SASS Wire Forum

Feel it in the air?

Raylan

Question for members, please no politics, Does anyone else feel as the economic reporter shills would say - an Economic Contraction - in the air. Seems like inflation has come back with a vengence with an inflated money supply and massive deficit spending. People aren't willing to return to work (how do they do that, I've worked one or two jobs since Junior High), tons of empty office space and unpaid rents, shortages in industry after industry of basic goods and materials to manufacture goods, increasing energy costs across the board, and an influx of cheap labor that with inflation will undercut recent gains in wages, and industry starting to relocate in other countries and/or not build new plants here. 

All in all starting to get a feeling around people that the future isn't very bright economically. Are my instincts wrong on this one?

Nope.  Unfortunately, your instincts are not off base.

I listened to a radio discussion on this very thing about three hours ago.  'Tain't looking promising.

:(

You’re pretty much right on! Prices are rising as we speak!

I am not a fan of social media or instantaneous “breaking news”, but at least we do get to learn about governmental mismanagement more quickly.  150 years ago it might take weeks or months for news to circulate through the citizenry, today it’s less than 24 hours.

The bad side of this is, we (those of us not pulling the strings in government) are mostly powerless to make an equally fast response and corrections. Hence frustration.  Hence demonstrations, etc.

Keeping folks up to date on events of the day simply turns up the heat on the pressure cooker without any way to release the pressure.

I think we will be bartering more in the next couple of years.  I hope Mr. Devane gets his money’s worth out of all those gold coins!  :)

Ben Carson has a current article about the coming inflation.
Scary stuff for those who remember it in the 70s.
Get out of debt, and batten down the hatches... prices are going up.

We are pretty much debt free...have mortgage and utilities.

We have not felt a pinch for many years...

I do recall the 70's and the folks did not feel the pinch as much either, as they lived and raised us on a level field.

I do believe we will see prices go high, as greed takes over and the blame will be put on Covid related (or past government)...

But I have faith that God will provide our needs as he has always done...and we will fine.

The more the government or politicians try to tell you something, the reality is typically the opposite....There is no inflation here, it’s just a temporary increase and will go back down, nothing to see here....that’s when you know to worry.   

9 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I'm not spending on anything. When things get sane again in a little less than four years I will.

I’m adopting that plan after tomorrow’s gun show.

:ph34r:

4 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I’m adopting that plan after tomorrow’s gun show.

:ph34r:

I'm going shopping tomorrow myownself.  I found a shop about an hour's drive from here that has two or three classic style .22 bolt-action target rifles.  :)

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I'm going shopping tomorrow myownself.  I found a shop about an hour's drive from here that has two or three classic style .22 bolt-action target rifles.  :)

52D?

40X?

Anschutz?

I have the opportunity to examine a S&W 27-2, nickel finish.  Kinda excited!  

Sorry, did not intend to hijack the thread.

26 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

52D?

40X?

Anschutz?

I have the opportunity to examine a S&W 27-2, nickel finish.  Kinda excited!  

Sorry, did not intend to hijack the thread.

I wish!  ^_^  My dream .22 is the 52D.  :blush:

I've called every shop I could within a 200 mile radius; one shop has a Winchester 75 that would be about a grand out-the-door.  Another shop - the one I plan on visiting tomorrow - has a Kimber 82G and a Remington 540X.  

Choices are limited by a) scarcity, b) budget (retired comfortably, but not extravagantly), and c) geography ~ "Importing" a firearm from another state into California can add a bundle to the price.  It's  absurd - a friend was visiting a couple years ago and wanted to sell me a gun I wanted to buy - could not do it.  Since he was from out-of-state, we could not even do a sale through an FFL; they required that it be shipped from an FFL in his home state, even though he and the firearm were right here.

Hop on a plane to America.  You could be in Springfield in a few hours.  Our guest bedroom is available.  2 day gunshow begins Saturday at 9AM.  I bet you could find one to tickle your fancy.

:ph34r:  I operate a retail business which depends on merchandise from overseas and domestic sources.  Everything is in flux right now.  Deliveries are slow, or 60% to 70% of goods arriving for each order.  Many source companies have folded or are unable to get a full (or any) workforce to operate anywhere near functionality.  Staple items for summer season are "maybe available August or September".  I won't need them then, I need them NOW.  Preseason orders are often cancelled due to inability of manufacturers to get needed materials --"So sorry--maybe next year".

Doesn't matter if the company is domestic or an importer.  Imports are "on the water", meaning in a container ship waiting for a chance to unload due to dockworker/trucker shortages, or they're hung up in Customs, due to overwhelming backlog.

Food will rise sharply....get ready.  Thank goodness I never went into the restaurant business.  They have few willing to work at this point.

We are about to experience Jimmy Carter 2.0.  The O.P. has it right.

Saw a Macdonald’s today with a help wanted sign in the window with a starting wage of $17.00 hr. The more stimulus checks that go out the fewer workers there are.

That which you pay for, you tend to get more of.  Columnist George Will made the observation about welfare in general and unwed mothers in particular.  Lousy English, but broadly true nonetheless.

If one takes a look at inflation over the years, there is one common thread:  prices never, ever go back down.
Every time the gov't increases M1, there are more dollars in circulation to purchase the same level of goods and services.

For example, your LGS has a case of primers that are 2 years old.
They were purchased at a much lower price than today.

The LGS can give them away or jack up prices to match everybody else.. his choice.
However, the replacement primers will cost him FAR more than those 2 year old ones.
His prices on primers will never, ever go back down to pre-inflationary prices.
Just like gasoline will never go back to $0.17 per gallon that I saw as a kid.

My take: if you need something today, and pay cash for it, buy it today.
Tomorrow, and ever after, it will be more expensive.
Just like Marlins used to be under $200, way back when...

Great excuse to buy guns now before they go up more, and they will hold value :)  honey it just makes financial sense to invest in more of them right now, can’t you see I’m doing this for us?  

Well, the Dow is up. Why is everyone worried…the people that control the stock markets always look out for this country’s best interests, do they not?

Our government does everything to keep the markets going so that they can report how wonderful everything is, right?

And we have the people in power that have always looked out for “the people”, just ask them. Hell, judges and law enforcement looked the other way so we could have the government that we needed to watch out for us, right?

Hell, if the stock market can flourish in a pandemic then that means we are all going to be just fine…

He said sarcastically…

@bgavin when gas was .17 cents per our money had silver in it. At today's price in silver money a quarter is worth $6.37 in fiat paper. That's 2 gallons o gas around here. 

Post WWII you could buy surplus 1911 at the hardware store for $45. If I figure $27.5 (current silver price)x .07235 ( amount of silver in pre '64 coins) = $25.51. So 45x25.51= $1147.95. That iss still a decent 1911. 

So I figure the problem ain't with the goods getting expensiver its our money getting worthlesser

Weimar Republic here we come! 

I worry that it's almost been a hundred years since WWII. it has been since WWI and all these folks think war is the rockpile or sandbox.

Indeed.
Eventually, the Deutschmark became so worthless, they only printed them on one side to save ink costs.
Instead of counting the denominations, they weighed them or used them for kindling.

image.money.09.inflation.germany.360.jpg

image.money.11.inflation.germany.360.jpg

Archived