SASS Wire Forum

Old eyes & black powder frame

portugeejn

It has come time for me to admit I just can’t see the sights as well as I used to…

I really like the look of the black powder frame, but am finding it really hard to align the sights in that “V” notch that they all seem to have.

Since I don’t have an issue (yet) with the square rear sight cut in the top strap, does anyone know a smith that can mill the square notch into a “V” notch single action top strap?  (Or do it yourself fixes?)

Thanks.  

Portugee John

Plenty of 'smiths with a mill can do it.  With the right type of files (including smooth on side) you can do it.  A 'smith can also replace the tapered blade front sight with a wider one if you want.

Bill Fuchs at Spring Creek Armory specializes in single actions and metal work.  He's not far off the Bozeman Trail at Ten Sleep Wyoming. 

https://springcreekarmory.com/

He rebuilt the front sight on my Colt first generation.  That had been filed down to about half height.  

1865159359_StimulusColt38WCFBApril2020.jpg.7966e93e7f45dba20547464890717a04.jpg296169074_StimulusColtSAAin38WCFFeb2021.jpg.f1169103bb9ed78632eb461c50d88b74.jpg

I wear glasses and found that an increase in magnification does wonders. I believe I have a +2 added to my prescription, plus with a new prescription, this is as good as it will get for me. This might be an option if you haven't considered it.

If I want more, I can switch to my Blackhawks which have really big sights. 

9 hours ago, portugeejn said:

It has come time for me to admit I just can’t see the sights as well as I used to…

I really like the look of the black powder frame, but am finding it really hard to align the sights in that “V” notch that they all seem to have.

Since I don’t have an issue (yet) with the square rear sight cut in the top strap, does anyone know a smith that can mill the square notch into a “V” notch single action top strap?  (Or do it yourself fixes?)

Thanks.  

Portugee John

I got trifocals with the last prescription with the center section set for shooting. It works wonderfully.

Lots of cute answers for ya...if you want to see your sights better, get a brass wrap or replace with a wider brass front sight. Then mill the rear.

If you don't mill the rear, you won't be able to see that nice new big front sight...

Phantom

I about fell out of my chair when I first saw the high price of those Brass wraps for the revolver Front sights. I refused to pay that much for such a simple little piece of folded metal. After several failed attempts to copy them I finally bit the bullet and bought a set. Well, it turned out to be some of the best money that I have ever spent on accessories. It made such a difference that I bought a set for my  wife, and for my backup guns. I've seen a few guys make their own, but none of them were as nice as the one's I bought. The closest I came was using some Brass channel that I found at Hobby Lobby. It worked, but was as ugly as a Mud Fence.

Snakebite

Archived