SASS Wire Forum

Major Disaster Adverted

Sedalia Dave

9 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Any Idea where that bridge is? I want to be sure and avoid it.

It's a photo off of the internet, so, no, not sure where it is, but I seriously doubt that it is in the US.

20 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Any Idea where that bridge is? I want to be sure and avoid it.

Brazil:

https://www.montrealracing.com/wp/wp/2015/07/pic-showing-crack-in-champlain-bridge-is-a-hoax/

Looks like they already got her fixed!
Didn’t you notice that thick steel strip stretched across the crack where separated?

Quick work!
No problemo no mo!

Cat Brules

From the pictures y'all are talking about two entirely different bridges.

The original post has a steel framework and one of the pieces of square tubing in the framework is broken.

Inspector-Bridge-AP-1.jpg.c6b144ade9bb3e636e76a702909f6364.jpg

The other bridge appears to be made of concrete, and the entire bridge is bbroken

0715-champlain-bridge-crack.jpg.1456625a1a67f190b761a1e692535531.jpg

Some 20 years ago I worked with an engineer who was also an officer in the Missouri National Guard.   One of the projects he worked on was disaster recovery plans if and when there was another major earthquake in the New Madrid Fault.  Said bridges in a 200 mill radius would be destroyed,  damaged or need to be inspected.  That takes in an area from New Orleans to Minnesota north to south.  Up the Missouri River past Kansas City and tributaries. The Arkansas. Up the Illinois,  Ohio,  Tennessee,  etc, to the Appalachian mountains.   Add to that innumerable overpasses, railroads,  pipe lines - water, gas, oil, natural gas. Dams and reservoirs.  Major flooding.  On and on.  

The last major earthquake was in early 1800 when the area was sparsely populated.  After the first major earthquake,  there was minor and major earthquake to follow for years. 

Archived