SASS Wire Forum

Any of you use smokeless-lubed bullets in your revolvers, & dip the nose in lube as you load?

Good Afternoon:

I've got a box of 500 smokeless-lubed bullets that I want to put through my revolvers (with BP), and I've heard that some folks are doing this.

With just the smokeless lube, the revolvers get real crusty real fast.

I'm looking for a way to avoid melting the lube out and pan lubing them.

I'm looking for a lube that has the consistency of cold cream.

I know someone has a recipe I can steal!

It' temporary -- Just looking to use up a box.

Thanks 

--Dawg

Have you ever tried Crisco.  Lots of black powder musket shooters use it.

For over 20 years I have used unlubed smokeless bullets in my BP pistol rounds.  I do melt out the crayon lube,  but that is super easy to do.  I squirt a blob of butter-flavored Crisco (which may have a higher melting temp than regular Crisco, I don't know) over the first two rounds in the cylinder at the loading table.  The first shot fired blasts the Crisco out of the cylinder that was over the next round, but it just coats the front of the cylinder for a bit.   Guns run fine all day and clean easy later. 

Used to shoot with a guy that loaded BP with smokeless bullets and dredged every round through a can of Crisco as he loaded rifle and and pistols.  Made a mess but seemed to work for him.

I have filled the front of my cylinders with bore butter before loading and that works well.

Thanks guys.

In my experience, straight crisco gets all over the guns & makes them messy & greasy.
I'll go ahead & melt out the crayon stuff & pan lube.

--Dawg

1 minute ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Thanks guys.

In my experience, straight crisco gets all over the guns & makes them messy & greasy.
I'll go ahead & melt out the crayon stuff & pan lube.

--Dawg

After loading fill the mouth of the first chamber to be fired with any BP compatible lube. This is how I run my C&B pistols and so far I have had zero issues and the guns are not all messy.

I've loaded BP with Bear Creek Moly Coated Bullets for years. I load the powder and then punch a lube wad out of brood sheet bees wax that be keepers use. I use the one with no metal screen in the wax.

Or just melt bees wax and pour onto wax paper. let it run to about 1/16 or so in thickness. Then with the wax sheet held in the air I used the powder loaded case to punch one wad and then seat your bullet of choice.

Easier done than explained.

Learned this from, Wandering Star, another black powder shooter.

Plenty of lubrication and you can shoot all day with no problems. 

Castalia

YECH!!!  All this Lube Schmube schuff.  Just Bite the Bullet (pun intended) and shoot the box of bullets up with APP.  Smoke aplenty, no lube necessary, shoot fine allatime.  Easy Peasy.  No mess, no hassle, easy clean.  APP is your friend.  Trust Me 

6 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Good Afternoon:

I've got a box of 500 smokeless-lubed bullets that I want to put through my revolvers (with BP), and I've heard that some folks are doing this.

With just the smokeless lube, the revolvers get real crusty real fast.

I'm looking for a way to avoid melting the lube out and pan lubing them.

I'm looking for a lube that has the consistency of cold cream.

I know someone has a recipe I can steal!

It' temporary -- Just looking to use up a box.

Thanks 

--Dawg

When I met Mean Mark years back in Florida, he did it that way.  Got his mix and guidance from Split Rail I believe.

I also shot with Long Tall Texan a few times, and once he was using vaseline.

Since you mention cold cream, what about actual cold cream?

I use smokeless bullets all the time with lube still on, I just add a lube cookie under the bullet & never have any problems..my cookie is beeswax, tallow & a touch of oil melted on to a sheet of  felt & punched out at about 1/8 ''

Lotsa good ideas here -- Thanks

I've always shot big lube boolits, and BP-lubed bullets by Parson Delacroix, so I'm entering new territory here.

Lately I've used Desperado & Missouri BP-Friendly boolits in my revolvers.

Still use Big Lubes in my rifle.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--Dawg

10 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Lotsa good ideas here -- Thanks

I've always shot big lube boolits, and BP-lubed bullets by Parson Delacroix, so I'm entering new territory here.

Lately I've used Desperado & Missouri BP-Friendly boolits in my revolvers.

Still use Big Lubes in my rifle.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--Dawg

How did the MO Bullet BP rounds do with real BP as compared to big lube bullets?

They did fine in the pistols.

Shot a 6-stage match with no problems

Never tried them in the rifle.

--Dawg

5 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

They did fine in the pistols.

Shot a 6-stage match with no problems

Never tried them in the rifle.

--Dawg

Just swab the rifle barrel every two stages. Easy peasy, you'll be fine. That's what I did back in my Black days!:lol:

I ran them in my 45s. I used a grease cookie of 50/50 beeswax/tallow (or crisco) under the bullet. Worked out pretty well for me. Never did more than wipe off the outside of the cylinders about halfway through the day. That was just to keep my hands half way clean. The rifle never got cleaned until I got home. 

I use a mixture of crisco and beeswax, got the info from split rail years ago. Dip my rifle and pistol both at the loading table. 

Back in my Frontier Cartridge days I used BP plus a semolina filler. In 38 Special cases.    With hard cast/coated bullets.   Pistols ran fine with minimal attention (every 3 or 4 stages or so pull the cylinder, wipe the cylinder face and clean/relube cylinder pin) Rifle I loaded a homemade grease cookie (beeswax/olive oil) over the semolina before seating the bullet.   Rifle  ran fine all day.   I can only assume the semolina turned into a "wad" and took fouling with it.  Never went to any real trouble and had no dramas.   I think some folks make it more complex than it needs to be....  good to see some other "simple is good enough" folks here!:D

On 5/12/2021 at 3:54 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

For over 20 years I have used unlubed smokeless bullets in my BP pistol rounds.  I do melt out the crayon lube,  but that is super easy to do.  I squirt a blob of butter-flavored Crisco (which may have a higher melting temp than regular Crisco, I don't know) over the first two rounds in the cylinder at the loading table.  The first shot fired blasts the Crisco out of the cylinder that was over the next round, but it just coats the front of the cylinder for a bit.   Guns run fine all day and clean easy later. 

Would you say he is really cooking now?

Archived