SASS Wire Forum

Disassembly of Uberti 1873 Rifle

Black Mike

I have owned a number of Uberti 1873’s I’ve the last dozen years and taking them down for full cleaning has never been an issue. 

A fellow shooter brought his rifle over to learn how to take it down and put it back together. This rifle was purchased new and had only had a few hundred rounds through it. I took the side plates off then removed the toggles. Then I tried to remove the pin and wedge to remove the firing pin extension and bolt. This pin was in there solid. I tried tapping the pin with a brass punch but could not get it to free up. 
If it were mine I would have used a bit more force. 

Any suggestions on how I might free this pin?

Support the bolt with a block of hard wood. Tap from left to right. 

Mike, I have had pins that take more than a brass hammer to remove.  A little penetrating oil won’t hurt. Supporting the bolt as Lefty suggested will help focus the hammer force on the pin.  Once the pin is removed, a little polishing will make it easier next time.

48 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

That is for removing the extractor pin.  Don't know if it supports the bolt properly for the link pin, plus is it usable with the bolt still in the rifle, which the OP needs.?

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

That is for removing the extractor pin.  Don't know if it supports the bolt properly for the link pin, plus is it usable with the bolt still in the rifle, which the OP needs.?

Apparently not. I was thinking further ahead in disassembly & cleaning procedure.
Thanks for the clarification.

There are two different methods of attaching the two parts - the old simple pin and the newer (more authentic) extra part.

The pin - part 104:

AmArms_1866YellowboyCarbine_schem.jpg

And the new, stronger  Uberti style - part 721:

Uberti_1873Carbineschem.jpg

I used a small deep socket (believe 1/4 in) to support the bolt, while a friend balanced the rifle.   Wish mine was more like that. Mine the pins drop out when I turn the rifle over. Been that way since new.       GW

I had that pin snap in a brand new rifle and it cost me 6 unfired rounds that went over my shoulder. Jim Bowie replaced it with a piece of wire (that will not break) and it's been running for 15 years or more.

18 hours ago, G W Wade said:

I used a small deep socket (believe 1/4 in) to support the bolt, while a friend balanced the rifle.   Wish mine was more like that. Mine the pins drop out when I turn the rifle over. Been that way since new.       GW

If it is the old style with the small pin, you can very slightly enlarge the hole and cut off a standard (NOT high speed) drill bit to use as a bit that fits better and will be significantly stronger.

2 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

If it is the old style with the small pin, you can very slightly enlarge the hole and cut off a standard (NOT high speed) drill bit to use as a bit that fits better and will be significantly stronger.

The 73 is new style.    What is the reason you stated old style,   Was thinking of doing that     GW

I cut a piece of 1/2" dia. pipe to a length that will support the bolt with the rifle laying flat on a table.

Archived