SASS Wire Forum

THSS match Sunday May 16th-new shooter

Johnny Knight

Morning all,

Looking to make it out to the Texas Historical Shootist Society monthly match on Sunday the 16th.  Since this will be my first CAS event in about 35 years, I thought I would ask if anyone else was planning on being out there to meet some folks face to face.  Everyone has been quite friendly and helpful on this forum as I've been trying to get gear together, but still had a few questions on the logistics.  Any recommendations on how many rounds I should be prepared to shoot?  Is there a chance to get familiar with the range before the matches start?  Just trying to get the lay of the land so I don't hold things up.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Johnny

Meant to ask also, will it be okay to shoot a pair of Ruger Blackhawks for the day?  I'm in the process of deciding which Vaquero's I want to go with, and then track down, but I've already got a Blackhawk in 45 Colt and 44 Magnum.  Thanks in advance.

Most clubs shoot six stages which will require 60 revolver, 60 rifle, and 4 plus shotgun per match.

Many shooters use the Ruger Blackhawk as their main match firearm of choice.

Welcome to the madness.

I won’t make it to THSS this month, but they are a great bunch of guys. They have a total of 10 stages. The prairie end is pretty open, the town end has lots of buildings. They typically shoot 5 stages, one end or the other. 

as Lone Rider said 10-10-4 / stage is a pretty good rule of thumb. I usually bring enough ammo to shoot the match twice. 

your Blackhawks are fine. Lots of folks shoot them 

welcome to the fun! 

Just looked through the ammo supplies, seems I have a box or two of jacketed 44 magnum, but no lighter loaded 44's.  I'm good on 45 Colt and will be loading up some more.  Given the shortage of local supplies for ammo, any chance I might find someone willing to do a little horsetrading of 45 colt for some cowboy load 44 on Sunday?  Obviously, going forward I'll make sure I have plenty of ammo on hand, just checking to see if this is something folks are interested in?  Also, I don't want to break any customs regarding ammo, since some folks are very particular about such things.  FWIW, for the 45 Colt, I've been loading up 200 grain Hy-Tek coated lead with 5.4 grains of Titegroup, but will do my next loads with only 4.5 grains based on recommendations I've had from other folks on the Wire, since that should shoot a little softer, but well within the ranges allowed.  Thanks in advance.

I assume you reload based on your ammo descriptions. If you have any all lead .429-.430 bullets, pull the jacketed bullets, add a mild load  (Hodgedon says 4.5 to 5.4 behind a 200 gr rnfp in ,44sp) of Titegroup and lead bullets.

You will only need 25-30. One pistol times 6 stages is 30. The prohibition on jacketed ammo is a safety issue and as most Jacketed is much higher velocity a target saving issue. Good luck and welcome to the game. Now go get yourself a good hat.

Imis   If I was closer I would give you some bullets

Thanks Imis,

I appreciate the offer.  I do reload, I just didn't check my supplies soon enough.  I just got in supplies to load up a 1000 rounds of 45 Colt and have already knocked out a couple hundred, but I never really shot the .44.  It was a gun I inherited from my brother, so I hadn't stocked up on supplies for it.  I have the die set and would pull the jacketed bullets, but I don't have any .44 lead on hand.  I just ordered up 500 rounds, but they won't get here till next week.  Checking all my local places, but have come up empty on anyone having any plain or coated lead in stock.  Tried running the traps before asking here, since I try to take care of things in house.  I do have the hat covered though, a Stetson I've had for awhile :) (though I lost it while trying mounted shooting last week, might need to add the stampede string for that)

Hat.jpg.469fc9699b53a9bea931c3ef6b859f67.jpg

Contact Mulehead or Pepper at THSS. Let them know what you are lacking and I'll bet they can help you out either with some ammo or possibly a loaner 45 Colt pistol. Folks at THSS are ones to ride the range with and will take care of you.

I'll PM you Pepper's email address.

Thanks for the information!  I'm sure something will sort out.  I've got bullets and brass on order, so by the next match I'll be all stocked up in the .44 to go along with more 45 colt.

On a side note the Thunder River Renegades are shooting Sat, May 22

We're just north of Magnolia, across from the Texas Renaissance Festival

https://thunderriverrenegades.com/#

If you're interested we are shooting 5 stages and having a Swap Meeting and hot dog lunch afterwards.  Might be a good place to find 'stuff'

PM me and I can answer questions and share ideas

cheyenne

Thanks Cheyenne,

I would love to make it next weekend except I'm hosting a get together at my place in Bellville.  Since I'm expecting a dozen or two folks coming out, it would be poor form for me to play hooky on them.  I'll take a look at your event schedule and make it up your way.  Does the swap meeting occur at every practice, or is that an occasional thing?

Johnny

Wanted to give a shout out to Pepper, Mulehead and everyone else out at THSS.  Not only did they help me source some .44 ammo to be able to shoot for the day, but everyone there was quite welcoming and encouraging as I tried my hand at my first CAS event.  While it's clear I'll need a good deal more practice, I had a blast.  Thanks again everyone for such a friendly and helpful group.

Archived