SASS Wire Forum

Love these old military surplus ads

Buckshot Bob

On 5/17/2021 at 9:23 PM, Buckshot Bob said:

Wow they actually sold guns in Chicago 

Yup! Klein's Sporting Goods on Wabash St., right under the "El" in Downtown.  Walk in, pick one off the rack.  Don't recall they had any Johnson"s, but Garands of all flavors and conditions.  Must have been 1960, as I was 18.  No background checks, no nothin'!  Got a clean one, which turned out to have British proof marks on the right side of the barrel, when you opened the action.  You could buy non-corrosive M2 Ball ammo for 7 cents a round!  Most of it, IIRC, was TW54, which was quite accurate.  Used it in some matches out in California in '62.  Don't recall what I did with the rifle.  Long time ago. 

Stay well and safe, Pards!

On 5/17/2021 at 9:44 PM, Dustin Checotah said:

I talked my stepfather into buying one of these for my 15th birthday (1968). This is the ad but I don't remember if it was Hunters Lodge or Interarms. It was shipped by bus and we had to go to the local Greyhound station to pick it up. It took me a bit of time to figure out how to field strip it but I did. Being a kid with a new toy I wore a lot of bluing off of it, it was in pristine condition when I got it just as the ad states. The second pic is how it looks today.

IMG_20200716_0001.jpg

IMG_0752.JPG

I bought an aAstra when I was stationed in Germany in 68. I think it was $25. Spanish army surplus in a plastic bag with a factory fired target. Hideous trigger pull! I have a pic somewhere.\

Edit:

Found it! I hung it on the wall with a couple of medals I got in a little shop in downtown Bad Tölz.

Astra600.jpg

My first military collectible was my Garand bayonet I bought from one of those ads. I think I was 12. Still have it.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

My first military collectible was my Garand bayonet I bought from one of those ads. I think I was 12. Still have it.

Same for the bayonet. One of the teachers in our small rural school would make a run to a military depot nearby and pick up various items every once in awhile. I got the bayonet for 50 cents and still have it!:)

(I also have a nice scar on my right hand from playing with it!)

i still have an enfield that was bought from a barrel in a local hardware store for under $10 , my nephew has the springfield M1903 bought the same day for about the same , 

A buddy had a Johnson for a while.

Interesting contraption, but all in all not exactly overwhelming.  And the bayonet was junk.  

On 5/19/2021 at 8:17 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I bought an aAstra when I was stationed in Germany in 68. I think it was $25. Spanish army surplus in a plastic bag with a factory fired target. Hideous trigger pull! I have a pic somewhere.\

Edit:

Found it! I hung it on the wall with a couple of medals I got in a little shop in downtown Bad Tölz.

Astra600.jpg

You are right on the trigger pull and the recoil was a bit fierce too. Most of the time I was probably  shooting surplus SMG ammo.

Archived