SASS Wire Forum

WTB Long Range Rifle in 38-55

Fast Eddie says I need an H&R Handi Rifle chambered in 38-55 to get started in Long Range side matches. I'd rather get it from one of y'all than on Gun Broker. Who can help a girl out here???

H&R s are hit and miss on accuracy, sights are hard to mount, (no tang) ejectors need to be deactivated etc.  I know, been there, done that.  Better bet is a Uberti Highwall or sort.  Costs more, but you won't have to replace it later on.  Sights are easier to mount as well.  Check twice before investing.  Ask me how I know this as well.  38-55 is a great cal, and there is nothing wrong with 40-65 or 45-70 for that matter.

Jump in there girl.

Al

AlOvera is right on many things in his post. The one I saw on Gunbroker is no prize. First thing you need to know has the chamber been opened to match the bore. I don't know if they are still available but Smith Enterprises made an easily mounted barrel sight.  If available think $150 to $200. The one on gun broker doesn't have a SASS legal sight. Neat fun gun but not legal in all long range side matches unless ejector is disabled. Popular gun in plainsman with the ejector. Check and recheck before you buy. An H&R 38-55 rifle, ready to shoot in SASS competition, was about $600- $650 +freight a year ago. Have no idea where they are priced today. Good luck in your search,

Marlin

You can’t go wrong with a Winchester/Miroku 1885 highwall in .38-55 either.  That was my starter long range rifle - won’t ever sell it.  Miroku rifles are well built and have great barrels.  Not sure if they still make the 28” barrel model, but used ones should be out there.  My $.02

Thank y'all for all of the good advice. I would love to find an 1885 highwall if I can. I know it would be more gold so I don't know if I can manage it or not.

2 hours ago, Marlin Buckhorn,SASS 51727 said:

I don't know if they are still available but Smith Enterprises made an easily mounted barrel sight.  If available think $150 to $200. The one on gun broker doesn't have a SASS legal sight. Neat fun gun but not legal in all long range side matches unless ejector is disabled. Popular gun in plainsman with the ejector.

These Handi Rifles in 38-55 have not been manufactured for several years.  They were designed after an earlier and very successful long range rifle.  Harrington and Wesson made the Buffalo Classic, which is a very nice rifle for Long Range.  Then Harrington and Richards started making these H&R Buffalo Classics.  They come new with a Williamson Peep Sight on the chamber end of the barrel and a Globe Sight on the muzzle end.  That configeration is not legal in SASS.  However, a Williamson Sight with the open "V" or "U" is legal.  You can buy the top of the sight from Williamson and slide it right on for $12 to $15 dollars..

If you prefer a peep sight, I have mounted several Marbles Sights on the wrist or tang.

Some of these rifles came with ejectors and some came with extractors, I have both.  According to the SASS Rule Book the ejector is not allowed in the Black Powder Buffalo Shoot.  They are legal in the SASS Long Range per se.  Some clubs divide their Long Range so the ejectors do not compete against extractors.  That includes the 1874 Sharps, High Walls, trap Doors and the Top Breaks.

I have found these rifles from other individuals or at gun shows.  They are rare on Gun Broker and mostly over priced.  The buffalo Classic in 45-70 always seems to be available.  We call these Thumpers for a reason. 

Good Luck in your search.

If you can make it to TUSCO for their High Noon in October you will several of these Buffalo Classics in action.

If your LR is 200 or so the H&R will likely be fine. If much further you will want better sights. No way to mount tang sights on the H&R. I have a 38-55 Uberti HiWall (NFS!) that is a very good rifle.  I’d really suggest saving your $ and buy once cry once! It is not likely to go down in value, so consider it an investment. I refer to my guns as my 401-G account! 

Kaya has one and it's like cheating. You just can't miss with it at 300 yards. It likes Starline brass, either long or short and .379 bullets that I cast. 

I went through the .38-55 buying jig, save your money and get one of the High Walls.  The Pedersoli rifle barrels are as good as anything out there and I think Uberti uses their barrels.  The barrel is what makes a good rifle.  Buy good and cry once or buy twice and cry much more.  I have a Browning rebarreled fro .40-65 to .38-55 with a mid range Shaver Souil Sight on it that will do 600 yards shooting a 336 gr bullet.  The 240-260 gr bullets I try not to shoot over 400 yards.  

For some very good info try http://www.texas-mac.com/Articles.html if you have not been there yet.

1 hour ago, Randy Atcher, SASS #54380 said:

The H&R Target and Buffalo Classics have Green Mountain barrels. 

Top notch!

Lots of ways to spend big money in long range gear. And then get beat by a little girl with an 1871. Get one. If it doesn't work out I'll buy it from you. :D 

15 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Lots of ways to spend big money in long range gear. And then get beat by a little girl with an 1871. Get one. If it doesn't work out I'll buy it from you. :D 

Thanks for all the good information both here and through PM. I'm thinking real hard about buying the one posted above by Randy Archer. 

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

No way to mount tang sights on the H&R. I have a 38-55 Uberti HiWall (NFS!) that is a very good rifle.  I’d really suggest saving your $ and buy once cry once! It is not likely to go down in value, so consider it an investment. I refer to my guns as my 401-G account! 

I have two that have Marbles Peep Sights mounted on the tang.

I started with a 1874 Sharps in 45-90, then discovered the 45-70s.  I bought five with my favorite being a Quigley by Pedersoli in 45-70.  Then I got beat on time with a 1885.  So, I now have six of those.  Some in 45-70 and some in 38-55.  The prettiest is the Browning in 38-55.  I have won state level matches with each type listed.   

Next, a fellow with a 1871 Buffalo Classic beat me on time when I was shooting a 1885.  There is no way I can load and shoot a 1874 or 1885 as fast as one can a 1871 Buffalo Classic.  Since we have to hit the target in the least amount of time, I have added nine buffalo Classics to my shooting.  I still shoot the 1885 for the longer distances.  I shoot some in the Black Powder competitions and others in the ejector or extractor categories.

I love the looks of the 1885. They just don't feel well for me. My Sharps does like a glove but man that thing gets heavy!  Try before you buy.

11 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I love the looks of the 1885. They just don't feel well for me. My Sharps does like a glove but man that thing gets heavy!  Try before you buy.

My 1874 Pedersoli Sharps has a 32 inch bull barrel and yes it does get heavy.  I didn't notice that so much in my 60s, but now in my 70s I have to shake it out during the shoot.  The 1885s are lighter and the 1871 is even lighter.  Folks shooting the 1871 in 45-70 are adding weight to lesson the felt recoil.

12 hours ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

I have two that have Marbles Peep Sights mounted on the tang.

I started with a 1874 Sharps in 45-90, then discovered the 45-70s.  I bought five with my favorite being a Quigley by Pedersoli in 45-70.  Then I got beat on time with a 1885.  So, I now have six of those.  Some in 45-70 and some in 38-55.  The prettiest is the Browning in 38-55.  I have won state level matches with each type listed.   

Next, a fellow with a 1871 Buffalo Classic beat me on time when I was shooting a 1885.  There is no way I can load and shoot a 1874 or 1885 as fast as one can a 1871 Buffalo Classic.  Since we have to hit the target in the least amount of time, I have added nine buffalo Classics to my shooting.  I still shoot the 1885 for the longer distances.  I shoot some in the Black Powder competitions and others in the ejector or extractor categories.

The Buffalo Classic definitely fast!    At a match with a Quigley bucket side match. 3 shots on target at 125 yds, no rest. most were taking about 25-30 seconds. I did it in 16! 

some fill the stock bolt cavity with shot to add a little weight, lessen felt recoil. 

While a tang sight can be mounted on the wood wrist, I don’t think it would be stable enough for true long range. 

Fox Creek Stitcher, I have a Buffalo Classic with a barrel mounted peep.  If you are going to the Great Spaghetti Western shoot in Texas in June, I can have it there.  Let me know and I will start figuring how much gold.  Nice gun in 38-55

Pedersoli makes a rolling block in .38-55.  Top Shelf products.

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/en/product/rolling-block-sporting-28

So from what hear people saying is my dads 1885 Winchester Highwall in 38-55 and 30" barrel is a good long range rifle.  I'm looking forward to shooting it.  Standard leaf rear sight and blade front.  

13 hours ago, Rev Willy Dunkum, SASS # 61027 said:

So from what hear people saying is my dads 1885 Winchester Highwall in 38-55 and 30" barrel is a good long range rifle.  I'm looking forward to shooting it.  Standard leaf rear sight and blade front.  

More of a mid-range rifle. Need a little more lead and oomph to knock down rams at 500 yards.

Thanks to all of you for your great advice and to all who made me offers both here and through PM.

I have decided to take your advice and am purchasing an Uberti/Cimmeron 1885 chambered in 38-55. It includes lots of extras (including dies) and I'm super excited!!!

<3

13 hours ago, Fox Creek Stitcher said:

Thanks to all of you for your great advice and to all who made me offers both here and through PM.

I have decided to take your advice and am purchasing an Uberti/Cimmeron 1885 chambered in 38-55. It includes lots of extras (including dies) and I'm super excited!!!

<3

I have a couple of those.  They are my go to Long Range Rifle after the Buffalo Classic.

Archived