SASS Wire Forum

Israel’s Iron Dome

Very impressive!

Wait, wait, I’ve seen this movie. Isn’t this the one where Hamas starts things off by firing a bazillion rockets from civilian enclaves? And then when IDF defends itself, Hamas and a complicit media cry foul? And then a cease fire is brokered which is then broken by Hamas a couple of years later?

15 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Isn’t this the one where Hamas starts things off...

A classic Western perspective, but woefully incomplete. 

There are enough “root causes” of the current situation to fill volumes.

My personal take is that it was the US and Britain who “started things off”.  To say any more would go down the path of political speech that might get me in detention a while, and I’d prefer not to go there. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

My personal take is that it was the US and Britain who “started things off”.  To say any more would go down the path of political speech that might get me in detention a while, and I’d prefer not to go there. 

I would say centuries of persecution culminating in the Holocaust really got things going. And we need to remember the meddling of other nations through the decades since, including the Soviet Union, who played their share in mucking things up.

We could also go back to the Ottoman Empire prior to WWI plus the redrawing of its boundaries by the Versailles Treaty that played a big role. So where does one pick a spot on the calendar?

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

To say any more would go down the path of political speech that might get me in detention a while, and I’d prefer not to go there. 

Usually what l think when it’s too late :) 

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I would say centuries of persecution culminating in the Holocaust really got things going. And we need to remember the meddling of other nations through the decades since, including the Soviet Union, who played their share in mucking things up.

We could also go back to the Ottoman Empire prior to WWI plus the redrawing of its boundaries by the Versailles Treaty that played a big role. So where does one pick a spot on the calendar?

Perhaps where Cain hit Able with the rock?

26 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Perhaps where Cain hit Able with the rock?

I always tell people: if you have not walked the streets in Israel then don’t throw stones. ;)

I would not know so much about Israel if it were not for President Reagan.  He had the Navy setting off of Lebanon for almost 4 years, so every Mediterranean cruise off the coast of Lebanon you go. The closest friendly ports were Haifa and Ashdod, so we got to know the people they were always nice to us.  The one thing that left the biggest impression on me was seeing kids carrying gas mask. 

Great book about the being of their air force in 1948.

Angels in the sky: it really surprise most Americans.

Archived