SASS Wire Forum

Manurhin Revolvers

The 'algorithm' has brought up several vids within the last few days of Manurhin revolvers; Beretta USA is announcing within the last week or so that they will be selling the Manurhin 73 .357 mag in the US. A Thunder Ranch video also just popped up on my screen extolling the revolver in previously unheard-of terms.

A beautious French revolver indeed. Base price around $3,000.

Any pards have knowledge about these?

No, thanks.  Not my style for CAS.

.......... Cat Brules

image.thumb.jpeg.68d14dfe4948a901fa7e457c88490288.jpeg

Supposedly a sweet gun , I’ve never handled one . Have shot a Korth , they are supposed to be in the same class . 
Personally if I had the money to burn I’d get a new Python and matching Anaconda 

Nice but there are several ahead of it on my bucket list.

9 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

.......... Cat Brules

image.thumb.jpeg.68d14dfe4948a901fa7e457c88490288.jpeg

That's real good!

Since they are double actions.<_<

You do remember that it's OK to talk about non CAS stuff in the Saloon, right?  Says so right in the forum description.

I think it's #1 Way overpriced and #2 Ugly as heck! So no thanks!;)

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I think it's #1 Way overpriced and #2 Ugly as heck! So no thanks!;)

Well, clearly it's not ugly; the one Cat Brules posted a photo of certainly is, though.

Perhaps less overpriced than there being little reason for anybody to pay the price. But it's interesting, as is its history. One of the things I found interesting from the Thunder Ranch youtube vid was that they got great groups in double-action, significantly better than single-action.

Guys in other forums gloat about them and fall all over themselves touting the beauty, the wonder, the magnificence of Mahurin revolvers. 

The ones gloating are those that spent thousands on them. Not sure if they are that good or self brain washing is needed so that the cost is justified. 

Personally, I have no idea if they are that nice and I probably will not ever know. 

I seem to recall a bunch of folks in a certain sport we all share pretty much doing the same over $2500 and up Colt SAA’s. 

It’s all about what you want to do with YOUR money. 

To me expensive guns and religion have a lot in common. Once the hook is in one has to gather followers and hang with like minded folks. Not sure why. Might be human nature. 

27 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Well, clearly it's not ugly; the one Cat Brules posted a photo of certainly is, though.

Perhaps less overpriced than there being little reason for anybody to pay the price. But it's interesting, as is its history. One of the things I found interesting from the Thunder Ranch youtube vid was that they got great groups in double-action, significantly better than single-action.

Beauty or ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I can get great groups from a few of my S&W and Colt revolvers in double action for a whole lot less money! That’s all I have to say it’s just my opinion which actually means nothing at all! :lol:

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

To me expensive guns and religion have a lot in common. Once the hook is in one has to gather followers and hang with like minded folks. Not sure why. Might be human nature. 

This may overstate the situation. In my case, I find the revolver and its background interesting, and while I wouldn't buy one, I can understand why one would if he could afford it as a luxury. Sort of like shotguns after, say, a couple grand. I also thought the idea that a revolver was developed as a combat firearm by a vaunted secret service in the contemporary period was itself of note.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Beauty or ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

True enough. But the 73 is pretty much a standard/iconic sort of DA revolver in appearance. If it's ugly, so are a lot of Smiths and Colts.

1 minute ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

This may overstate the situation. In my case, I find the revolver and its background interesting, and while I wouldn't buy one, I can understand why one would if he could afford it as a luxury. Sort of like shotguns after, say, a couple grand. I also thought the idea that a revolver was developed as a combat firearm by a vaunted secret service in the contemporary period was itself of note.

True enough. But the 73 is pretty much a standard/iconic sort of DA revolver in appearance. If it's ugly, so are a lot of Smiths and Colts.

Sorry I just disagree! I think the Colts and Smiths are much better looking than this gun. Just MHO.

If you have the means , and it’s a itch you really want to scratch , why not ? But I’m also an enabler, and it’s not very often I’m going to discourage anyone from buying a new gun . 
At least the plandemic doesn’t seem to have effected the prices of the high end stuff as much .

Its funny how our minds work differently, if I really wanted one of these and considered the price fair for I’m getting I’d buy it in a minute , but paying $700 for a glock right now would give me the heebe jeebes . I guess it’s about perceived value. It’s your $$ , enjoy your freedom of choice .

Allot of people who are into guns would consider someone nutz for having $3000 into a set of single action pistols to play a game. 

12 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

That's real good!

Since they are double actions.<_<

You do remember that it's OK to talk about non CAS stuff in the Saloon, right?  Says so right in the forum description.

yeah..... (?),  What’s your point?

What’d I say above(?).........”not my style for CAS.”    I didn’t make a statement about what is or isn’t acceptable in competition, nor did I say that talking about these things in the forums is unacceptable.  Go back and read it.

Cat Brules

I did get to fondle a Manhurin once, action was very nice, personally I would rather have a vintage pre27 S&W for half the money. Hey, my opinion and a buck will get you an iced tea at McDs.

My interest in the Manurhin is recent and may be short-lived. But the history is most interesting, as any web search will disclose.

The inspiration for the revolver was, in fact, American revolvers, which influenced the decision of the French forces to develop a reliable service revolver in the 1970s, when the direction everywhere was toward semi-autos. They originally used Smith&Wessons, which, despite their high quality, did not stand up to their requirments. So they built an even better revolver. 

There seems to have been an unusual commitment to a totally reliable modern service and combat revolver, which should appeal to all us atavistic troglodytes who like revolvers. The Manurhin was used successfully in many serious anti-terrorist combat situations in modern times. So it's more than just a pricey thing made for the luxury market.

I don't know, but I suspect that even so, it may now have been superceded and is no longer used by French special forces-- don't know. Maybe that's why Beretta is bringing it to the US market with a big bang. Whatever, notwithstanding the price, it's the real thing. Or so it seems. Others may have a deeper understanding.

On 5/17/2021 at 11:28 PM, Cat Brules said:

.......... Cat Brules

11 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

yeah..... (?),  What’s your point?

What’d I say above(?).........”not my style for CAS.”    I didn’t make a statement about what is or isn’t acceptable in competition, nor did I say that talking about these things in the forums is unacceptable.  Go back and read it.

Cat Brules

My point?:huh:

My reading comprehension is just fine, how's yours? 

After all, a modern double action, swingout revolver with futuristic lines might be someone's ideal main match CAS revolver- even if it's not your 'style'.

10 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Regarding the French pistol: meh. 

Good strategy for a company to sell a handgun that's already passed a drop test and can be California compliant. 

:ph34r:

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/gigns-mr73-sniper-revolver-in-357-magnum/

I think the cool thing about these goes back to the ways in which revolvers and semi auto's are reliable in different ways.  generally, revolvers are more tolerant of neglect and semi's are more tolerant of high usage.  the Manurhin's are designed to withstand very high round counts from the daily training regimen's of the GIGN.  I'd love a clone of the MR73 for a truck varmit gun.  I wouldn't use a $3K+ set up for that however.

Archived