SASS Wire Forum

SPF Two Uberti 1873 Gunfighters in 44-40

Sold pending funds  I have up for sale my two Uberti Gunfighters in 44-40.  They were my main match guns for about 2 years.  They have the larger Army grips so you pinky has a place on the grip.  They are Taylor Tuned and run smooth.  It is rare to find the Uberti Gunfighter model in 44-40. 1200 + shipping & insurance for the pair.  They are not consecutive serial numbered but they are only one digit apart.  I am only selling them because I have changed from 44-40 to 357 for all my guns and I don’t think I will be shooting these again.

“Full Disclosure” I sold these guns to a person on the Wire and he had trouble with the primers not reseating after being fired.  I didn’t look close enough at the guns when he returned them and gave him his money back.  Had I looked close I would have seen that he took a Dremil tool to the blast shield and tried to cut a ramp into the blast shield from the firing pin hole to about half  way to the where the next cylinder would be.  I suppose he was trying to get the primers to reseat using this ramp.  I could not get Taylors to guarantee them because of his dremil work. 

To fix this problem I took them apart and sent them to a place that does precision laser welding.  They are known for doing the same repair to high priced shotguns because when a $12000 shotgun has this problem it is foolish to just throw it away.  They laser welded the dremil marks and the area around the firing pin hole. They told me that this weld is actually stronger then the original metal.

I had a local gunsmith dress the welds on the blast shields to regain the proper head space and make them look pretty again.  This whole event cost me another $300 to get them fixed. I have fired about 75 rounds threw each with out any problems. They are both working fine now and should give the new owners many years of use.  I will give the purchaser the standard 3 day inspection period.

Gunfighters full view.jpg

The guy drimilled them and then returned them....WTH?!?!?!  That's a load of bull pucky!! I'd send him the bill for the necessary repairs! Some people....geeeeezzz! You're far nicer than I would have been.

BUMP!!

1 hour ago, Doc Ironbeard said:

The guy drimilled them and then returned them....WTH?!?!?!  That's a load of bull pucky!! I'd send him the bill for the necessary repairs! Some people....geeeeezzz! You're far nicer than I would have been.

BUMP!!

I would but I lost his contact info.

• 2 weeks later...

His "problem" with backed out primers was almost certainly due to extremely light loads. Not the gun.  A lesson here is never tinker with a gun without establishing that you are not being stupid with your ammo.    And also, hide the Dremel tool from any new shooter for a couple of years, until they learn the ropes.  And also, if other folks don't have problems with their guns, and you do, assume you don't know what the problem is yet and leave the guns alone until you investigate!

good luck, GJ

Just had this problem. Buyer  asked if I test fired the guns, all light primer hits. Turns out the tuned guns wouldn’t set of CCI primers, he put in heavier springs and problem solved until he can find Federal primers.

• 1 month later...

We bought a pair of Smoke Wagons 44WCF off the Wire Classifieds.  From first shots they would lock up.  Found that the area around firing pin hole was cratered.  The primers would deform into the crater and lock up the gun.  Of course the person who sold me the guns said it must have been something I did because they worked fine for him.  As Uberti Cattalman do not have replaceable firing pin bushing,  we were screwed. 

Several gunsmiths wouldn't/ couldn't fix them. Said take them to a gunshow and trade them off. Ahlman's in Morristown,Minnesota TIG welding the craters and they were better than new.  $400 to repair both guns.

I found the tips of the firing pins we a sharp triangle shape. They were perching the primers letting the hot gasses erode the breach face away.  I replaced the firing pins.

Yeah, one always should examine the recoil shield and firing pin tips when buying SAA designs.   Many folks check trigger pull, bolt lockup and cylinder shake.  Even throat cutting.  Add the recoil shields to your list.

good luck, GJ

• 1 month later...

Archived