SASS Wire Forum

LEOSA Lawsuit Forces Policy Change in New Jersey.

Charlie T Waite

Last year, a coalition of retired federal law enforcement officers and the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association sued the Garden State for denying their right to carry under the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA). That lawsuit just forced a policy change in the state that should allow more law enforcement officers to carry.

LEOSA is a federal law that preempts state laws and allows current and retired law enforcement officers to carry without state-issued permits. Under the statute, agency-issued credentials effectively act as a permit to carry. Despite this clear statutory mandate, New Jersey refused to allow credentialed federal officers who resided in the state to carry without a state-issued permit. 

Several law enforcement officers challenged New Jersey’s policy requiring them to get permits to carry in federal court. The state tried to get the case dismissed, which prompted NRA-ILA and the Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs to file an amicus brief supporting the officers. New Jersey then seemingly recognized that its position was wrong and backtracked by withdrawing its motion to dismiss the case, which allowed the case to continue.

Now New Jersey has backtracked even further and seemingly abandoned its position. It changed its LEOSA Frequently Asked Questions page and admits that people like the retired officers who brought the lawsuit can carry without state-issued permits. It’s a shame that it took a lawsuit to force this change, but the new policy is more in line with LEOSA.  

Good, if it was only worth while to obtain a HR 218 permit. Classes every year and qualify with a gun. Like me I'm 2 hours away from the classes which is a 2 day course. Have to do it every year and we all know how fast a year goes by. My Missouri CCW permit is good for 5 years plus living in Missouri you can carry without having to obtain a permit. Only good in Missouri can't travel outside the state. 

2 hours ago, Smoken D said:

Good, if it was only worth while to obtain a HR 218 permit. Classes every year and qualify with a gun. Like me I'm 2 hours away from the classes which is a 2 day course. Have to do it every year and we all know how fast a year goes by. My Missouri CCW permit is good for 5 years plus living in Missouri you can carry without having to obtain a permit. Only good in Missouri can't travel outside the state. 

I understand you pain, I supported the NRA-ILA in this suit even though I am not from there.  I have the LEOSA permit, and if we let 1 state get away with that crap then the rest would follow.  We fought long and hard to get that federal law through starting in the 1990's  and it took until 2004...long hard battle but as can be seen when we keep at it we can get the wins...Just don't give in or up and stay active in pursuing your rights.

Charlie

8 hours ago, Smoken D said:

I have taught a number of ex-LE so they could get their Tennessee Enhanced Permit. Yes, that really is as silly as it sounds.

Why would a retired LEO get the state permit? You answered that question above, it is just what they told me.

While they would not get New Jersey (or about a dozen other states), it gave them a lot of states and they are states they want to go to. And it is good for eight years. And just some bucks to renew, no more training or qualifications or travel to get it.

With one exception, they also simply ran the required 50 rounds rather than presenting the documentation for the waiver of firearms qualification (which for me is just a mouse click, but there is still some documentation hurdle with the state). Because they saw it as simpler to shoot the rounds rather than present special paperwork.

We really should help our first responders more, they (you) should not find it easier to do it the way it is laid out for the rest of us. The way I did it, the way I now teach it. You deserve better and the way I teach it should not be the easiest way for you.

But since it is, I am proud to help. Just one request... Please accept our 10% first-responder discount. Don't argue with me about that; You earned it.

Archived