SASS Wire Forum

Would you ram the gate?

Alpo

Watching North by Northwest. They've got the microfilm,  they've jumped in the car and are escaping from the bad guys, who are on foot. They come to the gate of the estate, and it is closed and locked. They mess with it for a while but cannot get it unlocked, and the bad guys on foot are getting closer, so they leave the car and head off into the woods.

I think I would have rammed the gate. If it worked, I would be through the gate, and going down the road (and then) IN THE, dammit otto, IN THE undoubtedly damaged car. But it's not my car so I don't care. If it did not work I'm not any worse off than I was. I'm still on the inside of the locked gate, having to go hide in the woods.

Hitch dropped the ball on that one.

That's why you don't get asked to write scripts! :)

I always love to watch the little boy in the restaurant cover his ears before the shot. Cracks me up that it made it into the movie.

Ramming the gate could result in being injured, making capture much easier

Turn the car around to back through the gate. 
Put your back bumper against the gate and slowly accelerate. 
If you don’t pop the lock that way, pull forward 20-30 feet, throw it in reverse and punch it. 
Hit brakes as soon as gate pops so you don’t back into something or go off the roadway on the other side. 

Per my brother the Demo Derby Champ “Always back into the other cars hard. Never ram them head on. You don’t want a damaged cooling system or some other damage that will disable your engine.”

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Turn the car around to back through the gate. 
Put your back bumper against the gate and slowly accelerate. 
If you don’t pop the lock that way, pull forward 20-30 feet, throw it in reverse and punch it. 
Hit brakes as soon as gate pops so you don’t back into something or go off the roadway on the other side. 

Per my brother the Demo Derby Champ “Always back into the other cars hard. Never ram them head on. You don’t want a damaged cooling system or some other damage that will disable your engine.”

Unless, of course, the engine is in the rear! :P

If characters in movies always did things the smart way pretty soon the entire movie would get really boring. After all, if you're a pretty young lady alone in a dark house at night, and you hear an unearthly noise in the attic, what is the smart thing to do? Why, go and investigate, of course! :rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Unless, of course, the engine is in the rear! :P

Rear engine car seldom have to worry about pushing the radiator into the fan.

2 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

If characters in movies always did things the smart way pretty soon the entire movie would get really boring. After all, if you're a pretty young lady alone in a dark house at night, and you hear an unearthly noise in the attic, what is the smart thing to do? Why, go and investigate, of course! :rolleyes:

There's this movie one time that I use often to explain why children need to learn how to use the gun.

Can't remember the name, but there was this Bigfoot-type creature living in a swamp in Georgia. There's a trailer house on the edge of the swamp, and it's got six or eight young teen girls in there, having a slumber party. No adult, so I'm guessing that Daddy went into town for pizza, because they live so far out that Dominos would not deliver.

The Bigfoot-thing tries to get into the trailer. Wandering around outside, pushing and scratching and pulling. And most of the girls are sitting in a big pile in the middle of a living room hugging each other and crying in fear.

Two girls are over at the gun rack. They got down Daddy's deer rifle and they got the box of ammunition out. They're going to protect themselves.

That was the smart thing to do. Crying and screaming with their friends would not help, if "whatever" outside managed to break in.

Unfortunately, Daddy had never shown her how the gun worked. The two girls could not figure out how to get the ammunition in the gun.

Fortunately the Bigfoot-thing gave up and went back into the swamp.

40 minutes ago, Alpo said:

There's this movie one time that I use often to explain why children need to learn how to use the gun.

Can't remember the name, but there was this Bigfoot-type creature living in a swamp in Georgia. There's a trailer house on the edge of the swamp, and it's got six or eight young teen girls in there, having a slumber party. No adult, so I'm guessing that Daddy went into town for pizza, because they live so far out that Dominos would not deliver.

The Bigfoot-thing tries to get into the trailer. Wandering around outside, pushing and scratching and pulling. And most of the girls are sitting in a big pile in the middle of a living room hugging each other and crying in fear.

Two girls are over at the gun rack. They got down Daddy's deer rifle and they got the box of ammunition out. They're going to protect themselves.

That was the smart thing to do. Crying and screaming with their friends would not help, if "whatever" outside managed to break in.

Unfortunately, Daddy had never shown her how the gun worked. The two girls could not figure out how to get the ammunition in the gun.

Fortunately the Bigfoot-thing gave up and went back into the swamp.

The Legend of Boggy Creek?

And, ram the gate slowly. Get outside the gate, turn the car around and wait....

21 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

The Legend of Boggy Creek?

Don't know. 1972 seems about the right time, but I was fair certain it was in Georgia, not Arkansas.

And the only movie I could remember it had it in a swamp was Swamp Thing, and I knew that wasn't it.

6 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Someone asked John Ford why didn't the Indians just shoot the horses to stop the coach in the movie Stagecoach.   His simple answer was then there wouldn't be a movie.

If you were trying to stop a six horse team, and we're only going to shoot one horse :P, would it work better to shoot a lead horse, or a wheel horse, or one of those two in the middle?

I'm thinking shoot a back horse and it would be dragged, where a front horse would cause the ones behind it to stumble over it, and possibly fall down. But then if you shot a wheeler, the coach might run over it and dump over.

It's an interesting puzzlement.

10 hours ago, Chantry said:

Ramming the gate could result in being injured, making capture much easier

They wouldn't take me alive.  If you were with me I wouldn't let them take you alive, either.  After all, what are friends for?  :o  :P

7 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

They wouldn't take me alive.  If you were with me I wouldn't let them take you alive, either.  After all, what are friends for?  :o  :P

Gee thanks,  I think  :lol::P

"Let's get in the running car!"

"Are you crazy?"

"Let's hide behind the chainsaws!"

Dialogue from TV commercial.

I scratch my head watching scenes where the hero knocks a murderous villain out with a punch to the jaw, causing the villain to drop his weapon.

The hero and the beautiful girl then run, leaving the weapon behind and the villain with his kneecaps intact.

If it was happening in real life, I would not, but then, I'm part Irish, part Indian and a miserable SOB when crossed.

Archived