lot of strife (We moved into a fairly nice rental about five blocks and twenty days after the SLA shoot out.) but you could still get something like that.  Picked up a bunch of 20 and 30 round magazines and put half and one gun in my wife's car and the rest in mine.

I had an M-1 and an M-2 carbine in 'Nam for awhile and really liked the little buggers.  M-2 goes through a lot of ammo really fast.

I regret selling those guns.

I notice no one is posting prices.

1 hour ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Tried to drill the peep on a fellow shooter's M1 Karbin to open its aperture (old eyes, y'understand) but the metal was either of really good stuff or had been most wonderfully tempered.
Could make NO progress with it, and my Google-fu failed entirely on finding a replacement aperture with a bigger hole!

Mine has a flip sight with two size holes. I use the big one.

Went into the Air Force in 65...One day training for a 4 weeks basic, M1 carbine was what we used...Year later M-2 carbine, half day training....Sometime later, like 4 years had our half day training with M-16...I think the Air Force was a little behind in this area....Would hope by now they have got it together....At least not to get all the hand me downs....

Texas Lizard

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

Mine has a flip sight with two size holes. I use the big one.

The original L-flip rear sight was ideal for the M1 Carbine. The fancy adjustable unit that replaced it after WW2 was a complete waste of time on a rifle not meant for targets beyond 200 yards. For some reason the higher-ups could never be convinced that the average solder cannot be expected to shoot a flea off a Hun's scalp at 800 yards under combat conditions.

My M1 Carbine was appropriated through the N.R.A., back in the '60's. They sold them for $65.00 each.  

I have read, and heard, a lot of complaints about this, or that, concerning the M1 Carbine. 

I love mine. So much fun to shoot. Recoil is negligible, and it does what it is supposed to do. 

(Kahr firearms group, to name one, makes a replica, and also a replica of the one the airborne used, with the collapsible stock. So if you can't find an original, that is in good enough shape, or is too high priced...you may check out some replicas being made.)  

No, I am not going Cape Buffalo hunting with it....but never-the-less, they are fun to have, and to shoot, and I recommend them.

One thing in my favor...it was Audie Murphey's weapon of choice, and he used several different varieties of weapons, while in the Army... and...after the war, he would give out M1 Carbines as gifts. I have to presume he was too ignorant, at the time of his military service, to know how "ineffective" it was. After the war, his M1 Carbine, that he used, and that was damaged in combat, was later found by the Army, and restored, and now rests in a museum.

W.K. 

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Had a pair of those for awhile when California was having a lot of strife (We moved into a fairly nice rental about five blocks and twenty days after the SLA shoot out.) but you could still get something like that.  Picked up a bunch of 20 and 30 round magazines and put half and one gun in my wife's car and the rest in mine.

I had an M-1 and an M-2 carbine in 'Nam for awhile and really liked the little buggers.  M-2 goes through a lot of ammo really fast.

prices not been listed yet only they are coming in

Well... I put my name on the list a week and a half ago.  :rolleyes:

I would love to have a companion for an imaginary, virtual Saginaw that a fella who had no use for it might've sold to me for $40 thirty-five or so years ago...  B)

Anyone want to take a stab at what the price might be?  :)

$1500 is my guess!   :ph34r:

On 5/20/2021 at 10:50 PM, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

One thing in my favor...it was Audie Murphey's weapon of choice

My grandpa too!  He told me he ditched the rifle they issued him as soon as he could and picked up an M1 Carbine.  Can't remember what the issued rifle was.  It coulda been a 1903 but it was probably a Garand.  He started his tour of the world in North Africa, then went to the Middle East, then finally got to see France from behind a tank. 

Thanks for the info , got a good buddy searching for one. I’ll pass it on.....;)

On 5/20/2021 at 9:50 PM, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

My M1 Carbine was appropriated through the N.R.A., back in the '60's. They sold them for $65.00 each.  

I have read, and heard, a lot of complaints about this, or that, concerning the M1 Carbine. 

I love mine. So much fun to shoot. Recoil is negligible, and it does what it is supposed to do. 

(Kahr firearms group, to name one, makes a replica, and also a replica of the one the airborne used, with the collapsible stock. So if you can't find an original, that is in good enough shape, or is too high priced...you may check out some replicas being made.)  

No, I am not going Cape Buffalo hunting with it....but never-the-less, they are fun to have, and to shoot, and I recommend them.

One thing in my favor...it was Audie Murphey's weapon of choice, and he used several different varieties of weapons, while in the Army... and...after the war, he would give out M1 Carbines as gifts. I have to presume he was too ignorant, at the time of his military service, to know how "ineffective" it was. After the war, his M1 Carbine, that he used, and that was damaged in combat, was later found by the Army, and restored, and now rests in a museum.

W.K. 

He was a tiny guy. Even shorter than me. Not surprised he liked the carbine. I liked the M16 over the M14. :D

On 5/20/2021 at 3:40 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

The cheap ones were going for about $1500 at classic arms . When I first looked at them a hand select Saginaw was going to cost me $1600 “ couple weeks ago” . But they are all sold out now. Makes me think if you want one from Midway you had better jump on it 

Archived