SASS Wire Forum

This is not sparking joy

Ezra Hawthorne

I'm having the worst luck lately and I need to vent for a hot minute. I've spent the past few months trying to acquire things for my new hobby and have had no success with my efforts. As I mentioned before, I attended a gun show only to walk away empty handed because there was nothing being sold that I wanted to buy. I've spent weeks on GunBroker bidding on guns, holsters, ammunition, and accessories and so far have not won anything; everything being sold new commands outrageous prices and things that are used what would be in my price range if not for the shortage are selling for well over what the MSRP would normally be. I found a very affordable 1851 Navy open top revolver listed on the used gun section of the Cabela's website and called for nearly four hours trying to get somebody to answer the phone, when I finally did reach an employee they informed me it had sold already during that time.

I went browsing at three different thrift stores including Goodwill and Saver's last week hoping to find something good, but there was no Western clothing in stock on their racks. I found some cowboy boots yet all but one were too small/not size Wide, and the one in the right size was stretched out on both sides so much that my feet could slide around in them. I went to a Cal Ranch and found a Cowboy Hardware brand long sleeve snap button shirt I liked the style of but it was two sizes too big. I browsed the CH website but did not find this one listed, so I called them but they did not have one anywhere in their warehouse. A few days later I got the idea to call every other Cal Ranch store in the state, and one store had the shirt in stock and in my size. I requested a transfer be made to send it to my store to pick up, but after a few weeks of not hearing back from them I called again and asked the status of my order, only to be informed nobody made the transfer after all.

I submitted the request again, and the store informed me it would be in my stock at my store Friday. I show up there late in the afternoon, and the manager tells me they're still unloading the truck. I wander the store aimlessly for an hour and check again, and they tell me the item is not on the truck. I relay what I was told from the other store and the manager tells me if I submitted a transfer request, it would first be sent to a distribution center and wouldn't arrive for up to three weeks. So I sigh and drive home, get on the computer and decide to try my luck online. I find the Texas Jacks website, browse for a while and place an order for a few clothing items I liked. A week goes by and I notice this morning my pending transaction has been cancelled. I email TJ and they inform me my order was cancelled because they "didn't charge me enough money". (what?) They suggest I can place the order again if I want to, but will have to pay a higher cost than what my order confirmation lists. I really don't know why things can't be as simple as "A leads to B" these days..

I've been in a foul mood for weeks now and seriously second-guessing my decision to get into CAS. This was supposed to be something fun to look forward to but it's just become another source of stress for me.  -_-

I don't know if you've been to a shoot yet?
Id say dont sweat it too much although it can be frustrating for sure.
Have you tried your local armslist?(for firearms) Haunting the old gun stores (more likely to have single action firearms)
Craigslist is good for clothes sometimes....(even guns sometimes if you read between the lines)
As far as leather is concerned-you dont need the 600$ rig....a belt-maybe order 2 holster kits from tandy leather and put em together yourself....
Just go to the shoots, borrow stuff-some people will sell stuff...just relax, it doesnt have to be full equiped to be fun-besides, you'll change your mind at least twice and trade the stff you first get anyway!

Lots of things for this game are in short supply everywhere.   You really aren't paranoid.  Life really is out to getcha.  Noticed your also having trouble joining and getting your SASS number.  Using the classifieds does require a SASS number.

Best of luck  

Ezra,

what size are you and be specific on what you need. Pecos Pav and others in NJ may have some clothes etc

I am 5'9 and 145 pounds, I wear size 10 1/2 wide New Balance shoes and pick size Large long sleeves shirts so they don't ride up my forearms the way Medium does. At the moment I don't have anything of my own; guns/holsters/leather, not boots or pants or shirts or hats aside from a borrowed straw hat woven into the shape of a cowboy style duster. Everything left by my late grandfather is three to four sizes too big on me and not mine to keep anyhow.

Twin Falls ID (Jerome) has their annual shoot May 28-30. A little less than two weeks from now. It looks like it is  a little less than 200 miles from you. It is a really good shoot a neat way to meet a bunch of the cowboys from up there.

kR

Watch the SASS wIre classifieds, also check the merchant side, and check out John Barleycorn.  (He seems to be the quickest on the draw with a lot of firearms), or Cody, or Lassiter, or other cowboy smiths.  They usually have guns in stock they worked up.  Check and keep an eye at Taylor’s firearms too to purchase when stock comes in.  Last, believe it or not, go to Amazon.  They have Scully and Wahmaker in stock, hats, and other clothes  that work for cowboy too.  Cabelas has boots that will ship right to you too.   I like hats from a group called American Hat Makers and they have hats from leather, to felt to straw in classic cowboy hats, to top hats, to you name it...  
I know a lot want to support local brick and mortar, but sometimes the you have to cast the net wider...  

I placed a WTB post for leather the day I joined...  I was contacted by 2 local cowboys.... I met them personally... then another one - they helped me out to acquire 2 leather rigs, gun cart, reloading press and 2000 rounds supplies, a hat, a shotgun....

Go out there and meet local people - talk to them about what you need - you will be set in no time!

I understand your frustration. Today, wall hangers* go for ridiculous prices.

I got lucky with a set of revolvers that would work for me, but there was a significant delay between when I bought them and when I originally though of getting them. Thanks to the delay, they ended up being in the caliber I actually wanted rather than what I originally thought I wanted.

Rifle? Dang, that was a bit of a long road. And it involved findings from researching my chosen alias. John Kloehr is a significant historical figure. I even got input on a thread here analyzing a picture of the real JK holding his rifle (from a newspaper article).

And I had planned to get the rifle at the Vegas Shot Show, but CoViD... So over a year later, I found the rifle. I still have not shot it in a match, planning on June though :)

And my first set of leather did not work out (could give you a deal on my reject, it would work for a match or three until you also pony up for something better). I did, and that took a couple of months to arrive.

And shotgun... I got seriously lucky on that, a local club member offered one up and I just snagged it. It shoots good and I happily gave my lady back her budget POS break it open across your knee pull real hard on the spent shells to extract them very light gun kicks like a mule SxS. An SKB would be better but the Stoeger I scored shoots better than I do.

Have already passed on some gear to others who are thrilled with it, being honest with why it did not work for me (did work for them).

Also picked up two gun carts by watching local club postings (one for a single shooter, one for me and my lady to go together).

Also slowly getting supplies and tools for reloading, but not at the point of ordering a press. Sometime in the next year, but I got lucky getting ammo as the damnpanic got going and can still shoot for a while.

It has been a long road for me in this sport, and the thought of getting started today makes the total project look much more difficult. But the big lesson for me over a year ago was to be patient; seriously patient.

Best advice I can give you is to join every forum for a club in any reasonable driving distance and introduce yourself; And put posts for the items you are looking for in the classifieds here and in all those places... One post per item (or class of item like clothes).

Oh, and as you find the items, go back to all the other places and close out those threads, 'cuz cowboy manners matter.

For guns, are you looking for any available or something specific? Do you care about caliber? Willing to trade up later or are you a pay-once cry-once person?

* Wall Hanger: any gun that won't shoot reliably, if it can shoot at all; not suitable for this sport.

2 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

Twin Falls ID (Jerome) has their annual shoot May 28-30. A little less than two weeks from now. It looks like it is  a little less than 200 miles from you. It is a really good shoot a neat way to meet a bunch of the cowboys from up there.

kR

200 miles is a little too far away for me to travel by car at the moment.

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

For guns, are you looking for any available or something specific? Do you care about caliber? Willing to trade up later or are you a pay-once cry-once person?

I haven't shot very many calibers but i'm fairly confident I would be content with .32 and .38, or a .357 and load it with .38, these would better suit my smaller stature. I have a meager budget set aside for my gear and I contribute to it daily, but I still I wish I could pay "pre-panic prices" on primarily used guns; things scratched/dinged/scuffed/flaking/chipped/tarnished/discolored or otherwise worn for now. I'm trying to decide if I should acquire cheaper mismatched things to have funds left over, or bite the bullet and pay a premium for something i'll use and end up keeping.

@Ezra Hawthorne +1 on dealing with @Barleycorn Outfitters great guy to deal with. Also, let us know in the WTB forum. Lots of folks with stuff in the back of the safe.

https://www.historicalemporium.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_5yf-sHP8AIVJMqUCR3KkQ1ZEAAYASAAEgJVdvD_BwE

clothing, hats, boots, & economy leather gun belts.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022598067?pid=381450

A few guns in stock at Midway.

This one is in .45 Colt.

A guy can go all out if time and budget aren’t a primary concern, but blue jeans and a button up shirt with work boots and any ole wide brimmed hat will be fine for starters. Leaves more budget for guns and ammunition.

3 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

kR

That’s a great idea and annual/state shoots are frequently places where folks bring stuff to sell/trade. 

Please don’t get discouraged and give up! This game REALLY is fun and worth the effort!

Great big hugs!

Scarlett

Ezra, 

what size hat do you wear?

my clothes are too large for you but I might have a hat.

is there a local club near you?

if you go to a match and get involved, even though you may not be ready to shoot, many will see your effort to help and respect your effort.

Earned respect becomes a reason to help.

It’s how must of us got started.

CAS shooters are great people especially when they SEE you also live the Cowboy way.

For firearms I was in the same boat. Would have liked Ruger Vaqueros but they are going for buku bucks right now. Ended up with two Uberti SASS Pro's in 45LC (my desired round) for a little over 1200 new. I have put about 300 rounds through them to break them in and they work great.

Got lucky and grabbed a Stoeger SXS at Bass pro (it had been on the shelf a whopping 12 hrs) and the wife purchased our rifle from Taylor's. 

I would definietly recommend scoping out the Taylor's and Cimarron (both Uberti importers) websites for handguns at least, rifles also come available with surprising regularity. Plus with Taylor's you can back-order the ones you really want if they're not in stock. 

Like others have said if you don't have the gear don't fret. Pards at the local shoots will be more than happy to let you use their gear or spare gear. I've offered to pay for their reloads, which is good practice, but every time they turn my money down. Greatest group of people I've had the pleasure of dealing with. No one is going to hold you to the highest standards when you're just starting out. Just come out and enjoy the fun and meet some great people!

You're over thinking the clothing aspect.

Cowboy boots are not required. In my opinion they are one of the most uncomfortable things you can wear walking around.

Hats aren't required except for B-Western and Classic Cowboy.

Any pair of jeans will work. I avoid Levi's because they are anti-gun.

Any long sleeve shirt will work. It doesn't have to be "western". We had a new shooter wear a long sleeve white dress shirt. His name became Sam White shirt.

36 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Cowboy boots are not required. In my opinion they are one of the most uncomfortable things you can wear walking around.

But my lady loves my walk when I'm wearing them.

Also, what is your waist size, what type of revolvers and barrel length and cartridge are the goals? Those things are what you can post here and folks will gladly see what they have!

My very first set of cowboy clothes were purchased at Goodwill for a total of $7. I bought a red dress shirt and removed the collar and pocket. I bought a pair of black pin stripped suit pants, removed the belt loops, and sewed on 4 buttons to hook up a set of red suspenders. Two weeks ago I picked up a pair of blank jeans at Walmart for $17.

On 5/16/2021 at 6:21 PM, Ezra Hawthorne said:

The Utah State SASS match is in Salt Lake City starting June 1st.  June 3rd, 4th or 5th would be the best days to shop.  This match is local for you.

I gave up rather quickly looking for an “inexpensive” rifle that I thought would be suitable for me.  I wound up instead, doing what I should’ve done to begin with, and contacted Coyote Cap.  I bought from hi a new, reproduction Winchester lever gun exactly in the barrel length I wanted, and he performed certain other customizations that suited me perfectly, etc.  I.e., the magazine has to hold at least 10 rounds, etc.  I don’t regret doing that one bit.   I was very fortunate in being able to purchase a very slightly used pair of USFA SAA revolvers in .38Special.  In my opinion they are as good as or better than, Colt’s SAA’s.  The guy I purchased them from liked Ruger Vaqueros better.

Anyway, the point is, we have to realize that our equipment is not inexpensive.  If we are going to do CAS, we must create a budget, that is realistically going to be more than we would like to spend.  We should further realize that some of these expenditures are for items that we might consider to be big budget items that we (very often) only buy once.  

............Anyway, buy carefully!

Once again we should budget for these things. And, the budgeted prices should be realistic.

Cat Brules

Yup....things are out there. Just need to speak your needs.

Don't wait to get involved...

Contact the club you intend to call home, tell them you are coming...and show up!

Only outlawed clothing are ball caps, sneakers, ect. (Find what you CAN'T wear in the SASS handbook, and wear anything else)

Show up if you call, because someone will be expecting you!

Many of us bring a little extra, and extra guns so you will be invited to dhoot a stage or two (or six)

**6 folks offering 20 rounds and 4 shotgun is not going to break anyone***

Go out and at least participate, meet folks...

It all starts on the stage!

First, welcome to our game.  I see you visited Goodwill and Salvation Army and didn't see any Western wear there.  I beg to differ with you.  They had racks of Western wear, you just weren't looking at it right.  Buy standard solid color or moderately striped collared dress shirts.  Pick up a seam ripper at an large department store.  Remove collars and pockets.  Sew the hole back up in the collar, and walla, a banded collar shirt.  I bet they also had black and tan and blue jeans.  Those work fine.  If you want to get fancy, cut off the belt loops and sew buttons on for suspenders.   

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

First, welcome to our game.  I see you visited Goodwill and Salvation Army and didn't see any Western wear there.  I beg to differ with you.  They had racks of Western wear, you just weren't looking at it right.  Buy standard solid color or moderately striped collared dress shirts.  Pick up a seam ripper at an large department store.  Remove collars and pockets.  Sew the hole back up in the collar, and walla, a banded collar shirt.  I bet they also had black and tan and blue jeans.  Those work fine.  If you want to get fancy, cut off the belt loops and sew buttons on for suspenders.   

Or if you're as lazy as I am don't bother with any of that.  Just wear the shirt.  Banded collars aren't a requirement.;)

I usually see lots of banded collars at Goodwill.  But really, any long sleeve shirt, jeans, and leather shoes is fine to start.  

I wrote this article a really long time ago, but it is still fairly relevant:   Cheap duds

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Or if you're as lazy as I am don't bother with any of that.  Just wear the shirt.  Banded collars aren't a requirement.;)

Of course you are correct.  I'm a bit lazy too.  I do the seam ripping, Mrs. Sarge sews em back up for me.  

On 5/16/2021 at 7:21 PM, Ezra Hawthorne said:

I haven't shot very many calibers but i'm fairly confident I would be content with .32 and .38, or a .357 and load it with .38, these would better suit my smaller stature. I have a meager budget set aside for my gear and I contribute to it daily, but I still I wish I could pay "pre-panic prices" on primarily used guns; things scratched/dinged/scuffed/flaking/chipped/tarnished/discolored or otherwise worn for now. I'm trying to decide if I should acquire cheaper mismatched things to have funds left over, or bite the bullet and pay a premium for something i'll use and end up keeping.

just my humble oppimion and how i started - mismatched is not a big thing , lets you try a few till you settle on what really suites you best , ive still got my first revolver , a no longer produced item that i got offered cheap by another cowboy and its never matched anything else i shot back then or shoot today but i kinda like it ,  you gatta start somewhere , if you have a small budget buy budget used and figure out when to replace them when funds allow and you know what you want , 

my other thought is getting to know a few cowboys may lead to a "borrowed" gun till you get your own , go to a couple shoots and get to know folks , you may be amazed , 

im your size but most everything i own is well used , i might be able to help with leather depending on what direction your headed - PM me ill fill you in on what i have , 

Archived