SASS Wire Forum

Marty Robbins Big Iron: The Pistol, not the Song

Okay, on a whim, I just checked the Wikipedia page for the song, and of course, reread the description of the pistol that inspired it.

The description of the pistol has changed again.

About the only things that have stayed consistent about the description are that it is a Great Western revolver with Colt 1860 grips.  Everything else about how it is described there has changed.

Originally, it was a .45 Colt.  Now it's a .44 Magnum.   Originally the barrel was cut down from a Marlin rifle.   Now it says a Winchester 92.  Barrel length has grown from 10 to 12 inches.

I know some people here have said they have seen the gun.  I think even the owner chimed in once.  But I can't remember for sure.   Does anyone here know he actual configuration of the pistol?  Pics are probably too much to ask for, but I'd really like to know for sure what it is.  Why the curiosity?  Well, I guess I want to know how close mine is to the original.   I know it's not exact, but I do want to know for sure.

The song was released in 1960. In 1959, which would be the latest Mr Robbins could have seen the "Big Iron" which inspired the song, there was no 45 Colt rifle. Not by Winchester, not by Marlin, not by anybody. Kind of difficult for him to cut down a Marlin rifle barrel to put on his 45 Colt pistol.

I won't say that the story is made up, because I wasn't there. But why in the world would someone build a 12-inch barreled gun for fast draw?

I noticed there is no reference given for that story. Interesting, considering how picky wiki is about references.

If you look back at articles on the internet about about "Big Iron" you'll see Great Western frame, 9.5" barrel from a Marlin (no where does it say a .45 Marlin), and Army grip; that's it.  The only person that knows for sure now what it looks like is the collector that owns it. I think it was mis-attributed as a .45 after Robbins told the story to a few people but it was actually a 44-40; but that's just my opinion.

Also, almost anyone can edit wiki pages.

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

The song was released in 1960. In 1959, which would be the latest Mr Robbins could have seen the "Big Iron" which inspired the song, there was no 45 Colt rifle. Not by Winchester, not by Marlin, not by anybody. Kind of difficult for him to cut down a Marlin rifle barrel to put on his 45 Colt pistol.

I won't say that the story is made up, because I wasn't there. But why in the world would someone build a 12-inch barreled gun for fast draw?

I noticed there is no reference given for that story. Interesting, considering how picky wiki is about references.

Maybe not 45 colt but a 45/50 60 70 90 100 110 might have been used.

If a common blacksmith could take your front stuffer revolver and convert it to cartridge I'm pretty sure they could get a barell with the proper bore tucked into the front of your pistol with just a bit o file work.

The whole story thing sounds spurious to me.  I remember when the song first was aired when I was a kid.  No mention at the time (and that’s the time we should’ve been hearing it) that the song was written based on an actual gun.  Not a word.  Here we are, 60+ years later, “listening” to this shape-shifting silliness.  These “Hollywood” tales about everything on the planet being associated with some entertainment figure goes on endlessly.  Robbins probably heard someone refer to an old Colt as a “Big Iron”, and it ran around in his head until he manufactured a story while watching “Gunsmoke” one night on TV.  Then, he ran over to his desk and roughed out the song lyrics based on the poetic story in his mind, and polished it up later.  I do that myself and so do a host of others.  HOWEVER, the song “Big Iron” is a masterpiece of fictional tale, suspense, poetry, instrumental serenade of the Southwest, and singing ability.  There may have been several movies and tv shows made (some maybe featuring Marty Robbins?) using the song as a basis.  The song, “El Paso” is another legendary Marty Robbins song, and there are 2 or 3 followup songs to it, (I think....who knows anymore?).

Marty may have been given a beat-up old Colt someone destroyed by trying to alter it in his basement.  If (doubtful) such a revolver exists, it likely is blessed with vice marks all over the frame and barrel.  I don’t buy into any of that, though.

It’s just a very cool, catchy old song that everyone likes, but you can trot out any gun you want and call it the “Big Iron” that inspired Marty Robbins to write the song.  But, I doubt that tale of a real “Big Iron” is true.  Doesn’t really matter though, the song is great!  And, I’m here to take a prisoner, back alive or maybe dead.  It really doesn’t matter.  I’m after Texas Red!

Cat Brules

2 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Maybe not 45 colt but a 45/50 60 70 90 100 110 might have been used.

If a common blacksmith could take your front stuffer revolver and convert it to cartridge I'm pretty sure they could get a barell with the proper bore tucked into the front of your pistol with just a bit o file work.

The rifling twist would be wrong. Also the bore diameter would be wrong. Accuracy would suck.

Rifle barrels are generally thicker than pistol barrels. You would need to stick it on the lathe and turn it down. Would make so much more sense to just buy a piece of barrel stock.

I would give long odds that the song inspired someone to make up a fantasy revolver and then claim it to be the inspiration for the song..

The revolver that inspired the song?  Probably a Colt cavalry revolver.

Duffield

I always pictured in my mind it was a colt dragoon or walker.  

In the movie open range Duvall us carrying a 1875 remington and he referred to it as a big gun with heft compared to postalwaites light colt saa

To me it just drew a picture in my mind of the Arizona Ranger being a small man.

Matt Dillon - 6'6" - can wear a seven and a half inch SAA and it looks normal. Put the same gun on Audie Murphy or Alan Ladd, and it looks like a big gun.

At this particular point in time . . . . Why??  Why do we even care??  Why are we discussing a gun that might not even exist??  Oh, Wait, were inna Saloon.  Sorry.

4 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

At this particular point in time . . . . Why??  Why do we even care??  Why are we discussing a gun that might not even exist??  Oh, Wait, were inna Saloon.  Sorry.

Have a drink on me for that reply B)

That looks remarkably like a certain toy pistol that I own.

On the other hand, consider this....

776609583_BigIron.thumb.JPG.ce0d966d5065543d2462b0ea78883ac4.JPG

This one is MY Big Iron, inspired by the Wiki description of the one that inspired the song.

Mine is an Armi San Marco, Pietta 1860 grips, and a barrel cut down from a Rossi 92.  I always envisioned the "real" one to have the octagon barrel.   But someone once posted here who said they had seen the original and it has a round barrel.

Mine is a .45, but I can believe that the original was a .44 Magnum with a .44-40 barrel.  If whoever owns the original is here, or if someone here knows the person who has it, I would REALLY like to get a photo of it next to mine.   

Hey, a man can dream.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, I am pretty sure the song was written about the Glock 34. :P

OW! Who threw that? :lol:

Now you know WHY we are putting that Newsome bumper sticker on your bike!

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, I am pretty sure the song was written about the Glock 34. :P

OW! Who threw that? :lol:

Everyone

On 5/11/2021 at 5:25 AM, Cat Brules said:

The song, “El Paso” is another legendary Marty Robbins song, and there are 2 or 3 followup songs to it, (I think....who knows anymore?).

Cat Brules

El Paso, Feleena and El Paso City

On 5/10/2021 at 9:02 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I know some people here have said they have seen the gun.  I think even the owner chimed in once.  But I can't remember for sure.   

I did some googling and for once got an answer. 

@Jayhawker is the one who owned it in 2018.  He's only got one post though, he never even posted a pic. 

@Blaze Kinkaid, SASS #253 Life/Reg also spoke up in that thread indicating he knew some people who knew a bit about the gun.  The names he gave were Jim Martin and Bob Arganbright.  Those don't appear to be SASS aliases.  Does anyone know them? 

Good luck.  I still wanna see a pic of that danged gun! 

At this point, we all know (Right?) that anyone could pop up with a reasonably correct Colt SAA, or a photograph of one, and claim that it IS the “Big Iron“.  Who could claim it not to be so, and prove it wrong?  I can’t.

‘Tell ya’ll what.......let’s a few of us cruise down to Agua Fri, Texas the next fine day we have, and ask around about that old Colt’s revolver!  Anybody?  This time let’s start off by having photos of an old Colt from that supposed time period to compare, and then, if a revolver IS presented by some joker, We get the serial number from the thing, okay?   (Bring bail money; we’ll probably wind up in jail!)

Personally, I just think it was a song inspired by an old Colt’s revolver somebody handed Marty Robbins to look at and handle......maybe.  Could be Marty was simply watching a TV Western and was inspired by a close-up camera-cut to a holstered revolver on someone’s hip as he rode into town.  At this point, likely no one knows (or is able to prove they know) for sure.

What are your thoughts, or what have you seen and heard?  What do you believe?  What do you NOT believe?

Cat Brules

Arizona Rangers had to buy (or Make) their own guns until the Arizona Territory became a STATE on February 14, 1912. Then the Rangers were issued a Colt Six-Shooter. This is the Original "Big Iron" on his hip. Prove me wrong!! 

This being said with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek.

Just sayin' 

Big Jake 1001

shoot yer eye out.jpg

I’ve read this thread and a couple of others here. What I’m about to post is entirely possible, but highly UNLIKELY!!

My dad was a member of the Davidson County Highway Patrol in the ‘50s and a deputy Sheriff in the ’60s in Nashville. He often worked as security at The Grand Ol’ Opry on Friday and Saturday nights, at the “back door” and backstage. He and Marty Robbins were friends. Dad occasionally drove stock cars at Fairgrounds Speedway in Nashville too, so they often raced each other too. 

For show nights, my dad often dressed somewhat “western” and carried a nickel plated, converted Colt 1860 in a black “swivel holster” rig. I remember the gun well! It was impressive!

These are facts! I was young, but I was there.

Could it be that Marty saw that revolver on some Friday or Saturday night at the Opry, asked to see it, (again! he and dad were friends) and that old Colt inspired the song??

Now, more than sixty years later, and apparently with no one living to confirm or deny the possibility…

Archived