SASS Wire Forum

I just got my new old Gatling Gun

Just Bill SASS# 16394

Wow I just got my new old Gatling Gun. I have wanted one for , it seems like forever. Just got it delivered. My friend Purgatory Smith, filmed us shooting it for the first time. What a hoot. I love it (WHAT A TIME TO BE SHORT ON PRIMERS)

That Is Awesome !!!     

Love It  :wub:

27 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Yes, totally awesome!  I'd never heard of a percussion Gatling.  

It's amazing to realize that before cartridge guns Dr. Richard Gatling could invent a semi auto firearm.

It's amazing to realize that before cartridge guns Dr. Richard Gatling could invent a semi auto firearm.

1 minute ago, Just Bill SASS# 16394 said:

Not legally considered a firearm, as there is no trigger per se.

So in other words, there are no NFA restrictions on them.

I want one!  
heck I trade both of my cats and at least one of my kids just to shoot it! 

That is a neat video, thanks for sharing!  The leader of our Venture Crew 1872 has one of these and we use the cylinders with percusion caps on the back and shoot black powder blanks.  It has a tripod like the one you have plus we also have a set up with a wheeled carriage.  I am including some photos from back in 2010 when we first test fired it prior to a Civil War reinactment at Mexia Texas.  The cylinders are stainless steel and can been seen below the gattling on the tarp.  It took some time to work out the exact load for the blanks to prevent chain fires in the magazine, but we got that done and it works great.  We have used it many times in Indian War Living History events and Civil War Reinactments.  We have access to four mountain howitzers that belong to the local Scout Council for use in these events also.

1528656437_GattlingGun.jpg.ca46e3bfa4293a6d2118588672bc36ce.jpgIMG_4153.jpg.dec49d1f79a1c5599e2dd48a73723532.jpgIMG_4154.jpg.34f3405c06efb881cdecab47275befed.jpgIMG_4155.jpg.24683ab1c6c064b335de75e7e9305fe9.jpgIMG_4156.jpg.d1300b2f1e429398f22c9b73579a062b.jpg

5 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Is this an original or a reproduction?

Built by Battery Gun Company in Michigan. They build them better than the originals.

I wonder if I threw a tantrum in the Gatling Gun store if my wife would buy me one. Or maybe if I don't get anything for five Christmases and five birthdays. Seriously that is just super cool!

2 hours ago, Just Bill SASS# 16394 said:

The Gatling gun I have is a reproduction It is made to the original patent. It is made by 

Jay Sarosik. He does beutiful work.
thebatterygunco@gmail.com

Thanks. So after looking at his website I see that you could order some of the BP chambers and fire as they did on the originals.

I reckon ifn you have to ask, you can’t afford it!!! I looked at his website, sure would be cool to have one! 

Awesome Bill!  Off the charts on the coolness factor. And thanks for the best explanation I’ve ever heard on how the original guns worked using musket caps and nipples like a percussion revolver.  I always wondered how they got paper cartridges to work in a Gatling. 
Are your .45 Colt cartridges loaded the same as you’d use in your rifle or pistol?

Thanks for the post. 

Seamus

I am loading them with a 230 gr. lead round nose bullet. I was using the same powder charge that I use with my 200 gr. flat nose bullets. But I think I will up the charge some. (I came across a large quantity of 230 gr. bullets, that is why I am using them). NOW, PRIMERS ARE ANOTHER STORY. 

Just Bill

I wonder if that's the same company that made the one I got to shoot up in Michigan in the late 1970's.  It was made using blueprints obtained from some library.  It was built to patent specs, except he used 12 gauge barrels.  I shot a stack of 12 ga blanks in just a few seconds cranking that big ol' crank.  I'll never forget it.

10 hours ago, Baltimore Ed said:

Very neat. I shot 20 rds from a Colt Gatling at EOT. COOL. 

Ah, the Sargents. I had the pleasure of both the 45-70 Gatling in BP and the 308 in smokeless. Also a 20 mm Mountain Howitzer and a Maxmim, IIRC,

20 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Ah, the Sargents. I had the pleasure of both the 45-70 Gatling in BP and the 308 in smokeless. Also a 20 mm Mountain Howitzer and a Maxmim, IIRC,

Yep that was a lot of fun!

1 hour ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Yep that was a lot of fun!

Those guys are awesome! I hung around there camp sight listening to them, watching them reload for the howitzer, asking questions. Just generally acting like a little brother who won't leave his sister alone in the parlor with her date. You know, being a nuisance.

Archived