SASS Wire Forum

Uberti ‘73 carrier

Snake-eye, SASS#45097

I may have to replace the brass carrier on my .44 rifle before to long. Debating an aluminum one vs. a skeltonized brass which is what’s in there now. Looking for opinions and experiences.

I've not made any in .44 so can't expound on that.    However I've made .357 out of brass, aluminum,  titanium,  stainless,  delron.. sp?, as well as several different alloys.    What are you looking to get out of it?   

Aluminum will be lighter but unless hard coated it will wear a ton faster.   I usually will swap mine out about every 20k  I do have a new type of hard coat that is running over 40k with minimal wear.   

Brass has less issues over all to me.  Lightened makes it close to aluminum in weight but stronger. 

My recommendation.   Stick with brass 

"Lightened makes it close to aluminum in weight but stronger"

Could you quote us some actual weights of your  brass and aluminum carriers? I have 2 aluminum and 3 lightened brass and I can't see where you could remove enough brass to get them close to being the same in weight. 

11 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

"Lightened makes it close to aluminum in weight but stronger"

Could you quote us some actual weights of your  brass and aluminum carriers? I have 2 aluminum and 3 lightened brass and I can't see where you could remove enough brass to get them close to being the same in weight. 

Your correct, can’t come close to a aluminum carrier in weight. Stock weight for a .38 brass carrier is 3.7 oz, the weight for the same carrier after being milled by Cody Conagher Is 2.9 oz, the weight for a Cowboy & Indian’s .38 aluminum carrier is .98 oz.  If one shoots 5 matches a month for all 12 months it would be 7,200 rounds. Close to 3 years for 20,000 rounds. Replacing the aluminum carrier for $75 every three years is cheap compared to the other costs in this game.

2 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

That would be on the low end of the scale of what we shoot.

kR

Okay, once a year replacement is still cheap maintenance for the sport.  Not many shooters average 5 matches a month  12 months a year in Minnesota, Wisconsin.

On 5/10/2021 at 11:23 AM, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

I may have to replace the brass carrier on my .44 rifle before to long. Debating an aluminum one vs. a skeltonized brass which is what’s in there now. Looking for opinions and experiences.

What caused your carrier to "wear out"?  Asking because mine is 20 years old and I'd hate to have it break because I didn't check for?

The area that the lifter rides on and pushes up on the carrier is thin and showing a slight bulge. I believe that’s the way it came not excessive wear. At some point the thin brass will fail, that’s why I plan to replace it. I’m going to go with brass replacement.

Anybody got one they would sell?

My main match 73 in .45 Colt has 15 years of moderate use.  And a C&I aluminum carrier since I short stroked it within 6 months of getting it.     I'd guess 60,000 rounds through it with Cowboy and Wild Bunch both.  Got lotsa life still in it.

good luck, GJ

They are typically supplied with the rifle from the manufacturer. Skeletonizing just cuts away some of the brass in none essential areas to lighten it.

Archived