SASS Wire Forum

My Service Pistol collection is (more or less) complete

Finally was able to bring home my Uberti Cimarron replica of the S&W American model that was adopted by the US Army in, uhm, either 1870 or 1871.

This basically completes my US Army cartridge firing sidearm collection with either Genuine GI, Commercial equivalent or replica firearms.

I use a fairly "open" definition of sidearm; basically if it was purchased for general issue, saw front line usage, or was purchased in significant numbers even if it was only used by rear echelon or home front personnel, it counts.   Specialty or limited use pistols are not counted, to say nothing to "test" arms.

So, that means I now have the following...

Colt 1860 revolver, converted to fire cartridges (Pietta Replica)

S&W Model 3 American  (Uberti replica)

Colt SAA (Armi San Marco replica in milspec configuration down to the US on the frame)

S&W Schofield (Uberti Replica)

Colt DA 38 Model 1894 (USGI)

S&W M&P  (USGI.  Technically, this is a WWII era Victory Model.  But it is for all intents and purposes the same gun adopted as the Model 1899.  This is where the "sorta" complete comes in.  I'd really like to get a "real" 1899 in .38 Long Colt, a "pre-Victory" model in .38 Special, and another Victory in the same caliber.  The one I have now is a .38 S&W, indicating it was a lend lease pistol to Britain or a Commonwealth nation.)

Colt 1902  DA Revolver (USGI)

Colt 1909 (USGI)
Colt 1911 (USGI)

Colt 1917 (USGI)

S&W 1917 (Brazilian Army Surplus)

Colt 1911A1 (USGI  Remington Rand manufacture)
Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32 ACP  (Commercial.  10's of 1000's of these bought during the War, and were not all issued to Generals, so they qualify.)

Berretta 92FS  (Commercial)

Sig Saur M17 (Commercial)

It's taken a long time to amass this collection, but I am happy to say that it is now more or less complete.   The only other "gap" might be an SAA in "Artillery Model" configuration.

I find it ironic that while only the SAA was actually a .45 Colt back in the day, all of the first 4 replica pistols are in that caliber.

6 minutes ago, watab kid said:

nice array of handguns , your M1909 is 45 colt as well 

Yep.  So's the 1902.

I've learned that both of these, actual USGI, are quite rare.  They were pretty much all sent to be used in the Philippines, where the problems with the Moros were still ongoing.

Congrats on such a nice collection. Well done Sir!

The 1917 in 45 acp, I presume?

I have one in 45 Colt is why I ask.

Now, onto sabers?

Nice collection but it didn’t happen without tintypes I’m afraid. And don’t forget sword knots for your sabres. 

Pictures?  You want pictures?  I got pictures.

1081434172_USServicePistols.thumb.JPG.e687d669c8afd2744d20a0e7915235fb.JPG

Top Row, Left to Right

Colt 1860 Modern Made Replica by Pietta.  Converted to fire .45 Colt

Smith and Wesson Model Three American  Modern made replica by Uberti, imported by Cimarron.  .45 Colt

Colt M1873 Modern Replica made by Armi San Marco.   .45 Colt
Second Row, Left to Right

Smith and Wesson Model M1875 Schofield  Modern Replica made by Uberti.  .45 Colt
Colt DA 38 M1894.  US Army Surplus.  .38 Long Colt

[Not here:  S&W M1899 in .38 Long Colt  This is the only one I don't have]

Colt M1902 US Army Surplus  .45 Colt 
Third Row, Left to Right

Colt M1909  US Army Surplus .45 Colt

Colt M1911 US Army Surplus .45 ACP

Colt M1917 US Army Surplus .45 ACP

Smith and Wesson M1917  Brazilian Army Surplus .45 ACP

Bottom Row Left to Right

Colt 1911-A1 made by Remington Rand  US Army Surplus  .45 ACP

Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless  Commerical version,  .32 ACP

Smith and Wesson pre-Victory Model .38 S&W   Canadian Army Surplus
Not Pictured Smith and Wesson Victory Model .38 S&W  Australian Army Surplus.  [Yes, I have it.  But it is currently not available to photograph]

Beretta M9 Commerical version 92FS 9mm Parabellum

Sig Saur M17  Commerical version 9mm Parabellum

So, as you can see, the collection is, more or less, complete.   When I had 'em all laid out, I really liked looking the history they represent.

27 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

More like a hundred dollar kitchen table bought on clearance at K Mart...

Oh, I thought it was a piece of plywood.

16 hours ago, Baltimore Ed said:

A most excellent tintype. Thank you. Really like your 1902 there. 

The 1902 is an odd duck.   It's the military version of the Colt 1878, which for all intents and purposes is a DA Peacemaker.  Sort of.  

But let that go.  I will say that the overlarge trigger DOES make the DA pull much easier to do than on the "standard" 78.  One thing I have not been able to determine is if this gun okay to use smokeless in.  We know that post 1900 SAA's are good to go, and this is a post 1900 gun, but I have no idea if this model was okayed for smokeless use.   We know that the 1877 Lighting remained black powder only until it's run ended in 1909, and that the M1894 DA .38 was said to be good for smokeless.  (But not the M1892.)

So, for now, I just use black of subs in it.

Something like that would really be da bomb with my 1899 Krag school rifle [looks like the Krag Philippine Constabulary rifle].  The Krag bowie bayonet is faux, I made it from a buggered up bolo knife. For 121 years old she’s a great shooter. I’m going to use it at our BAMM next weekend. Plan to shoot it for 3 stages, have lunch and shoot my 21 inch bbl 1903 Springfield ‘carbine’ after lunch. Using a pair of New Service Colts too. Should be a good time. 

B2ACC133-01B2-4737-8E33-27968CA06E03.jpeg

Archived