SASS Wire Forum

Drop 45... and go!

I am needing to drop 45lbs!

I see it more and more in recent photos...I feel it in my bones, my veins...

I see it in my face and in my scales!!!

My hypertention is back.. 

So, question is, have any of you had luck in dropping 40-45lbs, and what did you do?

I know I need to MOVE more and EAT less...

Women tend to have a tougher time losing...moreso at the 58yr mark!!!

Darn snake...darn apple!!!

What I did was eat once a day at 2:00 pm.  That way I was not all that hungry for breakfast or dinner.  I called it linner for lunch and dinner.  After a while I felt great.  Sitting home from covid and having nothing to do but eat I picked up about 15 pounds.  Trying to get back on routine.

Cut simple carbs - eat complex carbs

Eat fresh fruit & vegetables (not at the same time)

Go for walks

One evening a week treat yourself.

17 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Cut simple carbs - eat complex carbs

Eat fresh fruit & vegetables (not at the same time)

Go for walks

One evening a week treat yourself.

Very good advice!  :lol:

I used myfitnesspal.com. Tracks your calories, exercise etc. worked for me. 172 to 143.

I would suggest some sort of weight training as well to maintain muscle mass.  Clean eating.  Walks or cardio.  

Apple Watch or a similar device can encourage you....scales that communicate with your phone and track your progress may encourage you....

could spend no money or lots of money, depends how self motivated you are.  

set realistic lead and lag goals.  If you want to lose 40 pounds that’s a lag goal.  What daily 1-3 things can you say you need to do each day that you can measure and obtain that if done will lead to your lag goal?  Example...1.  Walk 3 miles daily or workout etc.  2.  Count calories and keep under 1,200. 3.  Whatever else...

keep goals you can measure...if the goals are right doing them daily should lead to your lag goal

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I am needing to drop 45lbs!

I see it more and more in recent photos...I feel it in my bones, my veins...

I see it in my face and in my scales!!!

My hypertention is back.. 

So, question is, have any of you had luck in dropping 40-45lbs, and what did you do?

I know I need to MOVE more and EAT less...

Women tend to have a tougher time losing...moreso at the 58yr mark!!!

Darn snake...darn apple!!!

After I lost my wife I went from 273 to 213.  I still eat the same things I did, I just cut back on portion sizes and don't as much "white" as I did before.  Less of the time, less volume.  I'm talking about bread and pastries, milk and ice cream mostly, add smaller portions less often on things like corn products, no margarine at all, but real butter.  I try to avoid any artificial sugar substitutes, but use real sugar, one carbonated drink a day (used to go through  a six pack a day), and I snack on nuts and dried fruits instead of chips, dips, candies, and the like.

I also started eating more fresh or frozen fruits, but still shun dark green leafy vegetables.  About all I eat that is green are peas, pickles, ice berg lettuce (only about once a week), an avacado a month if I can find a good one and asparagus about as often.

I'm going to start working on dropping another 25 pounds and if the medicos get my feet and legs working again I'l start walking again.  Was up to six miles a day before the bunions got me.

I eat almost nothing after 7:00pm and drink lots of water and clear juices.

It relly isn't all that hard except one in a while....like yesterday....I'll go nuts and cook something that is about as useful as sand but tastes just great.  Yesterday it was red beans and rice.

Here's some ideas that worked for me.

1) Reduce portions

it's better to eat five small meals rather than skip meals, skipping meals switches your metabolism into starvation mode, which turns more of your intake into fat.

2) Stop eating before you feel full.

It takes @20 mins for your stomach to tell your brain your full.

Try taking a break in the middle of your meal, then after 10 min or so decide if you need to continue.

3) Chew your food thoroughly, until you swallow it without even knowing.

4) Drink plenty of water. You can actually lose weight by just increasing you h2o intake.

And of course excersise but don't over do it. Briskly Walking 25-30  minutes will do. Set goals and Work up to them, then set new ones.

5) Don't eat just because it's 12 noon or 5 pm ONLY EAT WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY. We all have been programmed to eat just because it's a certain time of day.Think of food as fuel for you body.

6) And don't be a slave to the scale. Don't even weigh yourself for a couple weeks. 

Some see a little increase, get depressed and eat. Avoid this cycle.

Good Luck Sis ! You can do it!

And you'll feel much better.

DO NOT eat anything before bedtime. Body cannot rest properly and adequately while trying to process food.

The best luck I've ever had losing weight was not eating carbs and not eating after 5:30pm. Go to bed a tad hungry.

The first week is difficult but if you stick with it, it all becomes much easier and most importantly,  doable.

Walk for excercise.

Portions are probably one of, if not the, biggest contributor to obesity in the USA.

Proper diet is necessary.

But, proper diet without proper exercise is not going to get you results.  A mixture of weights and cardio is what I was doing being I went overseas (now I need to get back into it).

Simple carbs (breads especially) are something I think we Americans eat without thinking about.  Maybe beer and sodas, too.

Find a healthy snack to get you between meals.  I keep a can of mixed nuts at work.

You may also need to make an appointment with your doctor to ensure you bloodwork is good before and while losing the weight.

I don't like to "diet".  It's a lifestyle change.  You will need support from friends and family to start and then maintain.

Good luck!

8 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Cut carbs.  ;)

This is the easiest way, I lost 25 lbs on a low carb diet. The problem is staying on it. I've gained back 15 already!:o

Cut out alcohol and soda.

If it's white, don't bite.

Portion control.

Cut out/down carbs.

Eat at home.

No eating after dinner.

Drink extra glass of water twice/day.

Check out calorie counts on various meals at a restaurant. It's shocking what some of them are for even a chicken sandwich or other entre.

This is my advice, however, I don't follow it myself. :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Leave all those snacks and drinks at store. If you don’t bring them home, they aren’t there to tempt you. 

Right?

With kids and grandbabies here, it is a struggle!

2 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Portions are probably one of, if not the, biggest contributor to obesity in the USA.

Proper diet is necessary.

But, proper diet without proper exercise is not going to get you results.  A mixture of weights and cardio is what I was doing being I went overseas (now I need to get back into it).

Simple carbs (breads especially) are something I think we Americans eat without thinking about.  Maybe beer and sodas, too.

Find a healthy snack to get you between meals.  I keep a can of mixed nuts at work.

You may also need to make an appointment with your doctor to ensure you bloodwork is good before and while losing the weight.

I don't like to "diet".  It's a lifestyle change.  You will need support from friends and family to start and then maintain.

Good luck!

Thanks.

Most of everything I an reading from you all is life changes.

And I did lose more weight by not eating bread, drinking sodas...ect.

I don't want to 'diet' but do want to get my diet healthy.

52 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Right?

With kids and grandbabies here, it is a struggle!

They don't need them either. Good habits start early. If you must, get just enough so there's nothing left over for you. Also, Applesauce (without the sugar), and Halo oranges went down well at our house. Once they realized there weren't any cookies, granola bars et al to be had, they were ok with it.

10 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

They don't need them either. Good habits start early. If you must, get just enough so there's nothing left over for you. Also, Applesauce (without the sugar), and Halo oranges went down well at our house. Once they realized there weren't any cookies, granola bars et al to be had, they were ok with it.

I agree with you...their parents buy the junk food.

The grands are active, and don't ask for the junk very often.

They thrive on apples and oranges!

Good luck, portion control is huge. 

I have dropped 72 so far total from my biggest (30 or so in the last year), but I would not suggest my method.  Develop type 2 diabetes, get to then point that multiple pills no longer do any good and get put on one of the weekly injectables they advertise on the TV.  Aside from actually working to regulate and lower my blood sugar, it has a side effect of helping lose weight.

I know for a fact that catching covid-19 will be good for 15-20 lb. weight loss, maybe more. Had absolutely no appetite or desire for food for about 3-4 weeks.

1 hour ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Good luck, portion control is huge. 

I have dropped 72 so far total from my biggest (30 or so in the last year), but I would not suggest my method.  Develop type 2 diabetes, get to then point that multiple pills no longer do any good and get put on one of the weekly injectables they advertise on the TV.  Aside from actually working to regulate and lower my blood sugar, it has a side effect of helping lose weight.

Prayers

For every pound you want lose per week, cut out 500 calories. 3500 calories is one pound.
If you weigh 150 multiply that by 15 and that’s what you can have daily to stay the same. 2250 calories to stay the same. This is an old diet that’s been around forever! Try it!

I'm a labile diabetic.
This is the new buzzword that replaces "brittle".
In short, smelling a donut runs my sugar up.

For me, I found if I can hunt it down and kill it, or pick it up and eat it.. I'm good.
If I have to dig it up or cultivate it, it is not good.

Broccoli, cauliflower and others that go "crunch" work great for me.
Wheat, bread, potatoes, corn, yams, peas, beans.. not good for me.
Bacon, eggs, steaks, fish, prime rib... all work great for me.

I got water weighed to see how much lard I'm packing.
Strip down to the scanties and they put you in a nice warm tub with a 20 lb weight on your back to hold you under water.
Expel ALL the air from your lungs and hold it while under water.
They did this 3x with me to get an average.

The tech adjusts your water weight against what you weigh dry on the beam balance scale.
The difference is the amount of lard you are packing, because lard floats.

The tech then calculates the amount of calories your body needs to simply stay alive.
I need 1400 calories to do nothing more than sit on the couch, breath and let my heart pump.

If you eat less than this amount, your body eats itself.
Yes, you lose weight, but you are losing muscle mass as well.
Any calories over this amount have to be burned off or stored as lard.

If you keep an (honest) food diary, you will find where you can cut the junk.
Most folks eat FAR too many carbs... because they taste so good.

Popcorn is an entire food group in our house, but my blood sugar hates it.

Girlfriends younger sister called her Fatso .. so We went on a diet !

I lost 80 pounds that I really needed to lose 

alot more veggies . no chips , ice cream and soda 

more ice skating .. it was slow but good for both of us 

I.       Don't.       Understand.        

And I'm sorry. I can't keep to 160. I get there and then lose it again.

21 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I.       Don't.       Understand.        

And I'm sorry. I can't keep to 160. I get there and then lose it again.

I get that.

I am really good at about 170lbs...

Seems a lot, but for me it is a good weight.

I can get close to 190lbs...then float back up! Sigh.

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I get that.

I am really good at about 170lbs...

Seems a lot, but for me it is a good weight.

I can get close to 190lbs...then float back up! Sigh.

I'm just glad I'm not 130 anymore. Want to lose weight? Get a sucky stressful job. Works like a charm.

Eliminate carbs...such as: potatoes, corn, chips, breads, grains, desserts, dairy. If you have to drink milk, try to develop a taste for almond milk...NEVER soy milk!!!! If you have to drink cow's milk, or die, then drink whole milk...never skim, or 2 percent. Why? Because they remove the butter fat from whole milk to create skim milk, and 2%. That only leaves the milk sugar in skim milk, or 2%. If you want to gain weight, then do drink skim milk, or 2%. 

Eat protein, and meats high in omega 3 fatty acids, like: salmon, tuna, sardines. Eating meat is okay...well...other than buzzard, or skunk meat, that is!!!

Never buy, or eat, anything that says: "low fat", or "fat free". That is a bald faced lie that they circulated years ago. Fat doesn't make you fat. 

Do not worry about nitrates in your bacon. You get as much nitrates in celery as you do in bacon. In fact, your body manufactures nitrates all the time. 

Avoid using/cooking in any oils, other than: extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, or lard. Never use corn oil, wesson oil, crisco, vegetable oil, and never, never, never, ever, use canola oil. Never!!! And...never use anything that states it is "partially hydrogenated". Never eat anything that says it contains MSG's!!!!!

Fast a couple of times a week. Start out slowly, and work your way up. You will help yourself, if you fast, once in a while. 

No white/brown sugar, never any aspartame. If you read what aspartame does to you, you would use it as a target. It is worse, by far, than sugar. 

No gluten.

No G.M.O.'s.

No in-between meal snacks. 

Remember the old saying..."eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, supper like a pauper". 

Eat small amounts of walnuts, or pecans, if you are not allergic to nuts. Other nut varieties are too high in carbs. Remember, a peanut is NOT a nut. It is a legume. 

If you have to sweeten something, use either stevia, or monkfruit. Nothing else!!! (as per my wife's cancer doctor).  

I did this, and lost 66 pounds in a month and a half. I am now at 172 pounds. I went from a size 40 inch waist in jeans, to now a 34 inch, and the 34 inch is loose on me.  

Exercise may tone you up, but changing your diet/food plan, is what takes the weight off.

Fasting can speed this process up, but as I said before, just start slowly...perhaps just skipping breakfast, or supper once a week.

Remember...you will gain it all back, if you revert to your old ways of eating. It is the old, popular ways of eating, and the junk we consume, that got us in trouble in the first place. You have to re-think your diet, and permanently change the way you eat, and look at eating.  

There ya go.

Yer Ole Saddle Pal.

W.K. 

Hi Ho Silver....

Away!!!

Archived