SASS Wire Forum

mentos

Alpo

15-16 years ago I’d pick up my grandson and a couple of friends of his from school. They’d do their homework and have a snack and then play video games or go outside and play basketball or goof around. One day one of them wanted to show us a mentos trick that he learned from his brother. 

He had me get my pellet rifle ready and he took one of those brand new, full bottles of Coke and set it on one of the boulders across the creek. He took 6 or 8 mentos and wrapped them in a bubble gum wrapper or something and hurriedly stuffed  them in the Coke bottle and screwed the cap back on tight and sat it back down. He came back across the creek and told me to shoot the bottle when he said so. We waited a minute or two and all of the sudden the bottle swelled up and he told me to shoot it. I did and there was a massive coke explosion and the bottle went spinning and bouncing off. The .177 caliber hole was about the size of a quarter when they found the bottle.

Quoting Yul here:
"We waited a minute or two and all of the sudden the bottle swelled up ...."

When he says the bottle swelled, I believe it, and I definitely believe the pressure relief as described: those bottles will hold a phenomenal number of them-there PSI thangs engineers like to brag about!

(That sounds like fun, I'm gonna have to try that!)

(Okay, maybe not, but it still sounds like fun!)

NSFI

Not safe for inside. :lol:

23 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Quoting Yul here:
"We waited a minute or two and all of the sudden the bottle swelled up ...."

When he says the bottle swelled, I believe it, and I definitely believe the pressure relief as described: those bottles will hold a phenomenal number of them-there PSI thangs engineers like to brag about!

(That sounds like fun, I'm gonna have to try that!)

(Okay, maybe not, but it still sounds like fun!)

Thats why the dry ice or aluminum foil are more fun (and more expensive), those psi things grow faster and don't require a .177 instigator.

Archived