SASS Wire Forum

Testing tie-down straps

Alpo

This guy puts a twist in his straps when he ties something onto a trailer. He says the twist prevents it from vibrating and it doesn't sing to you as it goes down the road. Furthermore since it is not vibrating, it neither damages the strap nor it causes cosmetic wear to the load.

I never considered either of those but it makes perfect sense.

Commenters told him that he was reducing his strap's capacity by up to 50%.

I remember from Boy Scouts being told that tying a knot in the rope will reduce its strength by 50%, but I never heard about putting a twist in a strap.

He tests this theory.

Having grown up with a family of truckers, I have always put a twist in the strap for the express purpose of preventing that "thrum" when zipping down the road.

Moreover, I always use enough straps to not even be concerned about potential weakening or a strap parting for any reason.

Edit:  It annoys the heck outta me to see some semi- trundling down the highway with a set of flat straps buzzing like the Hickstown Choir's entire set of vocal cords.  Grandpa would definitely not approve.  

If that were true the DOT would have regulations against truck drivers putting in a twist when securing loads.

BTW I have been putting a twist in tie down straps for years.

I did Motor Carrier Safety my last 5 years on the job. As long as there was enough straps for the load and the Working Load Limits were not exceeded, no problem. As I remember the out-of-service criteria referred to defects and said nothing about twisting the strap. But it has been almost 7 years since I saw any rules.

Hardpan makes a good point, though.

Once working a detail on I-64 near Mount Vernon, IL, I was checking a load on a flatbed. It was a cut up steel tower being scrapped. I counted the tie downs TWICE and asked the driver if he knew he had 3 or 4 extra tie downs than the regulations required. He said his boss told him he was not going to be sued for a million dollars by trying to save $100 in tie downs, so he always used a couple more.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/cargo-securement/cargo-securement-rules

There is wisdom behind the twist.  

From the U S Military Multiservice Helicopter Sling Load: Basic Operations and Equipment manual:

 When rigging the load, make one complete twist of the sling for each 3 feet of sling length. The twists tend to hold the sling loops together better, which keeps the slings from flapping in the wind and setting up a vibration that could cause damage. Hitches should be made as small and neat as possible.

Same principle when using straps to secure loads.  

One thing for sure I have learned from tying down motorcycles on a trailer or in a truck----use 2 on every corner. The one time you don't is the time one fails. There is a reason they are lying all over the interstate!

Archived