SASS Wire Forum

AAA moving

After almost 65 years of being a AAA member I now see NO reason to continue our relationship.  Their insurances all cost way too much, others nos offer roadside assistance for less, and the final straw was yesterday when I found out that they are closing their local office and that the closest office will no be nearly 100 miles south of here in Phoenix.

I am looking for replacements for my auto insurance (USAA ?). homeowner's insurance, personal insurance to cover my property that is not otherwise covered under my homeowner's insurance, liability policy, and roadside service.

They are now joining a whole passel of other businesses that no longer deserve my business.

SCROOM!

With the exception of our motorcycle & ATV all our insurance is with USAA. You just can't ask for a better company to work with. We;ve been with them since about 1974 and have never had even a slight issue with them. They even payed me $20 an hour to replace my snow plow when I caught a tree on the icy driveway! Unfortunately the ATV is with Progressive due to USAA referring us there for a better price and the bike is thru HOG for the same reason. Otherwise USAA has always been the least expensive. Last year our new car was hit in a parking lot and the offender was also with USAA-- by the time we got home 35 minutes later, there was a message from USAA giving us all the info to drop off our car for repair and pick up the rental. You just can't beat them. They insure firearms as well, but I've always been skeptical due to the requirement to give them serial numbers.

I've no skin in the game, but you just have to love USAA, at least my experience.

I recommend USAA. You’re a Vet. They will treat you right. I have had their insurance for years now. Excellent insurance and excellent customer service. 

I’ve been usaa since 1986. They used to be top notch. Now I’d describe them as mediocre at best. 

Don’t bother financing a house with them. It’s an outsourced company and a total Charlie Foxtrot. 

Had a homeowners claim two years ago. They gave me pennies on the dollar for what it really cost to fix the situation. 

Car insurance service used to be top notch, but haven’t had a claim in ten years. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s slipped to. 

They are an adequate low cost company. Nothing more or less. 

I don't have insurance with AAA, I just have the AAA plus roadside plan. I have car insurance with Progressive, I know they're liberals but I saved a ton of money with Flo!

I have all my insurance with USAA. I have financed 2 motorcycles and 1 car with them. I financed my last house through them and I currently have renters insurance through them. I have no complaints…Well, one. They will not insure motorcycles, boats or RVs, but they do have a deal through Progressive where I get excellent rates and excellent service as well. Having Progressive through USAA comes with very good service. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I’ve been usaa since 1986. They used to be top notch. Now I’d describe them as mediocre at best. 

Don’t bother financing a house with them. It’s an outsourced company and a total Charlie Foxtrot. 

Had a homeowners claim two years ago. They gave me pennies on the dollar for what it really cost to fix the situation. 

Car insurance service used to be top notch, but haven’t had a claim in ten years. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s slipped to. 

They are an adequate low cost company. Nothing more or less. 

They've always given me top dollar. Had some tires and wheels stolen a few years ago and told them that were 1/2 2/3rds worn. They said get some pix from a catalog of similar wheels and tires. Within a week I had a check for the full value.

I have my house, my truck and Medicare Supplements for me and Blue Boy with USAA. I have been a member for 17-18 years. I have little to complain about.

Imis 

State Farm Insurance.  After we moved to the Central Coast area, we didn’t like the agency owner, a ridiculous assclown.  One story Is:  We had an appt will h him and his office literally smelled like sh&$!   He took a baby out of a dog crate, set it on his desk and proceeded to change its sh177& diaper, right there in front of us.   My wife started gagging and we left.  They must have been feeding it creamed rats!  That’s only one tale.  He had a woman there who handled all my business, and over twenty++ years, she handled everything for us.  I told her to keep “Charles” out of my sight whenever I came in there.  I complained about him several times to State Farm about him specifically and their main office acted as our agent after that, questioned nothing, and over time there’s been no problems.  They do home and auto for us.

Cat Brules

45 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

We, too, have State Farm. No complaints. Our home insurance went up $200 this year. My neighbors have some other insurance; theirs went up $2,000.

BTW 4T, their office is in Sacramento. I've never been it even when we lived near there.

Allie here is where your money went.  State Farm bought the naming rights to Cardinal Stadium a couple of years ago.  I have two friends that retired from State Farm.  They both said their Christmas "gifts" got cancelled right after State Farm paid for the naming rights.

Unknown.jpeg

I don't think of AAA as an insurance company, though I know they sell it. I've been a member for years, and have gotten a lot out of it down  the decades with roadside service and tows; a couple in tough situations. It's nice to have.

But the best thing for us has been their travel services. Most old-time travel agencies went out of business. But with certain exceptions, I don't like to do all my travel planning on the internet myself. The AAA services come with the membership, and we get bookings around the country and the world often through them still.

And to just drop in and get maps and guides like we did 10 days ago for a quick trip to Santa Barbara, SLO and environs is nice!

Of course, if they've moved many miles away from you, that's not good. Ours is still in town and very convenient.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Allie here is where your money went.  State Farm bought the naming rights to Cardinal Stadium a couple of years ago.  I have two friends that retired from State Farm.  They both said their Christmas "gifts" got cancelled right after State Farm paid for the naming rights.

Unknown.jpeg

I'm pretty loyal to State Farm. We first got them when no one else would insure our in need of paint Victorian house. Then they insured my '64 Corvette that everyone, including Progressive, wanted an "arm and a leg" to insure.

Been with USAA for thirty years. Not the cheapest, but I have had zero complaints about their service. That includes getting a contractor out after tornado damage to our house a couple of years ago as well as a couple of vehicle claims in recent years.

17 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I don't think of AAA as an insurance company, though I know they sell it. I've been a member for years, and have gotten a lot out of it down  the decades with roadside service and tows; a couple in tough situations. It's nice to have.

But the best thing for us has been their travel services. Most old-time travel agencies went out of business. But with certain exceptions, I don't like to do all my travel planning on the internet myself. The AAA services come with the membership, and we get bookings around the country and the world often through them still.

And to just drop in and get maps and guides like we did 10 days ago for a quick trip to Santa Barbara, SLO and environs is nice!

Of course, if they've moved many miles away from you, that's not good. Ours is still in town and very convenient.

No way in hell I'm going to "just drop in" for any reason when they are moving from seven miles away to about a hundred...and from near paradise to a left wing, crime ridden, over populated cess pool. 

I may keep the roadside service.  I only had one problem with them some fifteen years ago and that eventually got sorted out

Archived