SASS Wire Forum

Springs

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I have a new Cimarron America that has a brutal hammer pull.

Same thing for my  new Cimarron 1875 Outlaw.

My son just got a RIA 1911 like mine that he can't rack the slide because the springs are too heavy.

I need some recommendations if you please.

Forty Rod

Check Wolff Gunsprings for suitable replacements. www.gunsprings.com. 

Maybe try changing the main spring in the grip frame.  Factory usually a 23#  try a 19#     Check see what Wolfe recommends   My memory may vary      GW

Some people have tried a Cammer hammer    They radius the hammer below the part that actually strikes the firing pin, changing the effort to operate.      GW

11 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Maybe try changing the main spring in the grip frame.  Factory usually a 23#  try a 19#     Check see what Wolfe recommends   My memory may vary      GW

I use Wolf springs throughout the RIA 1911 to use in WILD BUNCH.  As per Wolf warning, I would not dare fire hard ball ammo with too light recoil spring.

At one time, VTI was selling lighter mainsprings for the Remingtons. (1875+1890)

https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=26&cat=Uberti+1875+Outlaw+and+1890+Police

Code: SI:187501  $19 ea

FYI, extra hand and bolt springs are a good idea... 

Just to clarify, my comments pertain to 1911      And the mainspring in frame, not recoil spring in slide         GW

I have a high mileage RIA in 45 .. also a Para 1640 ... both run Wolf 15lb mainsprings and 13lb recoil springs (for everything from powder puffs to factory).

The 15lb mainspring makes a very noticeable difference in the effort required to rack the slide as well as trigger pull.

1911s.jpg.827d7985705019c971136f4be4fbd5c2.jpg 

On the American, pull the grips and make sure that the mainspring isn’t riding against the grip frame when you try to cock the gun. If it is, carefully re-arch the spring a little at a time until the hammer cocks without the spring coming in contact with the grip frame. You’ll get a more harmonious outcome without spending a nickel.

On the 1875, you can buy Uberti’s lightend spring from VTI or you can again, re-arch the spring a little bit at a time until you get the effort reduced to a comfortable level.  When my “gunsmithed” springs failed after several years of heavy shooting schedule. I ordered the VTI springs for my match guns. While I waited for delivery, I swapped in the factory springs from another pair. STIFF AS A CRUTCH!!  I had done the re-arch on my Model 3 Russians and had great results, (a fellow shooter had tipped me on the Russians and other S&W clones) so I tried it with the Remingtons. SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!  They worked better than ever!! When the VTI springs arrived, I swapped them into my match guns, they were stiffer than the ones I took out, so I did the re-arch trick and those springs are STILL in those guns ten years later!  

On the Remingtons they used to come with an adjustment screw to set the mainspring tension. I’m told that they don’t come that way any longer.

If you decide to do the spring trick, REMEMBER!! A little at a time!!  You can bend ‘em back if you go too far, but if you take your time and do it gradually, you will have great results!!

Archived