SASS Wire Forum

High Eye Pressure Meds

Howdy,

Just checking to see what you all have for eye meds for high pressure/pre glaucoma.

I have been on Latanaprost and the doctor had me also on dorzolamide.  Over time I had an allergy to the latter and now the doctor is prescribing alphagan 0.1%.

I just about laid an egg when I discovered the cost per year is 0ver $1,700.00.  That is the price with discount from Medicare supplement.

Good RX isn't cheaper and the generic is about that same price.

My eye pressure is at 23 right now and they want it down to 18.

Anybody on an effective lower cost alternative?

I had open heart surgery last year and none of my meds are even close to that!

They put the wife on a pill, cost was around a hundred per month.  She was all for it until she realized she would have to pay for it so she talked to the Pharmacist.   She could get the same thing OTC for a whole lot less.  She then asked her Doctor to rewrite the prescription for the OTC, Doctor did and she's happier. 

The VA skipped the pills and drops and went straight to laser surgery on me.  Bored a hole in each eye with a laser to give the fluid someplace to drain.  Painful, but got the pressure down, I’ll find out in 6 months if it worked

Thanks for the responses - I was just venting, I guess.

They tried the laser thing and my pressure actually went up instead of down - maybe I'm complicated.

I do like the veterinarian idea though.

It would also be a good idea to contact your insurance company. Many times they'll have a preferred product that they pay better on (they probably get a kick back from the drug company). Sometimes they display when the pharmacy fills it, sometimes not. Worth a try. Could also be a deductible. My wife's part D supplement hasn't paid a red cent this year. Sure aggravating to pay thru the nose for insurance then they don't pay. I'm a pharmacist, we fight with stuff like that all day. Good Rx is basically a scam that screws the pharmacy. The big outfits can absorb it to get you in the store. I work for a small town independent and we don't take any of those scam "discount" cards. Sometimes you can go online and get coupons from the manufacturer, if you can find one they can save you a PILE!

JHC

17 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

They put the wife on a pill, cost was around a hundred per month.  She was all for it until she realized she would have to pay for it so she talked to the Pharmacist.   She could get the same thing OTC for a whole lot less.  She then asked her Doctor to rewrite the prescription for the OTC, Doctor did and she's happier. 

I'm curious, what was that?

JHC

So an update here:

I had been in contact with the doctor's office all during this time to figure out a less expensive alternative for a medication.

They came up with Timolol which my medicare supplement likes as my out of pocket expense is $9/3 months of drops.

Compare that to the alphagan which would cost me $1700.00 per year.

I spoke to the pharmacist and he said the difference is the more expensive med contains no preservative which apparently can cause an allergic reaction in some folks.  Hopefully I can tolerate this one.

Take care

This sparked a memory:

Back in the 1970's my dear Aunt Bea was diagnosed with glaucoma.  I don't recall what treatment she ultimately had, but I do recall the lively  discussion in the family when she said her doctor had recommended she take up smoking weed.

Huh?

So I just googled it, and sure 'nuff ~ that was one of the earlier recognized applications for medical marijuana.  :lol:      Link

Now, I ain't recommending this, but it's at least good for a chuckle.  I have this mental image of my dear-but-skinny Aunt Bea with a serious case of the munchies.  ^_^

I'm on Lumagan(SP?). Not happy about the cost on it,either. $42 for a little less than one month supply of drops. Gets kinda pricey on a fixed income. Not as bad as what UB's wife is experiencing, but distressing anyway.:blush:

Archived