SASS Wire Forum

SOLD: Gorgeous Colt 1911 70 Series Gov't (1974)

This is a brand new / unfired Colt 1911 70s Series Government chambered in the classic 45 ACP. This has the standard 5" barrel and the large (aka BILLBOARD) roll mark. The pistol has never been fired, and it's still in 99% original condition. (However, the matching original box is very tattered.)

Only two cosmetic issues with this pistol (which make it only 99% condition). First, there is an idiot mark at the slide stop lever. Difficult to photo or see in most lighting, but it's there nonetheless. (See photo.) Second, there is a tiny scratch to the finish on the underside of the frame. (Again, see photo.) Both imperfections are circled in yellow in the photos.

This pistol will ship from my local FFL (Sharpshooters Gun Club & Indoor Range in Greenville, SC). Shipping is free within the continental US and included in the sale price.

More photos upon request.

Price = $1650 or Best Offer

Please feel free to ask questions. Happiness guaranteed. Thank you.

Colt 1911-2.jpg

Colt1911-8.jpg

Colt1911-7.jpg

Colt1911-10.jpg

Just to be clear, this particular Colt 1911 is, indeed, a Series 70 Government Model (as prominently stamped on both sides of the slide) and was manufactured in 1973 (so it's approximately 48 years old).

W.B.

4 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I thought the Government models were series 80's.

kR

Colt Government model is a 1911 with 5.03 in barrel. Commander has 4.25 in barrel. Officer has 3.5 in barrel. Defender has 3 in barrel. 

5 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I thought the Government models were series 80's.

kR

Only after the series 80 came out . That’s when they made the change to the fp blocking safety . At the time it made the series 70 guns much more desirable. 
not sure what models come with/without the fp block today 

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

not sure what models come with/without the fp block today 

The Series 80 and 90 models have the firing pin block.  The reissued Series 70s do not.  Series 70s are much appreciated by gunsmiths when trying to make a smooth and light trigger pull.

Some having No firing pin block:

1911 Classic - "A tribute to the revered Commercial Government Model pistols of the past, the 1911 Classic features the Series 70 firing system"

Royal Blue 1911 Classic

Competition, Competition Titanium, Competition Plus, Custom Competition

Wiley Clapp Commander, Government, Light Wt Commander, CCO

Special Combat Carry

Combat Elite Government

M45A1 Marine

Gold Cup National Match

Some models with block:

(current production) Government

Custom Carry

M1991A1

Combat Target

Combat Commander

Combat Unit CCO, Combat Unit (CCU) Government, Combat Unit Rail

Delta Elite

Officers

Defender

Custom Carry Limited

Other Colt 1911 models are not specified as either 70, 80 or 90 series triggers in Colt website specifications, as far as I can see.

good luck, GJ

BTT  Definitely Nice.  Finding one that has not been worked on is hard.  Probably not a 1973 make though as the serial number falls in between S/N 70G43001 to 70G73000  which means  1974 .  Interesting that the book is 1978 copyright though.  Hope someone gets this.

• Wade Butcher changed the title to FS: Gorgeous Colt 1911 70 Series Gov't (1974)
39 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

BTT  Definitely Nice.  Finding one that has not been worked on is hard.  Probably not a 1973 make though as the serial number falls in between S/N 70G43001 to 70G73000  which means  1974 .  Interesting that the book is 1978 copyright though.  Hope someone gets this.

Thanks for the birth year, Joe! I've corrected the thread title. :)

W.B.

On 5/14/2021 at 12:21 PM, Wade Butcher said:

Thanks for the birth year, Joe! I've corrected the thread title. :)

W.B.

Just to add some unnecessary confusion to the year of manufacture (LOL), the Colt website's serial number database shows this particular SN dated to 1973 (as originally advertised). However, I understand that the Colt collector handbooks give a different date (1974) for this serial number range, so who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

W.B.

Colt 1911 Serial Lookup.png

• Wade Butcher changed the title to SOLD: Gorgeous Colt 1911 70 Series Gov't (1974)

Archived