SASS Wire Forum

My brass lost from a monthly match

Matthew Duncan

Wolff's Rowdy Rangers last Saturday.  Five stages with 20 rounds each.  In a perfect world I should get 100 spent 45 Colt cases back.  Just pulled what was returned to me from cleaning in the tumbler.  Here's the count:

2 - Split case, Starline brass.  No surprise this is my oldest brass.

3 - Split case, Winchester.  This is a surprise.  This is my second to the oldest brass.

1 - 38 Special.  Stowaway hidden inside a 45?

99 - useable 45 Colt. 

Total returned (not counting the 38 Special):  104 pieces of brass.

Alright Matthew..... Are you braggin’ or complainin’?

image.jpeg.7822ff1f937ebe5bcaff1f7beec6e503.jpeg

Cat Brules

I had a different experience this weekend.  I had just shot black powder.  The brass picker dumped my brass on top of a pile of brass for a lady shooter.  I groaned and explained to the lady how to wash the brass to prevent corrosion (her brass and mine were the same caliber- 38 Special and indistinguishable).  She gave the entire pile to me and then quietly took the brass picker aside for a discussion.

32 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I had a different experience this weekend.  I had just shot black powder.  The brass picker dumped my brass on top of a pile of brass for a lady shooter.  I groaned and explained to the lady how to wash the brass to prevent corrosion (her brass and mine were the same caliber- 38 Special and indistinguishable).  She gave the entire pile to me and then quietly took the brass picker aside for a discussion.

If I was the brass picker, I would have told her that she should pick up her brass quicker and then handed her the brass picker so she could "show me how it's done".

Picking brass is about the only thing I do anymore.  Can't see to spot or score and don;t want to chase shooter carrying the timer.    But I would never dump someone else's brass on some one else's     JMHO               GW

1 hour ago, Bramble Mountain Buzzard said:

Plenty of room on the unloading table to not stack brass. It is lazy, rude or spiteful to dump brass so it mixes with other peoples brass. 

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!

If anyone has a problem of any kind, picking up brass for others, just refuse to do it.  Don’t create problems for other people!  The above is a rude, nasty thing to do, and you border on starting an argument or a fight for doing it.  If you want to start trouble, do it somewhere else......dammit!   Don’t count on the extreme politeness and courtesy exhibited by most shooters at a SASS match if you pull a stunt like that!

Cat Brules

7 hours ago, Bramble Mountain Buzzard said:

Plenty of room on the unloading table to not stack brass. It is lazy, rude or spiteful to dump brass so it mixes with other peoples brass. 

Really hate to admit I agree with the Buzzard on anything but cowboy shooting is great             GW

10 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Picking brass is about the only thing I do anymore.  Can't see to spot or score and don;t want to chase shooter carrying the timer.    But I would never dump someone else's brass on some one else's     JMHO               GW

8 hours ago, Bramble Mountain Buzzard said:

6 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!

If anyone has a problem of any kind, picking up brass for others, just refuse to do it.  Don’t create problems for other people!  The above is a rude, nasty thing to do, and you border on starting an argument or a fight for doing it.  If you want to start trouble, do it somewhere else......dammit!   Don’t count on the extreme politeness and courtesy exhibited by most shooters at a SASS match if you pull a stunt like that!

Cat Brules

Maybe I misunderstood the post by Mr. Canby but I don't think so.

- Shooter "A" has shot the stage, cleared her guns at the ULT but has not picked up her brass for some reason.

- Stage has been reset, shooter "B" has eyed the stage, staged his guns, taken the starting position, shot the stage using black powder, finished the stage, retrieved his long guns, gone to the ULT, began to clear his guns and then his brass arrives. 

- How long has shooter "A" had to retrieve her brass? I'd say that she had had about 3 to 5 minutes from the time she cleared her guns to until Mr. Canby arrived at the table. Is that not enough time to get your brass?

Around here, the ULT is about 6' long on average. Some ranges have a 18" X !8" box with screen at the bottom to dump the brass/shot shells in. In most cases, 2' to 3' of this table is taken up by leather pouches, cans cigar boxes for people to put their brass in. That leaves about 3'+ of room to clear 2 pistols, rifle, shotgun and dump 4+ SG shells, 10 rifle brass and 10 pistol brass. One shooter's pile of spent cartridges is about 10" round. Where does the brass from shooter "B" go if shooter "A" has been inattentive to their own brass.

As far as the brass picker being lazy, rude or spiteful....really? They are picking up the brass, that rules out lazy. I doubt that they are intentionally trying to be rude or spiteful, they are just trying to do their VOLUNTEER task. They aren't trying to screw someone over. Then, have shooter "A" comes over to "tell them how to pick up and distribute brass because she was inattentive? Give me a break.

In 24 years of shooting CAS, I've never seen or heard of a rude, nasty brass picker who wanted to start an argument or a fight. That is just about the dumbest statement that I've heard in a long time but then I consider the source......what else would I expect.

20 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Cat Brules

Yes.

1 minute ago, Totes Magoats said:

My rifle and my wife's rifle kick our brass out front.  If I get 2 pieces of rifle brass back per stage, I feel lucky.

Totes

Are you shooting Marlins?

21 hours ago, Bramble Mountain Buzzard said:

I suspect it wasn't done with any malice intended. If I get to the unloading table & there's brass there that isn't mine I just place it in a neat pile. Benefit of the doubt.

On 5/17/2021 at 12:12 PM, Cat Brules said:

image.jpeg.7822ff1f937ebe5bcaff1f7beec6e503.jpeg

Cat Brules

Didn't he pronounce it "Math Hugh"?

11 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Didn't he pronounce it "Math Hugh"?

That’s what it kinda sounds like.

CB

We just make sure we have enough small baskets to handle all the shooters' brass.

That and holler for folks to pick up their brass at the ULT if the baskets start to build up.

Mind you, we only have 20 to 25 shooters at a match and most of us are pretty slow.

our club has 2 quart buckets for brass on the unloading table 

we try to have 2 brass pickers so  it goes fast 

after the shoot we have to pick up our shotgun wads and all brass 

2 weeks ago I  was screening brass and found 80 once fired 45-70 .. was good trip 

ive generally expected a 10% lost brass , usually less in reality ,  ive not kept track of what was my oldest or newest much , i just sort - reload/recycle as required , i have seen a turnover of "others" brass come through my returns , i seldom feel ive been shorted - got a lot of 38s back with my 45s over the years and im now looking to reload them so i think its a win , just part of the game 

9 hours ago, watab kid said:

...,  ive not kept track of what was my oldest or newest much , i just sort - reload/recycle as required ...

I know how old my brass is by the head-stamp and type.  Brass Starline is my original Generation 1 brass.  Generation 2 is Winchester brass.  Generation 3 is Tombstone brass and Generation 4 is Nickel Starline.   

Archived