SASS Wire Forum

Measuring rim thickness on 22 LR

G W Wade

I buy a lot of economy 22's   Bought WW Expert on sale a while ago.    Pistols hated it!!!  Tried it in my Rem bolt gun, and learned why.  Some ran though the gun normally but others could bearly close the bolt.  Then the trouble started   I started reading.    Not wanting to get too far into this.  Guages seem spendy,   but 1 place talked about using a 223 case and a caliper to measure.   60 to 70 % measure what I call standard   Most of the rest are 3 to 5 thousands under and bunch run that much over.  Sorted a bulk pack (500) today and hoping for a calm day to test.   Articles I have read claim amazing group improvements.  Anyone else tried this and what methods have you used...

Thanks    GW

Rim thickness    Rimfire case are headspaced to roughly .040 depth.    These shells vary from ,035 to over ,045

Sorry easy to forget basics when explaining things.    You simply drop the 22 LR into the case mouth, then measure overall length.         GW

5 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Sorry easy to forget basics when explaining things.    You simply drop the 22 LR into the case mouth, then measure overall length.         GW

OK.  Zero your digital calipers on the case, drop in the. 22, measure OAL.

Once you clarified that, yes, you really meant thickness that was what came to mind. 

Darn, sounds so simple when you explain it    GW

I used to shoot rim fire bench rest and we sorted ammo by both weight and rim thickness. Tedious, but it does seem to work. 
Laramie

So, sorting .22 LR ammo by rim thickness and finding the thickness that your gun is most accurate with really works?

I had never heard this before. Interesting!

Would this just be for long guns or does this also affect pistols and revolvers?

Is this just for higher quality ammo, like match ammo, or does this work on cheap ammo too?

Thank you for posting this, by the way. I learned something new today. :)

What I have read is that it gives cheaper ammo the most improvement.    Good ammo is just good ammo.   Just eliminating one more variable         GW

I even sort ELEY Tenex for rim thickness. It is very consistent. I use the occasional off thickness ones for practice or fouling the barrel after cleaning. Must foul the barrel with the same ammo as different mfgr. use different lubes. 

44 minutes ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

I even sort ELEY Tenex for rim thickness. It is very consistent. I use the occasional off thickness ones for practice or fouling the barrel after cleaning. Must foul the barrel with the same ammo as different mfgr. use different lubes. 

HJ    which gage do you use?     GW

10 hours ago, Laramie said:

I used to shoot rim fire bench rest and we sorted ammo by both weight and rim thickness. Tedious, but it does seem to work. 
Laramie

Same question what gage did you use     GW

2 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Same question what gage did you use     GW

Same .223 case and a caliper. We saw the most improvement in mid priced ammo such as Wolf.

Laramie

G W Wade and others:  I use a G-3 gauge I bought from Sinclair a few years ago. They also sold the Hornady one that was formerly "Stoney Point".      I don't know if Brownells still handles them or not but I figure they are still available. Both brands work well bu I like the one piece  G-3 best.

Pat, NO for normal production handguns.  Only revolver you could see a difference is the Freedom Arms due to the tight tolerances. As for pistols I can see a difference with my Pardini SP  Bullseye Edition. None of my others.  With high quality bolt guns (Annie, Vudu, a number of custom bench rifles) you can certainly see a difference.  Normal rifles not so much. Only semi auto I have shot that shows the difference in are my KIDD Supergrades. Nothing with Volq's etc.

On 5/19/2021 at 5:15 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Nice cheap solution.  With the ammo shortage and production supposedly running 24/7 I don't think QC is high on the list of priorites.

I don't think Winchester White box ever had high quality control standards.

The bulk box ammo is sometimes the rejects that didn't meet QC for the 50rd box.  

On 5/19/2021 at 7:36 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

So, sorting .22 LR ammo by rim thickness and finding the thickness that your gun is most accurate with really works?

I had never heard this before. Interesting!

Would this just be for long guns or does this also affect pistols and revolvers?

Is this just for higher quality ammo, like match ammo, or does this work on cheap ammo too?

Thank you for posting this, by the way. I learned something new today. :)

The way I remember it (probably from the old Gil Hebard Catalog) was that measuring rim thickness would allow you to separate cartridges by common rim thickness.  Theoretically it  could improve group size.

Archived