SASS Wire Forum

Is that what they think about us?

Last Call Saul

This was posted on AR15.com FB page :(  

I am new to CAS, but not new to tactical firearm, black scary rifles and 3-gun and IDPA... I never thought about CAS like that and I did take offence and posted about it...

Is it completely made up stereotype or does it have any truth to it?  I haven't met anyone like that on any of the matches or meets I've been to, but again, I am new to CAS

187535875_3858433307586296_8208174962720183420_n.png

That poster is a dork.

Also your normal CAS shooter has got four guns. Two Single Action Armys.

When you gonna insult somebody, you really need to make sure of your facts.

Reads like one of the black-gun gang is salty that:

The amount of smoke he generates makes him look like Prius next to a F-4 Phantom II.

His tacticool-15 has no CCH options

All his toys go "piff" compared to CAS toys using the Holy Black.

Caliber envy.....

Probably drinks a six-pack while shooting at the range and at home shoots neighbors’ little kitties and raccoons with .22 shorts from a silenced rifle.  

I know the type from when I lived in Bkfd.  First, a few of the neighbors beat him up, then the Police and Fish and Game finally charged him and took care of him.  Sick $@&.  

Cat Brules

I think most of the "Know your Fudd" memes are just jokes. Some people think they're a real representation of what ever the target is (in this case CAS), but most know they're just poking fun. I know that I have shot various tactical shooting sports and I am a firm advocate of the 2nd Amendment, as are most folks here. And yet I've been referred to as a Fudd by some of my friends due to some of the firearms I own. And then I inform them that their inability to handle a steel and smoke "real" gun doesn't make me think any less of their manhood LOL. It's all in jest.

But honestly, who are you more likely to take advice from? The old-timer with a dozen guns of different varieties at the range calmly destroying targets, or some young kid with an AR variant and a Glock? Until proven otherwise, I go with experience. 

Your results may vary. 

This is what I thought a “Fudd” was…

58349BD9-74C5-47F8-A3A7-3B138C681B06.thumb.png.ab908c2458a961e503457d0ce6fb6ce7.png

Then I see on another forum it’s someone who likes traditional guns with wood and metal. 

Personally, I think guys, and it is always some guy, who looks down on other people’s gun choices is usually just an ignorant slob or an obnoxious snob. Either way, they can be summed up by the use of one word that rhymes with “Blasthole”.

10 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Lots of keyboard commandos on the internet, ar15.com is no exception.

FIFY:   Lots  of keyboard commandos at AR15.com

There are a lot of mostly younger shooters who think the latest and "greatest" gun to come along will some how turn them into to some sort of "Super Shooter".

I joined AR15.com a few years ago. I made a comment about liking my Glocks. Not a comment that was degrading to any other brand or person who liked some other brand. Just a comment stating that I liked my Glocks. 
All of a sudden I was in an Internet dogpile and I was on the bottom while pro and anti Glock forces vied for domination of the dogpile via words and insults. 

I contacted the Admin at that site and asked that my information be deleted and I moved on. That isn’t the only site full of trolls, snobs and “blastholes” either. I could name others. 

No matter what discipline you enjoy, there is always a fanboy somewhere who is willing to troll you for it.
Cameras, motorcycles, guns, musical instruments, electronics, TVs... every category has their fanboys.

Personally I see the term “fanboy” as an insult. My SIL tells me it’s not, but I get pretty riled up if someone calls me one. 
A guy at the range one day asked me if I was a “Glock Fanboy”. He asked a question so it wasn’t a direct insult. 
I said “No, I may be a fan of Glocks but I am no boy. I don’t think Glocks are the best. There is no best, but I do like them over all the other semiautos that I have tried.” (Emphasis mine)

Then I told him if I were a “fan” of anything it would be revolvers in general. 

It goes along with many things...even in our 'own' sport we have the different opinions of what our sport is.

The one time I had a convo with an IPSIC (?) guy, I asked if he wanted info on SASS.

He said "No thanks, I would feel foolish dressing like that"

(From a man dressed from head to toe in tan kahki...safari hat, hiking boots, and shorts!!!!

A vest that looked more like a fishing vest than a shooting vest.)

I called the kettle black. "You mean sillier than that!" As I fanned my hand up and down at him, and walked away laughing.

Probably not the best way to handle it...but it did quiet him.

To the OP:

Who cares? Play cowboy and enjoy the hell out of it. :D

Lot of name calling and stupidity on the web. I just got called a Karen on Facebook. Me. A Karen. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Lot of name calling and stupidity on the web. I just got called a Karen on Facebook. Me. A Karen. :lol:

More like a  Tiffany- always bright, bubbly, and cheerful!  :D

Mostly it was probably made in jest. But if you go to a larger gun forum like AR15.com you will find more people and thus more trolls, more people trying to get attention not always in a positive way, and sadly they often feed into divisiveness intentionally or not doing the work of gun control advocates for them by turning off new shooters and promoting division amongst shooters.

AR15.com has many good people, but there is a culture there that is often not friendly to shooters, especially new shooters. People mocking some gun owners as "poors" because they don't own high dollar firearms or don't have 10,000 dollar night vision set ups. People ridiculing others for not having the latest most expensive red dot on their carry gun with the right model weapons light carried in the right model of appendix carry holster. It can be tiresome. It happens from some poking fun, some feeling that they need to "prove" that what they like is the best ever and everything else is crap, and some trying to fluff their egos by putting others down. 

While I like nice stuff as much as the next guy, the old saw that it's the indian and not the arrow that is most important is still true. Ed McGivern set records that still stand almost 100 years later, using a revolver and iron sights. And while I may be justly appreciative of the firearms I have aquired over the years and like to share them and the reasons why they are "good" guns; I should still be cognitive of the fact that a new shooter or shooters of more limited means, or just shooters with different priorities may have different firearm choices than I do. 

Sometimes it may be easier to be a jackwagon, but it's always better to be a patient and humble (willing to learn, teach, and listen) than to pontificate and belittle. I always appreciate when those with more knowlege and experience are willing to share and teach. I think of hard working men and women who have aquired shooting skills and high quality firearms who don't flaunt them for the purpose of slapping down others and taking enjoyment in doing so, but who share their knowlege, skill, and firearms with positivity and joy. I know such people, you would never feel put down by them for owning a Hi-point or a Kel Tek. You wouldn't feel belittled for your lack of shooting skills or your lack of knowlege about firearms or shooting. 

Occassionally you will run into the odd snobbery of someone who brags about their inexpensive firearms and lack of training. But it all comes from the same place as the one who brags on their super duper firearms and universe of firearms training. You will know them by their fruits. You will feel better for being around the good ones and sour for being around the bad ones. 

Hmmm..."Joeronimo Fudd" does have a certain cache' to it I think.

Guys, I am as thick-skinned as most of us and would not get offended by jesting or name calling...  but

1. it was not posted by a user, it was posted by AR15.COM on their FB - ei by the actual website administration

2. there are series of "Know your FUDD" memes that they ran with - depicting us and others not as people with odd firearms preferences but as anti-gunners

that's what rattled me a bit

it does look like the meme makers target literally every kind except a "tacticool dude", so we are not alone :)

https://tinyurl.com/2c4awctn

And this is how the gun community divides itself and we don't need that one bit.

Well it is sad if the admins don't know that SASS shooters use 4 guns. And the meme does promote a false overall characterization of Cowboy Action Shooters. There are so called Fudds in virtually any firearm sport though the majority in any of those sports are not Fudds. Been on hunting forums where a minority decry those hi-capacity pistols or those only the military should own black rifles. There are a few such on here too. Even seen some on the AR15 website. But the vast majority of shooters of all disciplines support the right to keep and bear arms and the 2nd Amendment. 

Edit to add, as Dantankerous said the gun community is too often guilty of creating division amongst its members when it doesn't need to do so.

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I prefer Lucille.
Could be a comic actress.

Could be a barbwire wrapped Louisville Slugger. 

5 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Agreed.

Not perky enough to be a Staci or Traci and definitely not sarcastic enough to be a Kim.:D

Although, he is dangerous enough to be a Stephanie.:D

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I prefer Lucille.
Could be a comic actress.

Could be a barbwire wrapped Louisville Slugger. 

I thought Lucille was a big boobbed blonde washing a car.

cool-hand-luke-1967-car-wash-sce.jpg

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I thought Lucille was a big boobbed blonde washing a car.

cool-hand-luke-1967-car-wash-sce.jpg

No that wasn’t Lucille. She was only Lucille to Dragline. No telling what her name really was. Dragline didn’t care.

Did this confuse anyone else?

Bob says he is Lucille. I post a picture of Lucille washing a car. Bob says that is not a picture of Lucille.

Dutch says the picture is actually a picture of Biloxi Bob.

?????????:blink:

That was last night. This morning I decide that the picture Dutch was talking about was the picture in the first post. That he was not joining in the conversation between me and Bob.

That makes more sense. But last night I thought that Dutch had been drinking his bath water again

17 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

And this is how the gun community divides itself and we don't need that one bit.

17 hours ago, Raylan said:

Edit to add, as Dantankerous said the gun community is too often guilty of creating division amongst its members when it doesn't need to do so.

Agreed! Sometimes we are our own worst enemies. 
I have always felt that most gun “enthusiasts” get caught up in their own niche. Gun “owners” can be anyone that owns a gun for self protection or hunting or just because they want one “just in case”.

The “enthusiasts” tend to look down on others for whatever reason and when in a group, be it at a club, a gun store or online, they tend to feed off each other’s bias and act superior. 

Then you have the gun “owners” and “enthusiasts” that are political. Since you have the “niche’s” involved between the “enthusiasts” and the gun “owners” the biases that they all have combined with their desire to politically protect what they like about their particular area of interest also causes division. 

It’s almost a perfect storm and this bias, division, ego, or whatever term you want to use will be our undoing politically. 

On 5/18/2021 at 8:50 PM, Last Call Saul said:

This was posted on AR15.com FB page :(  

I am new to CAS, but not new to tactical firearm, black scary rifles and 3-gun and IDPA... I never thought about CAS like that and I did take offence and posted about it...

Is it completely made up stereotype or does it have any truth to it?  I haven't met anyone like that on any of the matches or meets I've been to, but again, I am new to CAS

187535875_3858433307586296_8208174962720183420_n.png

For those who don’t know the man in the picture is Rick Fox Aka Biloxi Bob. A championship SASS shooter. He is also a top level 3 Gun competitor. I doubt there is more than 20 shooters in the US that can beat him. 

7D5EC5F7-DA44-44F2-9AD0-CB429C41AA80.jpeg

35 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

For those who don’t know the man in the picture is Rick Fox Aka Biloxi Bob. A championship SASS shooter. He is also a top level 3 Gun competitor. I doubt there is more than 20 shooters in the US that can beat him. 

7D5EC5F7-DA44-44F2-9AD0-CB429C41AA80.jpeg

oh... this is awesome!  can I post this pic on that thread on FB? :)

On 5/18/2021 at 8:18 PM, Alpo said:

That poster is a dork.

Also your normal CAS shooter has got four guns. Two Single Action Armys.

When you gonna insult somebody, you really need to make sure of your facts.

since when did facts mean anything to those that wish to disparage ? i suspect another one of those preaching tolerance for every one but only offers it to those that agree with them 

Archived