SASS Wire Forum

Vaquero options

Johnny Knight

Morning all,

New to SASS, but not new to shooting.  I'm hoping for some input regarding Ruger Vaquero's.  I've pretty well decided to track down a pair for main match use, but was curious as to whether there are particular things to look out for.  I've shot a Ruger Bisley in 45LC/45Auto, blued, 7 1/2" (a 1976 commemorative edition) for years, which is one reason I want to stick with the Vaquero, but I haven't kept track whether some models or years of production are better than others.  I've heard of occasional transfer bar issues, and seen some commentary on a blown out cylinder, in looking through some of the old posts here on the Wire, but my experience has been as reliable as clockwork.  Looking for something with the barrels between the 4 5/8" and the 5 1/2" since I'll be using the same guns for mounted shooting.  Still going back and forth on blued vs stainless.  Not having yet had the chance to compare the new model vs the original, I know the new model is slightly smaller, which will probably work better for me.  Hopefully I'll be able to try some in hand between a local club shoot this weekend and trying to catch a local gun show (although there weren't any at the last gun show I was at a month ago).  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Johnny

Most (not all) of the New models use a lockable mainspring, which is a little different that the original design. I do believe you can retrofit to an original style strut/spring combo though. I know this as my buddy had me slick his up and one had the new style mainspring, one had the old style and both were NMVs!

If you have them cleaned up by someone who knows what they are doing, they should run like Swiss watches. I think some (maybe all) of the blued guns use aluminum extractor housings.

I've been shooting Ruger Vaquero's in matches since the mid nineties. I love them and wouldn't change. Ol' Ruger has nailed the quality control and design, but I would install free spin pawls. And I've been toying with idea of changing hammers (blackhawk or bisely?). I currently own 5 Vaquero's all old model .44 mag. Two 5.5 " two 7.5" one 4.75" all stainless with stag grips. The grips now sell for what I paid for my first Vaquero's!!!

If you like the grip and feel of a Colt SAA the New Vaquero feels similar, but heavier. 
The original Vaqueros have just a bit longer trigger pull and are heavier in weight overall. 
Ruger removed the internal lock at some point. I have a New Vaquero made in 2016 and it does not have the lock. 
My older New Vaqueros bought in 2005 did have the lock. 
If you have bigger hands (wear 2XL gloves or larger) the New Vaquero may feel a bit cramped to you if you are used to a Blackhawk sized grip. 
My original pair of Vaqueros that have well over 10,000 rounds through them still run strong. My son-in-law has them now. 
Ruger Vaqueros regardless of vintage are tough reliable guns. 

I forgot to mention that if you shoot Duelist you may wish to consider Super Blackhawk hammers. 

Thanks for the suggestion Pat.  I'm sold enough on the Vaquero's that I've already picked up two of the Super Blackhawk hammers since I saw that quite a few folks were happy with them.  Figured it would give me more options on the guns I plan on hanging onto for a long time.

1 hour ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Most (not all) of the New models use a lockable mainspring, which is a little different that the original design. I do believe you can retrofit to an original style strut/spring combo though. I know this as my buddy had me slick his up and one had the new style mainspring, one had the old style and both were NMVs!

If you have them cleaned up by someone who knows what they are doing, they should run like Swiss watches. I think some (maybe all) of the blued guns use aluminum extractor housings.

Different grip frame for the stupid lock.

You can make one from a #10 fender washer.

IIRC, Ruger discontinued the lock some time ago.

OLG 

If you are going to use the same revolvers for cowboy mounted action shooting, I beleive you'll need to buy 45 colts  as that is what the mounted shooters use.

If you are not experienced with black powder,  I would suggest stainless steel, given the mounted folk use black powder blanks and the SS will be a little easier to  see the residue on and clean up.

The one thing about the stainless Vaqueros that I don’t like is that the front sight is just as shiny and polished as the rest of the gun. I used a jewelers file to dull the shine but in some light it’s still hard to see. Flat black paint over the roughed up back edge of the front sight contrasts very well with the matte silver rear sight. 

Other than that I really like them. 

I put a brass wrap on the front sight on all my SASS pistols.

Sacramento, thanks for input.  I was already looking at 45 LC, since I've been shooting it already and have a lightning rifle in that caliber.  I was out at a cowboy mounted shoot this weekend after getting my horse gun trained over the last two weeks.  She only gave me a little rodeo when I asked her to become a barrel racer.  I've been loading black powder blanks as part of her training process, so familiar with the cleanup on that.

Pit Bull and Pat, thanks for the suggestion on the sights.  I'm partial to the blued and case hardened looks, but am inclined towards the stainless especially when you throw the horse sweat in.  From what I'm gathering, there doesn't appear to be any 'bad run' on the guns, a far as particular years or models to avoid.  So, sounds like I'll just have to figure out if I want to go with the 4 5/8 or the 5 1//2 barrels.....

Shorter barrels, even 3 1/2" are popular in mounted shooting both for quicker in/out of the holster (more important with a fast horse), and because riders often have their guns holstered more in front of them and there is less room for longer barrels.

Hi Abilene, thanks for the input.  I was out at a CMSA event this last weekend in Brenham where I was chatting with most of the competitors to see what rigs they were running.  It looked like the really short barrels were used mostly by the women who had both guns front and center on the specialty belly rig.  A number of the men were also going with the front and center.  I'm not a fan of that style, since it doesn't look anything like a classic western look.  There were also a number of folks using a more classic cross draw rig, some of which will meet the SASS 30 degree holster rule.  I'm much more inclined to want to wear my guns where both barrels aren't pointed right at either my crotch, or the horse's back, just how I roll.  The plan is to sort out a rig with a cross draw holster paired with a strong side holster so that it is comfortable to wear while riding.  I'd rather have the one rig I wear, whether mounted or not, and just learn to shoot out of it.  It may not be the fastest rig, but that what makes sense to me.  Of course everyone will have their own opinions, that's why they make more than one rig.  As always the real answer is to try it and see if it works out the way I hope it will.  Even if slightly faster, I don't want to go shorter than the 4 5/8", the guns just look better to me with a bit more barrel.

Archived