SASS Wire Forum

Back to traveling again

Leaving today for a few days in our RV. Going to Utah to meet with one of my cousins and his wife from California. First time we have been out of state in 18 months. Looking forward to having a great time and starting to get back to a little more normal times. We are also planning an RV trip with friends to New Mexico in early June and another RV trip to Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Utah in July or August. 

Really looking forward to getting back to some normal activities!:D:FlagAm:

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Leaving today for a few days in our RV. Going to Utah to meet with one of my cousins and his wife from California. First time we have been out of state in 18 months. Looking forward to having a great time and starting to get back to a little more normal times. We are also planning an RV trip with friends to New Mexico in early June and another RV trip to Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Utah in July or August. 

No Alaska fishing this year?

Barb and I and our little dog, Buster are leaving tomorrow (5/17) for Idaho for the next 10 days. A much needed vacation.

On 5/16/2021 at 10:59 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Where are you going to be in Utah?

Just got home. Stayed in Green River, All the rv parks in Moab were booked. Met my cousin and his wife for a few days of fun. My niece also came over from Salina for the day on Monday. Got to see her too, as she is moving to San Antonio, Tx in a couple of months. Overall had a great time, but everything really crowded. It is so crowded at Arches NP, that the only way to get in is to make a reservation.

On 5/16/2021 at 6:35 AM, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

If you are going to be in Montana around the middle of July (15-18) you could come to Great Falls and shoot the SASS  MT state shoot.

Jeb 

I hope your traveling has been, and will be, safe and fun!  
Best wishes and good times to you.

Cat Brules

I'm from Logan, up near the Idaho line in Cache County.

Used to be very familiar with that entire area from Grand Canyon yo the Canadian border.  To see the whole thing would take a lot of lifetimes, but it's all beautiful.

12 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Used to be very familiar with that entire area from Grand Canyon yo the Canadian border.  To see the whole thing would take a lot of lifetimes, but it's all beautiful.

We are going to be In the NW part of the country for a while this summer. Anything of special interest that we should see? We will be staying in Jerome ID.

kR

Yellowstone, Twin Falls, Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon, The Grand Tetons (You can't avoid seeing them), Sun Valley (if you're there during the time the Persied Meteor Showers are falling it is one of the best places on the planet to watch them), Kellogg.....so many more places.  You won't have enough time in the rest of your life to see them all.

Used to be a dude ranch not far from Yellowstone called Mosquito Flats.  It was owned by a family friend named Rendall Daines. It's probably gone now because it sure lived up to its name.

If you get to the lodge at West Thumb have a meal.  I spent a summer there washing dishes.   :rolleyes:

I also  got "arrested" in Sun Valley for not wearing a cowboy hat during some festival.  Two friends and I were "jailed" for a half and hour, fined four bits each, and treated to a wonderful steak dinner.

Take pictures.  Take a LOT of pictures. Many millions of people have visited Yellowstone and all have taken pictures...... and there are many more pictures, unique pictures, still waiting to be captured.

Have fun.

14 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

When I was in Florida a co-worker wanted to take a second honeymoon out west. I suggested Utah. I asked him how he liked iy when he got back.

”It was the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen”, he said. “They should rename the state to “Oh My God! Look At That!”
I agreed that was an appropriate name but probably wouldn’t fit on a license plate. :D

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

When I was in Florida a co-worker wanted to take a second honeymoon out west. I suggested Utah. I asked him how he liked iy when he got back.

”It was the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen”, he said. “They should rename the state to “Oh My God! Look At That!”
I agreed that was an appropriate name but probably wouldn’t fit on a license plate. :D

Could be a great bumper sticker, though.  

The Canyon Lands, Logan Canyon (stop at Ricks' Spring for a cold refreshment), Great Salt Lake sunsets (especially around the towns of Sunset and Roy), the entire area around Provo-Spanish Fork-American Fork and Cedar City are all marvelous.  So are the places near Saint George (if you can take the heat and winds), Bear Lake (beware of the Bear Lake Monster) on the Utah-Idaho-Wyoming border, and the skiing spots in Logan Canyon and east of Salt Lake.  Then there's the spots near Brigham City (visit the Idle Isle Cafe and  Candy Factory across the street,) and north to Snowville, Crystal Springs and all the way west  and north to Wendover and Reno. And the dinosaur sites in the mountains east of Salt Lake.  You gotta see sea shells and other ocean critter remains fossilized in stones at 9,000 feet above seal level for yourself or you'll never believe it.

Used to be I'd encourage people to go swimming in the lake.  You can't sink in it because of the salt content.  Now it's so polluted I wouldn't risk it....but once upon a time it was fun.

There are more geological areas in Utah than almost anyplace else on earth.  If I were younger and in better health I'd go back every year for a couple of months.....but there isn't enough money to get me to live there again.  Too many interfering relatives for my liking.

Archived