SASS Wire Forum

My one that got away

Ezra Hawthorne

So early this morning a listing appeared for a used 1860 Richards Mason revolver in .38 for only $275, I called and called for hours and couldn't get anybody to answer until just now, where they informed me it sold an hour ago. If only employees were motivated enough to answer a phone once in a while, I might have secured my first revolver. My day is ruined..

jtFerGO.gif

sorry to hear this , im not sure what happened but i know everyone is having staffing problems these days , sad it affects the buisnesses as it does but its a current fact till everyone gets motivated to go back to work after this flue season , 

if i had one i would offer it to you but i dont , im not even sure what it is your looking for yet as ive not looked it up to add to my knowledge , but i will as i like to learn something new every day , best of luck on your search , 

I'd be hesitant to attack the folks at the "shop"...unless you have intimate knowledge of their operation.

Or...you can just figure that they didn't answer the phone just so that you'd be pissed off.

Phantom

These days if you can go in person you are better off. I missed out on a Smith & Wesson model 27 because I did the same thing. I kept calling when I should have just driven there. It was 35 miles but if I would have gone when I started calling that revolver would be mine now. 

Since CoVid kicked off lots of shops have literally stopped answering phones because of the constant calls looking for ammo or asking what guns they have in stock. 
I am sure answering the phone a hundred times a day to the same questions followed by whining and more questions would be a good time, no?

I tend to find that if I miss out on one "deal", there's a fair chance that there's a better deal just down the road.

This is also especially true if I jump on what I think is a deal, there's gonna be one that shows up a week or two later that is better.

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

These days if you can go in person you are better off. I missed out on a Smith & Wesson model 27 because I did the same thing. I kept calling when I should have just driven there. It was 35 miles but if I would have gone when I started calling that revolver would be mine now.

Yeah couldn't drive there, the store is halfway across the country.

7 hours ago, Hendo said:

I tend to find that if I miss out on one "deal", there's a fair chance that there's a better deal just down the road.

This is also especially true if I jump on what I think is a deal, there's gonna be one that shows up a week or two later that is better.

When it comes to firearms these days, I sincerely doubt there's going to be a better deal than this one appearing anytime soon, if ever. The only sixguns i've seen lower priced than that are the Rough Riders and Wranglers in .22 caliber.

11 hours ago, watab kid said:

if i had one i would offer it to you but i dont , im not even sure what it is your looking for yet as ive not looked it up to add to my knowledge , but i will as i like to learn something new every day , best of luck on your search , 

Looking for CAS guns for a price I could afford, unfortunately the current market and scarcity has made that doubly difficult. I keep trying GunBroker to no avail.

7 hours ago, Hendo said:

Funny you should mention this. 

After missing out in that model 27 I was doing a search online of shops in my county one night and I found a local chain store that had a section in their online search that included “Smith & Wesson Classics”. These are remakes of S&W’s older revolvers. 
I opened it up and they had the full list of classic revolvers but no model 27s at any of their stores. Then I noticed they had a model 25 .45 Colt with a 6.5” barrel at the store nearest me. 
I almost fell out of my chair. I knew they made this model in 2008 and I missed out on them, but I did not know they had made another run of them in 2019. 
I went to the store the next morning and bought it. This bad boy is… was one of the guns on my “Grail Gun List”.

46636049-EC02-44F2-A0EC-3AF6531190E5.thumb.jpeg.87f6b53aba53404d128661e1ebbc4b27.jpeg

So, @Ezra Hawthorne don’t give up hope. :D

4 minutes ago, Ezra Hawthorne said:

Yeah couldn't drive there, the store is halfway across the country.

When it comes to firearms these days, I sincerely doubt there's going to be a better deal than this one appearing anytime soon, if ever. The only sixguns i've seen lower priced than that are the Rough Riders and Wranglers in .22 caliber.

Looking for CAS guns for a price I could afford, unfortunately the current market and scarcity has made that doubly difficult. I keep trying GunBroker to no avail.

Sorry, I assumed it was local. 

Don’t give up hope. Keep searching. 
I am not familiar with this gun. Is it a cartridge or a percussion cap gun?

52 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Funny you should mention this. 

After missing out in that model 27 I was doing a search online of shops in my county one night and I found a local chain store that had a section in their online search that included “Smith & Wesson Classics”. These are remakes of S&W’s older revolvers. 
I opened it up and they had the full list of classic revolvers but no model 27s at any of their stores. Then I noticed they had a model 25 .45 Colt with a 6.5” barrel at the store nearest me. 
I almost fell out of my chair. I knew they made this model in 2008 and I missed out on them, but I did not know they had made another run of them in 2019. 
I went to the store the next morning and bought it. This bad boy is… was one of the guns on my “Grail Gun List”.

46636049-EC02-44F2-A0EC-3AF6531190E5.thumb.jpeg.87f6b53aba53404d128661e1ebbc4b27.jpeg

So, @Ezra Hawthorne don’t give up hope. :D

Love this! Except those blondish grips. Beautiful grain, but that color.......

13 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Love this! Except those blondish grips. Beautiful grain, but that color.......

I don’t see the grips when I am shredding bullseyes with that revolver. Love that thing. It’s accurate as all get out. :D The grips feel great too. 

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I don’t see the grips when I am shredding bullseyes with that revolver. Love that thing. It’s accurate as all get out. :D The grips feel great too. 

I hear you. I had a 25-5 some 15 or 18 years ago that I gave $275 in a pawn shop. Mine was 4 inch without the target stuff, grips, hammer, trigger. Shot it a few times and sold to another SASS shooter, Dallas Stoudenmire,  for $350 IIRC. Man, I wish we could see those prices and availability again. Wheel guns were plentiful as everyone was all caught up in whatever the latest tupperware wonder was to hit the market.

Archived