SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894

Lucky Bastard

16 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Love my Marlin 1894 in .44 mag bought for $325 in 2005 from Big 5 in one of those rifle specials they used to have. Flawless over the years.

I tied to buy some of those from Big Five back in 2003 for $275. 

And I tried several stores in NV & AZ.

But they would not sell me any because I was an FFL.  Store policy, I was told.

They were in .357, .44, .45 and had Micro-groove and uncheckered "hardwood" furniture, which would have been just fine with me.

Mustang Gregg

Wild West Arms

Exactly, they were made by Marlin in 'hardwood' (maybe Sycamore), made for Big 5, which, I assume was part of special low-cost volume orders from Big 5. The wood is nicely stained and is fine. Plain, non checkered.

Your post reminds me that back then, 15 years ago now, there was some annoyance here by some pards that Big 5 would not ship. Big 5 was in 10 Western states, but wouldn't sell outside of in-store customers. But this was part of the reason the rifles had such a good price; very low administrative costs. You went in, you bought the rifle, no options or upgrades, etc.

22 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Exactly, they were made by Marlin in 'hardwood' (maybe Sycamore), made for Big 5, which, I assume was part of special low-cost volume orders from Big 5. The wood is nicely stained and is fine. Plain, non checkered.

Your post reminds me that back then, 15 years ago now, there was some annoyance here by some pards that Big 5 would not ship. Big 5 was in 10 Western states, but wouldn't sell outside of in-store customers. But this was part of the reason the rifles had such a good price; very low administrative costs. You went in, you bought the rifle, no options or upgrades, etc.

I was on a trip home from a Tucson TDY with a few days of leave to burn.

We stopped at several of their stores prepared to purchase from 1 to 10+ of the 1894 rifles at their asking retail price and sales tax.

I had my FFL, cash, etc.  Not a single one would sell to me.

Are they still like this?

3 hours ago, Mustang Gregg said:

Are they still like this?

I haven't seen a centerfire rifle deal from Big 5 in a long time. They do often have good shotgun and .22 deals. Or at least they did; I stopped seeing their frequent newspaper insert ads during Covid, and a couple of ammo searches over the last year showed me pretty bare long guns shelves. I wonder where they're at with firearms now.

A couple or three years after the 1894 they had Mossberg 474 .30-30s at a low sale price and I bought one. It has given good service, too. I've bought two Ruger 10/22s at their very good low-price sales.

I'm sure their policy has remained the same: in-store, ordinary retail customers only.

On 5/20/2021 at 6:12 PM, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I haven't seen a centerfire rifle deal from Big 5 in a long time. They do often have good shotgun and .22 deals. Or at least they did; I stopped seeing their frequent newspaper insert ads during Covid, and a couple of ammo searches over the last year showed me pretty bare long guns shelves. I wonder where they're at with firearms now.

A couple or three years after the 1894 they had Mossberg 474 .30-30s at a low sale price and I bought one. It has given good service, too. I've bought two Ruger 10/22s at their very good low-price sales.

I'm sure their policy has remained the same: in-store, ordinary retail customers only.

One thing I guess that I neglected to say was that I tried to buy those rifles as a normal retail customer first.

But they didn't want to sell it to anyone who was from out of state even with proper ID concealed carry and background checked.

At that point I brought up the FFL.

Mustang

If I sell you a pair of shoes, am I supposed to assume you don't know how to tie them and I should show you how? If I sell you a car, am I supposed to assume you can't drive and teach you to drive? 

If I sell my gun company to your gun company, would it be my responsibility to teach you to make guns that are no longer mine, convey all the hick-ups and nuances of hand fitting and finishing rifles of a style you have never made before and convince my former employees to move from my liberal paradise to your liberal paradise and hold your hand til you get up to speed and make your first million?

Remington simply failed to look into this clearly and objectively and bargained for the wrong deal. A simple tour and thorough examination of production procedures pre-purchase, maybe actually talk to folks that do the work and got them to explain their craft, would have made some revelations. Perhaps Remington did, but maybe some knuckleheads saw only dollar signs and convinced themselves and others they could modernize and speed up the process.

But I only know the lies I read and hear on the internet. 

7 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

If I sell you a pair of shoes, am I supposed to assume you don't know how to tie them and I should show you how? If I sell you a car, am I supposed to assume you can't drive and teach you to drive? 

If I sell my gun company to your gun company, would it be my responsibility to teach you to make guns that are no longer mine, convey all the hick-ups and nuances of hand fitting and finishing rifles of a style you have never made before and convince my former employees to move from my liberal paradise to your liberal paradise and hold your hand til you get up to speed and make your first million?

Remington simply failed to look into this clearly and objectively and bargained for the wrong deal. A simple tour and thorough examination of production procedures pre-purchase, maybe actually talk to folks that do the work and got them to explain their craft, would have made some revelations. Perhaps Remington did, but maybe some knuckleheads saw only dollar signs and convinced themselves and others they could modernize and speed up the process.

But I only know the lies I read and hear on the internet. 

Really??

And you were there...going through the books...interviewing the production managers...etc, etc...???

Also, your analogies are a bit faulty. Purchase expectations differ depending on the seller's level of expertise...but...you probably know that...right?

And why on earth regurgitate info. that is obtained solely on the internet?

Phantom

On 5/14/2021 at 11:35 PM, Bigmcgiv said:

Well I pulled the trigger on this. Need to know all the tricks on the 1894. I'm going to figure trigger. Which one it's the best . I saw 4 differ ones. Springs which ones saw 3 different setups. 1 peice firing pin. And a stainless carrier to eliminate marlin jam.

Screenshot_20210514-210459_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ok guys I think we ventured way down  the rabbit hole here. I was mostly  looking for advice on aftermarket products  to correct  issues.  Not to dig up who fault it was in quality issues. Thanks  guys  I appreciate  the info. I have made my choices.  An plan on having  it finished this weekend.  Thanks

A good friend of mine bought a Remlin 1894CS through gunbroker 2 or so years ago.  Out of the box it was OK, wasn't smooth at all, but it did function.  Outside finish was utilitarian but no blemishes.  There was a helluva sharp edge inside the receiver that was like a razor, but that was the worst we saw.

We did the usual workover on it - one piece firing pin, lighter mainspring, adjusted the lever safety spring, polished the bolt/ejector/lever/hammer, rounded the end of the trigger, shortened the magazine spring, SS mag follower, etc.  Nothing unusual.  A couple of evenings work & about $75 in parts turned it into a nice little gun - smooth & reliable.  Maybe he was lucky & got a good one.

Holler

17 minutes ago, Hollifer A. Dollar said:

A good friend of mine bought a Remlin 1894CS through gunbroker 2 or so years ago.  Out of the box it was OK, wasn't smooth at all, but it did function.  Outside finish was utilitarian but no blemishes.  There was a helluva sharp edge inside the receiver that was like a razor, but that was the worst we saw.

We did the usual workover on it - one piece firing pin, lighter mainspring, adjusted the lever safety spring, polished the bolt/ejector/lever/hammer, rounded the end of the trigger, shortened the magazine spring, SS mag follower, etc.  Nothing unusual.  A couple of evenings work & about $75 in parts turned it into a nice little gun - smooth & reliable.  Maybe he was lucky & got a good one.

Holler

I'm in the process of doing it. Yes alot of sharp edges. 

Get in touch with @Slater of @Slater's In House Guns.  He might be able

to help you.  He worked on my Marlin (granted a JM) and did an outstanding job ... if I were gonna get some work done on a Marlin, I’d at least have a conversation with Slater.

Good luck!

Big hugs,

Scarlett

8 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Get in touch with @Slater of @Slater's In House Guns.  He might be able

to help you.  He worked on my Marlin (granted a JM) and did an outstanding job ... if I were gonna get some work done on a Marlin, I’d at least have a conversation with Slater.

Good luck!

Big hugs,

Scarlett

I agree.

Slater has learned the Marlin.... AND the Henry .22, very well and is doing a great job

working on them.

I might also add that his trigger work is legendary to those who have them worked on.

He is very meticulous in his work.

..........Widder

Archived