SASS Wire Forum

Chernobyl in the news again

For those who don’t know, I toured the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone in 2017 before it became “a destination” because of the documentary.*

an inaccessible room in the reactor has been warming for three years. A proposed solution is to have a robot breach the room and throw neutron absorbing material on the surfaces.  In 1986, all of the purchased robots died prematurely because the Soviets lied about the strength of the radiation.

second item.  A field of rye was grown in the Zone and used to make Vodka also using water from the Chernobyl aquifer (which has often tested as radioactive). It may be purchased under the name ATOMIK.  Here hold my wodka and watch this!

—————

* After the British produced documentary, Putler, excuse me ‘Putin’ pledged to have a Russian documentary produced which would tell the truth. It has yet to appear.

I remember you talking about your tour in 2017. 

Years ago when I was getting out of the Navy (Dec. 1982) I had an job opportunity with a company that was developing  robots for monitoring and cleaning up Three Mile Island. The “head hunter” that was supposed to get me an interview dropped the ball so I dropped him. 
I am quite sure those “robots” were nothing like the ones Boston Dynamics makes today. 

Time, distance and shielding.  The cornerstones of radiation exposure minimization.

Time - Don't stay at Chernobyl long.  Better yet, don't go there at all.

Distance - Keep at least 1/4 of the Earth's circumference between yourself and Chernobyl at all times.

Shielding - That's what western Europe is for.

Carry on.

I realize that this isn't a technical journal and is meant for popular consumption but:

This potential explosion wouldn't be anywhere near as devastating as the one that shattered the plant in 1986, which resulted in thousands of deaths and spewed a radioactive cloud over Europe, Maxim Saveliev, a senior researcher with the Institute for Safety Problems of Nuclear Power Plants (ISPNPP) in Kyiv, Ukraine, told Science. If the nuclear material ignites again, the blast will be largely contained within the steel and concrete cage known as the Shelter, which officials built around the plant's ruined Unit Four reactor one year after the accident.

Or it could go like Upshot-Knothole Grable .  

A group fornication in a positive Z of epic proportions.

thanks for second news item - I am contacting them to buy couple bottles... :)  I grew up about 100 miles from Pripyat :)  still remember nurses with Geiger counters checking us over at school in May 1986 - I was 16

9 minutes ago, Last Call Saul said:

thanks for second news item - I am contacting them to buy couple bottles... :)  I grew up about 100 miles from Pripyat :)  still remember nurses with Geiger counters checking us over at school in May 1986 - I was 16

3E760F4A-ACF7-45A6-A073-D7E1438F92C6.jpeg

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

For those who don’t know, I toured the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone in 2017 before it became “a destination” because of the documentary.*

an inaccessible room in the reactor has been warming for three years. A proposed solution is to have a robot breach the room and throw neutron absorbing material on the surfaces.  In 1986, all of the purchased robots died prematurely because the Soviets lied about the strength of the radiation.

second item.  A field of rye was grown in the Zone and used to make Vodka also using water from the Chernobyl aquifer (which has often tested as radioactive). It may be purchased under the name ATOMIK.  Here hold my wodka and watch this!

—————

* After the British produced documentary, Putler, excuse me ‘Putin’ pledged to have a Russian documentary produced which would tell the truth. It has yet to appear.

It’s good to be able to find yore Vodka in the dark.

I question weather the Russians themselves even know what happened there to cause that meltdown.

Cat Brules

I wonder why they can't use the OTHER 233,000 square miles of land for cultivation of a liquor crop? Just have to use crops within the 18 mile exclusion zone. Maybe they are planning on larger, much larger exclusion zones in the future.:o

30 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I wonder why they can't use the OTHER 233,000 square miles of land for cultivation of a liquor crop? Just have to use crops within the 18 mile exclusion zone. Maybe they are planning on larger, much larger exclusion zones in the future.:o

They do. Ukraine produces at least two brands of vodka, several wines and beers and, of course, kvass.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Ukrainian security forces confiscated the АТОМІК vodka for alleged tax stamp violations. Strangely the security forces are reported to have set off Geiger counters at airports around the country.

3 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

From the article Bob posted:

The liquor was intended mainly as a way of drawing attention to the scientists' real work in the Exclusion Zone, where they have spent years studying how the landscape around Chernobyl has recovered following the disaster.

Smith and Gennadiy Laptev, a scientist from Ukraine’s Hydrometeorological Institute who also took part in the cleanup of the disaster, believe their studies show contamination in the outer ring is so weak that restrictions on farming no longer make sense.

23 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

I question weather the Russians themselves even know what happened there to cause that meltdown.

Cat Brules

I think the name of the experiment they were running was titled "How Much Can We Screw It Up Before It Blows". 

I think they found that out, LOL.

Deactivating a number of safety systems, allowing the reactor to contunue to run at 7% they kept withdrawing control rods until something went bigbadaBOOM and blew the dang thing up. I suppose it could have been a steam explosion or perhaps, enough of the fuel rods melted and collected at the bottom to form a sorta-critical mass and POOF!

The pictures and videos of the "elephant's Foot" which is what remains of the reactor melted in the basement and the associated videos of the damage to the facility and area are quite....startling.

7 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

It was an experiment. Nothing to worry about. ;)

Archived