SASS Wire Forum

How to start a new posse

JJ McCann

My buddy and I started shooting with a great group but they are about an hour and a half away.  Thought it might be more efficient if we started our own posse at a gun club closer to home.  The range safety/gun handling is less the issue as we both either are or were firearms instructors, both veterans and we both still carry a sidearm for work everyday.  Familiar with gun safety.  Just looking for a little help here.

Find a landowner.

Put your agreement with the landowner in WRITING

Figure out how to pay for the targets in advance.

Notify all that you can to see IF there is a big enough group interested.

There are some CAS safety protocols the host club needs to understand that differ from modern action shooting sports.  We can shoot at steel targets closer than 25-yards because we only shoot lead bullets at limited velocities.  Further, our shooting line extends from the loading table to the unloading table.  Uninformed observers may think we do not load on the line.

Try to get a club officer to sponsor your activity.  Club politics can get petty.  Don’t loan your steel to anyone or leave it set up or it will quickly become scrap.

Finding a location is key. Then pick a weekend that no other clubs within a reasonable driving distance use. I’d use at least 200 miles.  (I frequently drive 3+ hrs to a match). I’m sure SASS has lots of helpful info on starting a club. 

One of the big problems some cowboy clubs have experienced is competition for the host club's facilities.  If space is limited the use of the appropriate range may be difficult to schedule.  One club I shot at did a financial analysis of the different shooting disciplines using the range.  Once the steel has been paid for, the return to the club is in the 90% range, however, the initial outlay for targets is high.  There has to be a fairly high interest from shooters, club members or not, for most clubs to allow this activity.

7 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

If you have a place to shoot, have the will and the motivation to start a 'new club'...and want to be SASS affiliated, please contact Ruby@sassnet.com

She will give you all the support and proper guidance.

Good luck.

I have started two clubs.

They did send me the paper work to be completed, but that is all.  I am still waiting for the free flag I was to receive.

One of the biggest hang ups with affiliating with SASS is the insurance requirement and the Annual Assessment Fee.  Next you will need to have a Territorial Governor.  They do not have to be a member of your club.

Several smaller clubs just form and shoot without affiliating.

7 minutes ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

I have started two clubs.

They did send me the paper work to be completed, but that is all.  I am still waiting for the free flag I was to receive.

One of the biggest hang ups with affiliating with SASS is the insurance requirement and the Annual Assessment Fee.  Next you will need to have a Territorial Governor.  They do not have to be a member of your club.

Several smaller clubs just form and shoot without affiliating.

Sorry the flag did not come.

Yes, requirements to be met to be SASS affiliated.

Hope you will call and request your flags again.

First and foremost, Add up the costs

Insurance

Targets ( even if you only have a couple stages worth they add up fast) (BTW Cheap targets don't last)

Target stands (BTW Rebar sucks as target stand material. Lots of splatter)

Shotgun targets

Labor costs to build / assemble the stands.

Timers

PC or tablet to do the scores. (Even if you use paper to keep score you need to process the data)

Tables for loading and unloading. 

Place to store above.

Now where are you going to get the money for all the above? 

Second Income sources.

How many shooters do you expect at each match?

What will match fees be?

Club Membership fees?

How much will go to the land owner / hosting club?

10 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

If you have a place to shoot, have the will and the motivation to start a 'new club'...and want to be SASS affiliated, please contact Ruby@sassnet.com

She will give you all the support and proper guidance.

Good luck.

THIS!!

12 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

First and foremost, Add up the costs

Insurance

Targets ( even if you only have a couple stages worth they add up fast) (BTW Cheap targets don't last)

Target stands (BTW Rebar sucks as target stand material. Lots of splatter)

Shotgun targets

Labor costs to build / assemble the stands.

Timers

PC or tablet to do the scores. (Even if you use paper to keep score you need to process the data)

Tables for loading and unloading. 

Place to store above.

Now where are you going to get the money for all the above? 

Second Income sources.

How many shooters do you expect at each match?

What will match fees be?

Club Membership fees?

How much will go to the land owner / hosting club?

I used to teach welding so I made all of the targets to include shotgun knockdowns, a tombstone rack, a shooting tree, and a target array stand.  I also made the loading and unloading tables, plus a target shed in which to store targets.  I purchased an enclosed trailer which I parked on the range to store our materials.  I purchased five timers and use a stubby pencil to complete the scores.  I do the website myself, so posting of the scores is not an issue.

I completed an agreement with a Sportsmen's Club to piggy back on their insurance and found a Territorial Governor to add us to his fold.  I paid the Affiliation Fee out of my pocket, but after several years, I have stopped paying myself.  Our shooting fees are donated to the host club for their providing us with a separate range.

Yeah I wish our club had some private land we could set up on. Then we wouldn't have to bow down to our range....but I'm sure insurance for hosting shoots would be crazy..

2 hours ago, Black RZR said:

Yeah I wish our club had some private land we could set up on. Then we wouldn't have to bow down to our range....but I'm sure insurance for hosting shoots would be crazy..

It all depends on a lot of variables but as starting point for insurance figure $100 per month or $1200 a year.

Archived