SASS Wire Forum

Lighter hammer spring for a Miroku Winchester 73

Far as I know, no one makes a light Hammer spring for the Miroku 66 0r 73

The only way is to lighten the stock one.....

Which actually is really easy to do, IF you know how to do it.......

If you don't know what you're doing, it's even easier to ruin the spring.

As Abilene sez... a washer may help it some

Winchester does (or at least Did) have replacement springs in stock.... just give em a call.

They sent me a spare for free..... But that was early on, don't think they're doing that any longer

Abilene.... The main spring pushes instead of pulls on the Hammer.....

But I think a small washer would still have the same effect

Kid Rich's suggestion may help some, it's fairly common on Uberti's

But on a Miroku turning out the screw 1 1/2 turns may be too much and could cause the main spring to fall off the Hammer.

By playing with the settings of the Mounting and the Tension screws on the bottom Tang,

what you're in effect doing is changing the Angle of the spring....

Once you find the sweet spot it can lighten the feel of the Hammer.

But it can also cause a problem...

The 2 screws not properly torqued can easily get out of adjustment which can cause your rifle to start miss firing.

And that will usually happen right in the middle of a Stage and you wind up with a bunch of Misses.

You go back to your gun cart all grumpy and start fiddling with the 2 screws.....

Or get out your backup and send the gun back to your gunsmith telling him it wont shoot anymore

He puts a few drops of locktight on the screws sends it back to you until the same problem happens again......

Best thing is to put a properly tuned spring in the gun and use the two screws for what they were designed for.

The big one to hold the spring securely... The little one to increase the tension should that be necessary.

4 and 1/2 turns before the mainspring will fall off of the screw. We bought these when they first started coming on the market mine is a 44/40 and gets used frequently. I've never had the spring move or loosen.

kR

The Miroku is fairly easy to lighten up. If you take your time with a dremel turned fairly slow and work the sides of the spring slowly so and in shifts so to speak so it does not get hot you can make it the way it feels best for you. The only screw to loosen is the small one that puts more tension on the spring. You can adjust it also but do not ket it be loose cause will fall out. As far as springs also do the same with the carrier and lever springs. If you take your time you will have a great running rifle tuned the way you like.

Archived