SASS Wire Forum

Transfer Safety Bar

The transfer bar lever sheared off this afternoon at the range in my Traditions Heritage series Pietta.

I bought it used last year from the LGS. While I did just email Tradtions, how does this sort of thing usually play out with them?

On 5/15/2021 at 12:06 AM, Whiskey Hicks said:

The transfer bar lever sheared off this afternoon at the range in my Traditions Heritage series Pietta.

I bought it used last year from the LGS. While I did just email Tradtions, how does this sort of thing usually play out with them?

Traditions and Heritage are not very responsive when dealing with this common problem.   The original transfer bars in these Piettas were fragile.  That has been fixed by Pietta and they are now using the same steel that Ruger does for theirs.  You might get better service by speaking to the folks at EMF (Pietta USA).  They may mail you a new one.  It's a simple fix.

And if the part has to come from Italy, it may take a while, COVID hit Italy pretty hard.  I have an order outstanding from VTI since the beginning of November for some hardened Uberti screws

The hardened screws for Uberti's come in two Flavours Hardened Italian ones and  USA made ones , or at least they used to ...

I bought the Made in US ones and at that time they shipped next day ...

Jabez Cowboy

I was just able to order the transfer bar lever last night from EMF’s website for $25. Traditions emailed me back and said they couldn’t get the part and would charge me $65 without shipping just to service it.

Looks like I’m getting my part from EMF and shopping a gunsmith locally.

VTi part 689

https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=74&cat=Pietta+1873+Colt+GWII

EMF still looks like the best source.  FYI EMF is owned by Alessandro Pietta.  It is not part of Pietta Italy, Alessandro owns it in his own name.

P.S.  If you are going to do much shooting you need to learn how to take apart, clean and maintain the gun.  Installing the new transfer bar is not a hard job.

PPS.  If you want to make sure the T Bar never breaks again buy two.

I have transfer bars in all my Rugers and have never had a problem with them in 16 years of cowboy shooting.  I currently shoot Pietta's as main match guns and both pair have had their transfer bars removed by my cowboy gunsmith.  When he tuned them originally, he said they looked "frail" and advised me to take them out. 

Archived