SASS Wire Forum

Daughter didn't listen, maybe she learned

Trigger Mike

Due to the pipeline that carries 50% of the fuel for our part of the  country being shut down, I told my daughter to top off her tank.  I told her to do so after school on her way to work.  She goes to high-school and works at zaxby and shoneys.   When no one would work during the virus , they hired her , though she was 16 at the time.  Now she is almost 18.  

She drives a chevy sonic hatchback that is great on mileage.  

She replied she had recently filled it up and didn't want to take the time.  The next day on Tuesday she tried to get gas.  She called me concerned because she had passed 3 stations and they were out of gas.  I told her not to drive all over town wasting gas, to come home and next time I warn her, HEED MY WARNING.   I told her these things happen fast and it perpetuates itself as people panic.  

Thankfully another station had some on her way home.  Later we got word no one in town has gas.  

When our #1 joined the Navy as a kiddie cruiser, I warned her to get her job assignment in writing, or she would wind up as a deck ape.
Yeah, yeah Dad... and she wound up as a deck ape.

30 years later, she is at the top of her game...
Learning does indeed take place.
No matter how long it takes.

Yes she was very lucky that’s for sure!

i’ll bet a lot of people in your area are experiencing gas siphoning theft, too!

Cat Brules

7 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Pipeline?  Carries gasoline?  Or oil to a 

The pipeline that provides gas, diesel, natural gas and jet fuel from Texas to New Jersey was hacked by ransomware so it was shut down Friday night and SOME of it may be back on line later this week.   The major airport at Hartsfield Atlanta gets their jet fuel from that pipeline.  Airlines are flying in fuel from other places or flying smaller planes to Texas, having the passengers get on bigger jets there to go to Hawaii or beyond.  

Enough supply was on hand to last until Wednesday but is gone now.  

7 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

The pipeline that provides gas, diesel, natural gas and jet fuel from Texas to New Jersey was hacked by ransomware so it was shut down Friday night and SOME of it may be back on line later this week.   The major airport at Hartsfield Atlanta gets their jet fuel from that pipeline.  Airlines are flying in fuel from other places or flying smaller planes to Texas, having the passengers get on bigger jets there to go to Hawaii or beyond.  

How does one pipeline carry multiple fuels (with varying levels of refinement)  and natural gas?  Or are we talking about one pipeline carrier, whose multiple lines are affected?

LL

At 13 daughters know everything and you know nothing. At 21 they find out they know nothing and you knew everything. (Or at least we hope by 21)

So who did the hack? The Russians or the oil company? Will we ever know the truth?

9 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

How does one pipeline carry multiple fuels (with varying levels of refinement)  and natural gas?  Or are we talking about one pipeline carrier, whose multiple lines are affected?

LL

Its called batching and it allows one pipeline to carry multiple fuels. Makes for very efficient use of a limited number of pipelines.

How Batching Works and Why It’s Important for Pipeline Operators

I am sure the perpetrators will be labeled as “Terrorists” then hunted down and brought to Justice (he said sarcastically)

I heard it was an extortion hack, originating in Russia, by high tech gangsters trying for a big payout.

I guess those responsible for the operation of the line will have to high a third year community college student to harden their system from future attacks.

Safe to guarantee if this one is successful, there will be a lot more.

I don’t care what’s written on the bathroom wall you’re a pretty smart cookie  :ph34r: :D

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Its called batching and it allows one pipeline to carry multiple fuels. Makes for very efficient use of a limited number of pipelines.

How Batching Works and Why It’s Important for Pipeline Operators

It's affecting more than just pipelines.  Recently several businesses (hospital, clinic, law offices) in my town got attacked by ransomware and are paying a heavy price.  Somehow they even hacked into our State's Attorney General's system and our State Board of Elections system.

Most of these problems are inside jobs.
Company computers or laptops are used for non-company business, and wind up with a malware bug getting installed.

Being attached to the company network, these machines are now inside the firewall and DMZ.
Big companies use proxies in the DMZ to scan incoming traffic for infections.

I remember when Code Red came through our place as an inside infection on an employee laptop used at home to surf unsafe sites.
It shut us down world-wide.

3 hours ago, Smoken D said:

At 13 daughters know everything and you know nothing. At 21 they find out they know nothing and you knew everything. (Or at least we hope by 21)

So who did the hack? The Russians or the oil company? Will we ever know the truth?

Knowing the truth is really the problem. Way more disinformation out there than anything. Confusion and chaos seems to be the game anymore. 

10 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Most of these problems are inside jobs.
Company computers or laptops are used for non-company business, and wind up with a malware bug getting installed.

Being attached to the company network, these machines are now inside the firewall and DMZ.
Big companies use proxies in the DMZ to scan incoming traffic for infections.

I remember when Code Red came through our place as an inside infection on an employee laptop used at home to surf unsafe sites.
It shut us down world-wide.

This is one of the reasons I do not use a company computer and I do not use personal jump drives in my work computer and vice versa. 

Everybody thought WWIII or IV (depending on your count) would be accompanied by bright flashes of light and thunderous explosions.  But what we may be seeing is cyberwarfare being carried out by our geopolitical rivals!  Similar goings-on may have been responsible for the reported damage to an Iranian uranium plant.  

Likewise, the current pandemic might be biological warfare or at least leakage from a biowarfare lab somewhere to the west of the Pacific Ocean.  :ph34r:  

No judgment here, nor a question of whether children should listen to their parents.  Just a question on panic buying.

To get on the leading edge of panic buying, is advise to run out to get yours in gas any different than running out to get yours in toilet paper, or chicken, or wood, or primers, or whatever happens to be the current shortage, good advice? 

This just goes to prove that “Father knows best” B)

Many lessons in life have to be learned by first hand experience. If we are blessed, we learn them, and are not killed, maimed, or otherwise injured, in the process.  

Just giving advice, or statements, or referring to your own personal experiences, may just not get the point across...especially to a teenager.  

Youth is wasted on the young...as the old saying goes. Maybe. But looking back, I was no different. I had to learn the hard way, on a lot of things. It sorta stays with you, when you have to learn it by first hand experience, and the hard way. 

Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it.

Around my house, I have been proven right about 99% of the time in circumstances like this. When they don't listen, and I'm once again proven right, I make them say, "Always listen to the fat guy, the fat guy is always right".  They're learning.

Cheapest gas in the area is at WallyWorld.  A few places were inundated with panic stricken drivers and were bought out, at least for the moment. The line at the pumps was long and we had a 15 minute wait, but there was no indication that Walmart was running low.

42 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

IIRC Carter had double digit interest rates and pretty bad inflation numbers. 

During 1980-81, my firm sent me to Cape Cod to open a branch office.  No sooner had we opened our doors than interest rates went to 21%.  Effectively shut down all commercial and residential lending, and most related building and business activity.  So much for expanding the practice.  Taught me a lesson I'll never forget.

LL

We left Cape Cod in 1974 after my son was born.
It was still quaint and very seasonal in those days.
I can only image how crowded and overbuilt it is today.
I drove the streets with Google Maps and was shocked at how dense it has become now.

I'm thinking it was the Electric car manufacturers so they could sell more electric cars.

Largo

On 5/12/2021 at 12:40 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

This is one of the reasons I do not use a company computer and I do not use personal jump drives in my work computer and vice versa. 

As someone who has spent 30+ years in IT, I appreciate this. Lord knows that 90% of my time in not spent on new designs and projects, but instead, on ways to mitigate and protect users from themselves and in locking systems down as much as possible while still keeping them useful

On 5/12/2021 at 8:22 AM, Trigger Mike said:

I've done my share of consulting with midstream operators, but not this operator, Colonial.  Their control networks are typically not part of the internet, but disconnected, private networks.  Hacking it isn't just a matter of finding a way in through a firewall like a lot of businesses.  They had to find someone with access.  Maybe an engineer who connected to the network while still connected to the internet.  That's a breach of security protocol, but the found a door somewhere.  This was a very sophisticated job.

FYI, The MSM is reporting that Colonial paid $5 million in ransom to free their network.

Place I worked got a cryptolocker that came in disguised as a pdf invoice. It only locked 1meg at a time when the file got bumped. Took a bit to notice the issue, but when we lost the ability to print invoicing we realized we had a problem.  They wanted .2 but on at the time that was about 500 bucks.

Archived