SASS Wire Forum

Got wood?

I just read the the price of wood now is adding $35,000.00 to the price of a new construction single family home.

I shoot with small contractor he said plywood is up 300% and framing lumber is Double  . so glad I got my roof done last year 

I bought a new McCaffrey home 2 1/2 years ago. The same model has gone up $95,000 in the past 12 months do to two things. The cost of lumber and the inability to find workers because unemployment is paying so much.

I went to Home Depot last week. 2 x 4 x 8' @ $9.00 (MOL) and 4' x 8' x 1/2" plywood @ $80.00.

There is lots of remodels around here as Pinellas County is pretty much built out. The contractors are pulling nails out of the 2 x 4's and reusing what they.  Some of these 2 x 4's are from the '40's and '50's. Some of them are actually 2" X 4" and are damn near petrified. Used to be that you'd see the jobsite dumpster bins filled with used lumber, not anymore, it gets reused.

If I hadn't saved the wood from the last hurricane to board up for the next hurricane, it would probably cost $1,000 to $1,500 just in lumber to board up and that doesn't include tapcons. The hurricane wood has been sitting stacked up on the side of the house, exposed to the weather and somewhat warped....but it's paid for and cut to size. Unfortunately, this will be the last season for that wood and will have to start new next May.

I'm glad i got some wood about a year ago for the back porch project. Got it stored in the barn till I get around to the job. No telling when that will but at last I have all the materials without having to sell the car.

My daughter and her husband have been having a house built in N.C. and after three years the job isn't done and the estimated cost is 1/3 higher. than they planned.

My 1991 vintage house has doubled and more in the 7 1/2 years since we bought it.

Some is cost of materials and some is the demands of Californians dying to move here so they'll have someplace else to screw up.

19 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I'm glad i got some wood about a year ago for the back porch project. Got it stored in the barn till I get around to the job. No telling when that will but at last I have all the materials without having to sell the car.

You could sell the wood and buy a new car....  :rolleyes:

A $30.00 porch repair cost me $100.00 this weekend. Sitting by the fire relaxing and a (the?) porcupine strolls across the yard. As my wife has never seen one up close I walked out and stopped it. Wanted to stop it permanently but my bride said it was too cute. It kinda was though.... If it chews up the porch again there wont be any doubt about it's future!

$86 for 3/4" 4x8' Oak plywood at Menards. Last time I got some several years ago was $45

4 X 8 7/16ths OSB 2 years ago was about $6 a sheet. Now it is $60 to $70 a sheet. That is a 10 fold increase in price. 

For those that don't know the above is what is under the shingles on your roof, Behind the siding on the exterior walls and under all the floors in all modern construction. Think about how many sheets are in a 2000 sq foot house.

The price of houses selling in my area has gone crazy.  The problem is, we just got reassessed and our property taxes went up $600.   We don't plan on selling so it's just costing me more money.

They are cutting down the pine bark beetle killed ponderosa here as fast as they can so it isn’t a lack of material. 

15 minutes ago, Cholla said:

They are cutting down the pine bark beetle killed ponderosa here as fast as they can so it isn’t a lack of material. 

A bunch of cutting by us in northwest Michigan. Pine, popple, oak. Be great for the animals. The popple is really coming in thick in the cuts of the last two years.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

4 X 8 7/16ths OSB 2 years ago was about $6 a sheet. Now it is $60 to $70 a sheet. That is a 10 fold increase in price. 

For those that don't know the above is what is under the shingles on your roof, Behind the siding on the exterior walls and under all the floors in all modern construction. Think about how many sheets are in a 2000 sq foot house.

6 bucks is deal when i got roof done last year is was $23 sheet  now 70  

think how many sheet in 4200 sqft house and garage 

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

The price of houses selling in my area has gone crazy.  The problem is, we just got reassessed and our property taxes went up $600.   We don't plan on selling so it's just costing me more money.

My property assessment went down. I expect it’ll drop more when they build the solar farm next door. It looks like 

I’ll be willing this to somebody, not selling it. :(

I asked my son-in-law why he's using yew for the interior of his house.  After he explained how attractive and easy to work with yew is (Yew is not.  I is too.  Sorry, I couldn't stop myself) he said it's actually cheaper the pine or fir in his area (So Carolina) and easier to find that maple, oak or other nicely figured woods.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I asked my son-in-law why he's using yew for the interior of his house.  After he explained how attractive and easy to work with yew is (Yew is not.  I is too.  Sorry, I couldn't stop myself) he said it's actually cheaper the pine or fir in his area (So Carolina) and easier to find that maple, oak or other nicely figured woods.

Yew'll be sorry for that joke...

Archived