SASS Wire Forum

Alaska Shooters - Vacation Ideas

Flying W Ramrod

The Queen of Bling and I are going to be in Alaska, Anchorage,  the first two weeks in September.

After our tour, ends September 7, we're going to stay until the 10th, leaving on the 11th.

We'll spend one day in Palmer and the rest is up in the air.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Good to hear people are still coming up.  Be sure to check on the Covid requirements (whatever they are by the time you come).  

Lots of options depending on what you like.  Anchorage is a city so you don’t get the full Alaska experience.  There are some great trails in and around anchorage, but be prepared.  The Anchorage museum is good, if that’s your bent.  Lots of good restaurants (we have less chains than most places). 

There is not that much going on in Palmer, though you can go to the Muskox farm.  

If you want to see the country, you could drive up to Denali Park.it’s a little canned for me and the only real way to see it is on a bus, which you can get off and hike around. But, be prepared.

When we have visitors, I usually take them  to Talkeetna, which is an old town on a river that is the kick off spot for a lot of folks climbing Denali (Mount McKinley).  Some nice scenery, good restaurants, a nice little museum, and some shops for the wife.  if you are adventurous and have deep pockets, you can do some flight-seeing, maybe a glacier landing.  It can be done in a day or you can stay over.  The  Talkeetna Roadhouse (the historic roadhouse) is a good place to stay and has great food.  There are other, newer hotels as well.  

The other thing we do is drive around the Turnagain Arm and go to Hope (a historic mining town).  Very nice scenery, with a nice history museum some decent restaurants, and places to stay. You could stop in Girdwood on the way and take the sky tram to the top of the mountain or stop at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center to see some Animals.

I am sure others have suggestions.  Remember it’s a big state and plan accordingly.  

If you are driving up, through Canada, please make yourself aware of our Canadian strict gun laws.

I'd hate to see a Pard in a mess at the border.

Ex and I were in Anchorage in June about 2009+/-. They only have about 90 frost free days a year so go with the idea you might see some/lots of snow and shortening days.  Marshall Stone showed me around a little and we got to shoot a little, I did poorly. I will never forget his hospitality and the beautiful area.

Imis 

From Anchorage:

* Take the one day trip up to Cold Foot along the pipe line and then fly back over the Brooks Range.  I did and crossed the Arctic Circle - was 78 degrees and mosquitos  were the size of "dinner plates"

* Or take the Alaska Railroad train ride down to Kenia National Park for a one day adventure and the bus ride back to Anchorage

https://www.nps.gov/kefj/index.htm 

6 hours ago, John Boy said:

From Anchorage:

* Take the one day trip up to Cold Foot along the pipe line and then fly back over the Brooks Range.  I did and crossed the Arctic Circle - was 78 degrees and mosquitos  were the size of "dinner plates"

* Or take the Alaska Railroad train ride down to Kenia National Park for a one day adventure and the bus ride back to Anchorage

https://www.nps.gov/kefj/index.htm 

Anchorage to Coldfoot is a really long day.  I have done it, but I was getting paid.  Also, most rental companies don’t allow you to drive the dalton highway.  There might be a tour bus you could take. 

Archived