SASS Wire Forum

Supper

How's New Orleans style red beans and rice with andouille sausage, a couple of slices of bacon precooked and chopped up and the grease for your, chopped onions,  chopped celery, some chopped up bell peppers, and a whole lot of Tabasco sauce to start things off.  

Add corn meal biscuits and lots of real butter, and honey (or orange marmalade....I like both).

Wash it down with some ice sweet tea.  

Cap it off with real Mexican flan (because I have it on hand and if I don't eat it tonight it won't last until tomorrow.

HOLD the chopped up bell pepper. Do you have some mild, long green chili peppers? You could substitute those. HOWEVER, since I’m not going to be eating it, make it the way YOU like it!   :lol:

I'll give your way a try.  Didn't have any celery, either, but I didn't miss it.

I've got to learn how to portion things out.  I made enough for two or maybe three more meals.

Note to self: Remember to buy long green chili peppers, some more andouille, and some celery. 

That sounds delicious. 

Have you ever tried Zatarains Red Beams and Rice? It’s cheating but it’s good. Especially if you get some of those beef sausages from Costco made by Kolbossi (not kidding, it’s a family name) or some of their Teton Polish Sausage. Mixed em up. Darn good eatin’. 

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That sounds delicious. 

Have you ever tried Zatarains Red Beams and Rice? It’s cheating but it’s good. Especially if you get some of those beef sausages from Costco made by Kolbossi (not kidding, it’s a family name) or some of their Teton Polish Sausage. Mixed em up. Darn good eatin’. 

Zatarain's isn't cheating!   I've had both the Red Beans & Rice and a lot of their Jambalaya and both are pretty good.  I do tend to add additional spices and sometimes fresh herbs and vegetables when making both.

44 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Zatarain's isn't cheating!   I've had both the Red Beans & Rice and a lot of their Jambalaya and both are pretty good.  I do tend to add additional spices and sometimes fresh herbs and vegetables when making both.

I'll give Zatarains a try, too.  Might make more better sizes than my 'by guess and by golly" system.  Probably a bunch faster, too.

Thanks for the tip.

44 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I'll give Zatarains a try, too.  Might make more better sizes than my 'by guess and by golly" system.  Probably a bunch faster, too.

Thanks for the tip.

For me a standard sized Zatarain's box (it sometimes comes in a larger "family" size) is usually good for 2-3 meals and it reheats fairly well.  However my portion sizes tend to be on the larger size so you may get 3-5 meals.

Maybe 10 minutes of prep , dump everything into a pot, bring to a full boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes. 

Archived