SASS Wire Forum

New Cow Girl

Lady Di

Hi Everyone,

I am officially a brand new  less than 2 days  Cow Girl.   I am excited about the new sport but OMG is this expensive hobby like most.   I need  to gather up a ton of stuff.  I am worried about the leather rig and the cart and the guns and the clothes etc.   Not sure if anyone has any extra stuff like a the leather set up etc.  that they don't need anymore.  I am excited to get started in this hobby I'm not new to shooting or pistols  but finding ammo and may need to eventually reload  but would have to gear up for that as well.   

thanks everyone

Lady Di

Howdy and Welcome!

If you are looking to buy those items, list the sizes you need, or what kind of guns you're looking for and I'm sure folks will let you know what they have.

Before you buy anything go to a match. Try every firearm handed to you. They may look similar but they all fit and feel different.

Talk to the ladies that are shooting and get their advice.

I HIGHLY second what Sedalia Dave says.

Welcome to the fold,

Caladisi Kid  :)

Find Branchwater Jack's videos on Youtube, really good stuff.

Oh, welcome!

How familiar are you with firearm?

have you had any firearms safety training?

I agree.....Go onto You Tube and a uery, “Cowboy Action Shooting“.  Pay the most attention to the videos that offer some kind of information or training, and not just those that show others competing in match shooting.  All of the videos are helpful, since you see how others handle their weapons.  Watch the person acting as the Timer Operator.....See how he follows the shooter, while staying out of the way.

I hope you have a great time!

Welcome To CAS!!

Cat Brules

I too just started. You can spend a ton on leather but you don’t have to to get serviceable equipment. For a cart find a golf bag cart or cheap hand truck and then just bungee a bucket to it to start. Hard part is finding rounds I think. Had to hunt for a good rifle too. Fortunately I secured pistols pre covid. Thought shotgun was going to be scarce too but ended up with two on accident. Bout one then was gifted another at the same time. Anyway I know it’s hard but be patient and wait for the gear to come to you. 

Welcome "Lady Di" to the best game and folks goin.

If you decide to buy new leather, check out J-M leather. Johnny and his will wife are very helpful getting you set up. My wife worked them over the phone for her rig and is very happy.

http://www.jm-leather.com/index.htm

5ac7ed47e93f5_ElliePhantsHolster.thumb.jpg.a9e38690cb4d450d1706c6ea3c92c1c8.jpg

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

Goody

i already have a pistol permit for many years and have taken NRA classes  and married to a retired Army Special Forces Captain and a NRA  instructor and safety.  Range officer as well Yes  very hard State. 
but I feel extremely thankful there are 2 wonderful clubs near me with some great people.  

Just getting  started is expensive.  
thanks 

Lady Di

8 minutes ago, Lady Di said:

Goody

i already have a pistol permit for many years and have taken NRA classes  and married to a retired Army Special Forces Captain and a NRA  instructor and safety.  Range officer as well Yes  very hard State. 
but I feel extremely thankful there are 2 wonderful clubs near me with some great people.  

Just getting  started is expensive.  
thanks 

Lady Di

Sounds like you have it covered. I wrongly assumed that you were new to shooting, not just to SASS. Good luck, and get ready for the time of your life. As someone once said, "If you don't feel better when you leave the shoot then when you got here, you're just not doing it right!"

Welcome from myself and Jersey Bratt. To make Griff happy I will tell you you are NOT required to wear a hat. That said, now go get yourself a good hat lol.

Imis

11 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Welcome from myself and Jersey Bratt. To make Griff happy I will tell you you are NOT required to wear a hat. That said, now go get yourself a good hat lol.

Imis

Imis I often think of you lately, there’s a guy I shoot with regularly named @La Sombra that wears a hat about the same size as yours.  I like shooting with him, there’s always a shady spot :P

Welcome Lady Di.  I’ll probably get in trouble for saying this,  (I’m not politically correct anyway) welcome to the most fun you’ll have with your clothes on. 

Howdy and Welcome, Lady Di!

I've had 5 holsters. I like the current one best. It is useable for B Western, not Classic though due to the drop loops. What I like about it is that I don't have to wear a separate belt for SG Shells. 

It is the Dixie Belle by Ted Blocker. https://tedblockerholsters.com/collections/western-rigs/products/dixie-bell

dixiebell_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1602075937

1 hour ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Imis I often think of you lately, there’s a guy I shoot with regularly named @La Sombra that wears a hat about the same size as yours.  I like shooting with him, there’s always a shady spot :P

Thanks TS.

I try to accommodate all under the shade!

An older picture of me in my Wild Bunch rig, ala Vincente Fernadez, with Bibito the Wonder Corgi!

La Sombra

IMG_1778.jpg

Welcome.

Start slow...

Costuming can be found in your closet, a thrift store or a shop...you decide.

Look on the SASS classified for needs.

Go to swap meets at clubs you can get to.

As for guns...go to matches, try several before buying.

There ARE guns out there...just need to take time and look around.

It can be overwhelming to try to start ALL RIGHT NOW.

Add it, bit by bit.

Now, y'all see La Sombra has style. And lots of friends when it rains. I was told once "It's not a hat, it is an umbrella with a fat stick" aint saying nothing about La  Sombra. Onviously a stylish individual

Imis

1 hour ago, Deacon Henry, SASS #53503L said:

Howdy! Singin Sue gave you good advice and you will get a lot of support from the East End Regulators and the Hole In The Wall Gang. Looking forward to meeting you pards at Westhampton and Calverton. 

DEACON!!!

You sir, are missed!!!

Just want to say welcome to the game, go slow and try many guns.  Best advice I can give you don't buy until you try. Cowboys and cowgirls are the best pards you'll ever meet.

Arizona Gunfighter

Archived