SASS Wire Forum

Shot a New Category on Saturday........

We started a New Category at LSFSC.

Shady & myself shot it for the first time at our Club on Saturday and it was a Blast!!!

We're calling it    PIKE

It is Cowboy Action with a 1911.     It is NOT Wild Bunch !!!!!

Some other Clubs have been shooting it for quite a spell now,

I heard about it here on the Wire in another Post and thought it would be Fun.... It Is !!!

Stages are shot per CAS stage instructions, no change in rifle or shotgun, but instead of 2 revolvers....

Shooter carries one 1911 and two mags w/ 5 rounds each

And it was a Blast. :D

Everyone enjoyed it and Several more shooters said they're bringing their 1911's next time.

I don’t think them new-fangled pistols are going to catch on. ;)

33 minutes ago, Joe Cross, SASS #13848 L said:

Is the 1911 mag loaded at the loading table, as in WB, or are the mags staged/carried and loaded on the clock?

Both mags loaded at loading table.

Start stage with Slide closed, Hammer down on Empty Chamber and one loaded Mag in the pistol,

second Mag can be carried in a holder on your body or staged.

You charge the pistol On the Clock.

Once the pistol has been shot and is Safe...

And Safe is....  with either the Slide forward and Hammer down on Empty Chamber or Slide Locked Back, Open and Empty.

Then you can either re-holster it or sit it in a Safe position on the stage.

While on the stage, a Loaded pistol leaving the Shooters hand is a Stage DQ.

3 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

We started a New Category at LSFSC.

Shady & myself shot it for the first time at our Club on Saturday and it was a Blast!!!

We're calling it    PIKE

It is Cowboy Action with a 1911.     It is NOT Wild Bunch !!!!!

Some other Clubs have been shooting it for quite a spell now,

I heard about it here on the Wire in another Post and thought it would be Fun.... It Is !!!

Stages are shot per CAS stage instructions, no change in rifle or shotgun, but instead of 2 revolvers....

Shooter carries one 1911 and two mags w/ 5 rounds each

And it was a Blast. :D

Everyone enjoyed it and Several more shooters said they're bringing their 1911's next time.

Good for you!! They allow Pike out here and there are no problems. Brass pickers complain a bit. Pike only compete against themselves or other Pike shooters.

Texican Rangers calls it 1911 category.  Plum Creek Shooting Society calls it Wild Bunch Lite (they might stoke the shotgun at the loading table, I don't recall).  Somebody should make some little buttons that say "I Like Pike"

13 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Good for you!! They allow Pike out here and there are no problems. Brass pickers complain a bit. Pike only compete against themselves or other Pike shooters.

Yep,

There was a little bit of Good Natured Grumbling from the Brass Pickers about the X-tra Work....

So If you plan shoot PIKE ....  Be Sure you're one of the First Up to be picking Brass ;)

And Goody.... Yep my 38 Super cycles a 1911 just Fine :D

Oh Yea... In PIKE you can shoot Any Caliber your little heart desires B)

2 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Oh Yea... In PIKE you can shoot Any Caliber your little heart desires B)

TSK< TSK< TSK. So they had a ladies category.

5 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

TSK< TSK< TSK. So they had a ladies category.

Pike does not discriminate....

Ladies, Kids, Tweeners, Old Geezers, Really Old Grumpy Geezers.... Even Goody can shoot it. No Problemo !!!

1 hour ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Pike does not discriminate....

Ladies, Kids, Tweeners, Old Geezers, Really Old Grumpy Geezers.... Even Goody can shoot it. No Problemo !!!

You gonna be my native gun bearer?

6 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

You gonna be my native gun bearer?

Yes Bwana, I will be your faithful servant ....... :P

18 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Yes Bwana, I will be your faithful servant ....... :P

Please, call me Sahib in front of company.

So, two 2 magazines total.....5 rounds each....(are you allowed to carry one magazine in a lower/upper vest pocket, as the “holder”?  

Is the 1911 carried to the line loaded with one in the chamber, or must the shooter insert the first 5-rnd mag and rack the pistol at the beep/on the clock?  OR, may the shooter carry the pistol empty, locked-back, to the line, then at the beep, insert the first mag, tripping the slide, to allow the pistol to self-load the first round?  OR, is the first loaded mag inserted into the closed-slide pistol at the loading table and the shooter then rack the slide on the firing line at the beep?  May the shooter eject the first spent magazine onto the ground?  Must the shooter eject the 2nd spent magazine on the clock, leaving the slide locked back?  (I say, “Yes!”.)  May the shooter hold the second (loaded) magazine in his hand while firing the first mag, using two2 hands?, or must the second mag be in the “holder” until ready for use?  Must the shooter eject the second spent magazine on the clock, or may he leave it in the pistol with the slide locked back (open)?  (If he ejects the second spent mag, the slide will stay open anyway, displaying the weapon as empty.)

The weapon must be taken to the unloading table with the action locked back (open), with no magazine inserted, right?

I think these are all valid questions/concerns, since they are all safety-related, especially when (probably) half the shooters may only have minimal, limited experience with semi-automatic handguns, and maybe some-to-none with the 1911.  (This is a cowboy action, single action event, right?)  Again, safety is obviously the big issue here; the pistol does a lot of the work, so it’s not like dealing with a single-action revolver.  For instance, the 1911 jams or just doesn’t fire when the hammer drops the first time (reloads, right?), and as the shooter fiddles with it on the firing line, he unthinkingly turns sideways on the firing line, into the TO....bang.  He freaks(!), but his finger is still on the trigger...bang, again!   Aye, Chihuahua....Bad ju-ju right there!  Should the TOs wear body armor for this one, or just stay home?  I don’t think this Pike stage is a good idea for SASS/CAS. 

Cat Brules

I think he spelled it out in a previous post. Your concerns may be valid. My question for you is who certifies CAS at your club. How do you know each is proficient and safe to handle a loaded firearm. be it revolver or rifle? I think you paint a dark picture, intentionally leaning towards the operation of the semi-automatic pistol.

Goody,

I don't think Cat Likes it.... :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Goody,

I don't think Cat Likes it.... :rolleyes:

Yup, considering he didn't even bother to read the explanation. PS, the idea of the .38 Super sounds.......Super!

[Deac runs for cover...]

7 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Yup, considering he didn't even bother to read the explanation. PS, the idea of the .38 Super sounds.......Super!

[Deac runs for cover...]

He doesn't shoot anyhow. 

Just stirs the pot. :rolleyes:

OLG 

We do this at Firelands! Simply substitute your 1911 for two pistols and you can shoot whatever rifle you have that's SASS legal. Your 97 can be stoked with 4 but you cannot make up the missed targets and we score the WB/Pike shooters separately.

It's a chance to use you 1911 once in a while. I may do it this weekend! 

Interesting... 

Same ammo limitations for the 1911 such as all lead or would frangible be ok? Also, does it have to be a full sized 1911 or could I should my 4" kimber? If factory loaded frangible ammo (99.9% certain ball ammo is no bueno) is allowed I'd consider asking my club about it. I just have no desire to waste primers and powder on .45 right now with prices where they are. 

8 minutes ago, Lassy LaRock said:

Should a category with revolvers also be installed in WB for the sake of completeness?:P

Yup, any centerfire handgun produced prior to 11-11-1918!

14 minutes ago, Lassy LaRock said:

Should a category with revolvers also be installed in WB for the sake of completeness?:P

I've got no problem with that.  However, those stages with 35 pistol might take you a while.  

19 hours ago, Hoss said:

I don’t think them new-fangled pistols are going to catch on. ;)

Yeah! Pike Landusky, founder of the Montana town of that name, encountered Harvey Logan (alias Kid Curry) in Jake Harris' saloon, and attempted to shoot him with one of those new-fangled semi-automatic pistols, which misfired or something.  Whereupon Logan pulled a Colt's Single Action and shot Landusky dead! :o

When Tom Horn escaped from the jail where he was being held, he grabbed a semi-auto pistol (Luger?).  When the posse caught up with him, he couldn't figure out how to get the thing to shoot, so he was recaptured and hanged! :(

In Montan, a number of semi-auto pistols (NOT the 1911) were outlawed until sometime around 1967 or so. :unsure:  I do remember the change being discussed at the Malmstrom AFB Rod & Gun Club meeting.

Archived