SASS Wire Forum

No injuries after small planes collide in midair

Sedalia Dave

A local Denver reporter said, “You can see the landing was so rough it knocked a hole in the Key Lime Air plane”

:blink::wacko:

I would respectfully submit that the Key Lime pilot should immediately purchase a lottery ticket before the luck runs away from him!

2 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

I would respectfully submit that the Key Lime pilot should immediately purchase a lottery ticket before the luck runs away from him!

All I heard him say was he had engine failure. Did he even know he’d been hit??

8 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

He used up all his luck for the month.

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The pilot of the key Lime AC was awfully calm sounding given the condition of his AC. Wonder if he knew how bad the damage was?

That is what training is for.  You rarely hear panic in any of the voices. 

Well at least on of them has an in with Saint Joseph of Cupertino.  I still have the medallion I was given in 1987 that I wear everytime I board an aerial conveyance.

I saw an interview with a lady who had come out of her house and saw the smaller plane parachuting down.  I said to myself, "That's a Cirrus, for sure!"  As to the Key Lime aircraft, that damage was significantly greater than the picture of the Gooney Bird that was attacked by a Japanese Zero over China during (or before) WWII!  The Zero pilot apparently tried to shoot the C-47 down, but failed, running out of ammo.  Either he misjudged his approach, or decided to kamikazi the Goon.  He hit the top of the fusilage about midway, took out a chunk, though not as bad-looking as the Key Lime suffered, then the Jap died for his emperor!

It looks to me like the Cirrus didn't turn from the base leg sharply enough.  With a low-wing monoplane, when you are turning right, the port wing blocks your view to the left.  (In a high-wing, a right turn is obscured because the port wing drops into your sightline.)  I wonder if the tower might be somewhat at fault.  Why didn't they have the Cirrus extend his downwind leg until the Key Lime plane was further along on final?  Not sure how far apart 17L and 17R are.

Both occupants extremely lucky to have walked away from this one!  If it had been any other light a/c, the two souls onboard would not have made it! :o

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A local Denver reporter said, “You can see the landing was so rough it knocked a hole in the Key Lime Air plane”

:blink::wacko:

Don't know any more about airplanes than they do about guns.

How do these people get a job in the first place...and keep one more than a week or two?

2 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

It looks to me like the Cirrus didn't turn from the base leg sharply enough. Yup. Pretty sloppy flying the pattern. With a low-wing monoplane, when you are turning right, the port wing blocks your view to the left.  (In a high-wing, a right turn is obscured because the port wing drops into your sightline.)  I wonder if the tower might be somewhat at fault. Yup.   Why didn't they have the Cirrus extend his downwind leg until the Key Lime plane was further along on final? Good question. I'm sure the'll be talking to the controllers.  Not sure how far apart 17L and 17R are. Far enough apart to stay out of the way.

Looks like the ATC was cutting it too close. 2 aircraft turning onto final on parallel runways at the same time?

Archived